Options

CCNA home lab

dwadwa Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I prepare my CCNA home lab this i found on ebay so please give me some suggestions (im new in cisco and i dont know much about switches and routers icon_sad.gif )

2 x 2620 XM FE Rounter Memory 96D-32F
1 x WS-C2924-XL-EN
1 x WS-C2950-24
1 x 2610 Router

i almost forgot,this equipment i want to use for ccna security and ccnp,just to upgrade for appropriate exam

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    dwa wrote: »
    I prepare my CCNA home lab this i found on ebay so please give me some suggestions (im new in cisco and i dont know much about switches and routers icon_sad.gif )

2 x 2620 XM FE Rounter Memory 96D-32F
    1 x WS-C2924-XL-EN
    1 x WS-C2950-24
    1 x 2610 Router

i almost forgot,this equipment i want to use for ccna security and ccnp,just to upgrade for appropriate exam

I'm not sure about the C2924-XL-EN, that's different from the regular C2950...someone else can explain the difference and if it's worth it.

It's hard to buy equipment now and be prepared for future exams. If you want to at least try to protect yourself, then also include the 3550 Switch because you'll want to play with ip routing/layer 3 on that switch for inter-vlan communications.

But based on your budget that you told me, one 3550 on eBay will already blow your budget....
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the C2924-XL-EN, that's different from the regular C2950...someone else can explain the difference and if it's worth it.

It's hard to buy equipment now and be prepared for future exams. If you want to at least try to protect yourself, then also include the 3550 Switch because you'll want to play with ip routing/layer 3 on that switch for inter-vlan communications.

But based on your budget that you told me, one 3550 on eBay will already blow your budget....
    3550 = all equip. above :) but 3550 will need me for CCNP not for CCNA right ?
  • Options
    dwa wrote: »
    3550 = all equip. above :) but 3550 will need me for CCNP not for CCNA right ?

Right, you don't need the 3550 for CCNA. But you mentioned you wanted to have equipment for both right?

If you can get the 3550 now, you won't have that much more to afford for CCNP. If you get just 2950, you'll most likely, or at least should try to get 3550 for CCNP.

Also, for your routers, make sure they can support SDM. If they don't, then you will need to be a router that is SDM capable....
  • Options
    Right, you don't need the 3550 for CCNA. But you mentioned you wanted to have equipment for both right?

If you can get the 3550 now, you won't have that much more to afford for CCNP. If you get just 2950, you'll most likely, or at least should try to get 3550 for CCNP.

Also, for your routers, make sure they can support SDM. If they don't, then you will need to be a router that is SDM capable....

when i start with CCNP than i want to upgrade the equipment,not now,now im starting with CCNA,in the first post i like to say equipment to be usefull for CCNP not to sell and then buy another routers and switches,2620XM routers support SDM,2610 no
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What you have now will get you through the CCNA. Two switches is enough, though if you can get another 2950, you'll be able to lab up more interesting scenarios. The 2900XL is missing a few commands compared to the 2950 and is better suited as a third router, but if you don't want to buy anything else right now, you'll be fine. And you're good on routers.

The 2900XL probably isn't going to be of much use for the CCNA security or the CCNP though. I doubt you'd get enough to justify the time and effort of trying to sell it so you might as well do something with it now. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »

The 2900XL probably isn't going to be of much use for the CCNA security or the CCNP though. I doubt you'd get enough to justify the time and effort of trying to sell it so you might as well do something with it now. icon_mrgreen.gif

I would love to offload my XL switches. The cost of shipping them is probably more than what they are worth!!!!
  • Options
    I would love to offload my XL switches. The cost of shipping them is probably more than what they are worth!!!!

On the bright side, they make good spacers in your rack. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    On the bright side, they make good spacers in your rack. icon_mrgreen.gif

I think my best bet is to donate them to some school and get a tax write off!!!!
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    I think my best bet is to donate them to some school and get a tax write off!!!!

Or mail them to me

!!!! 5/5

package received!!
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    Selfmade wrote: »
    Or mail them to me

!!!! 5/5

package received!!

ha! You are much better off with worthy switches in your lab.....
  • Options
    Selfmade wrote: »
    Or mail them to me

!!!! 5/5

package received!!

What are you going to do with all our old 2900XL's? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    What are you going to do with all our old 2900XL's? icon_scratch.gif

That's a good question isn't it? icon_twisted.gif
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    What you have now will get you through the CCNA. Two switches is enough, though if you can get another 2950, you'll be able to lab up more interesting scenarios. The 2900XL is missing a few commands compared to the 2950 and is better suited as a third router, but if you don't want to buy anything else right now, you'll be fine. And you're good on routers.

so i will change 2924XL out,2950 IN :D
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Would any 2950 do for the CCNA? I was looking the other day and there were several variations.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Would any 2950 do for the CCNA? I was looking the other day and there were several variations.

The 2950 with the enhanced image is always preferred over the standard image and will take you further in your studies. But for the CCNA, the differences won't really affect you. The only thing you'll really be missing at this level is RSTP.

Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series: Standard Image vs Enhanced Image
  • Options
    Conclusion : this is good lab just to change the 2924XL with another 2950,now help me with the modules what module to buy ?
  • Options
    mensmens Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    buy 2 wic-1t and a NM-4A/S, and maybe one more switch if you can.