IT Newbie

securityparlaysecurityparlay Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good morning everyone,

I have not worked in the IT field and I'm looking to break into it. A friend suggested getting into security.

I was hoping to find some help with finding a good book to help me study for the Security+ Exam. I've noticed that most of the Security+ books written are intended for an audience that already have some experience. Being that I am not experienced, these book are going to be a bit hard for me to read through.

I'm thinking that I can just refer to the internet for any networking definitions and concepts. But, I would really like to find a book that will sort of hold my hand.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a book that might do this?

I also found this book on Amazon that looks like a real winner: Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books
Certs: None.
Reading: A+ Exam Guide, 7th ed. by Mike Meyers... ~350 pages through

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've not begun my studies yet, but everyone says that book is the champion, hands down. I'll be ordering my copy shortly.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Samurai004Samurai004 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your going to get your Sec+ certification, you might want to look at getting A+ and Network+ first. They seem to lay a good foundation for the Sec+ exam. I especially found the Network+ material helpful in feeling comfortable with the Sec+.

But if you have a degree or something else to bring to the table and all you need is the Sec+ cert then you might want to look at TestOut interactive video training. I normally watch videos in the related area of study and THEN read the books. I feel much more comfortable learning that way personally. Sec+ videos were helpful when trying to get the idea of private/public key exchanges.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you!icon_thumright.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have not worked in the IT field and I'm looking to break into it. A friend suggested getting into security.

I was hoping to find some help with finding a good book to help me study for the Security+ Exam. I've noticed that most of the Security+ books written are intended for an audience that already have some experience. Being that I am not experienced, these book are going to be a bit hard for me to read through.

I'm thinking that I can just refer to the internet for any networking definitions and concepts. But, I would really like to find a book that will sort of hold my hand.

I also found this book on Amazon that looks like a real winner: Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

Try that book. Also have a look at the published standards for security audits. Technical security posts might not be appropriate with your background.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Darril's actually a member here; that book has gotten fantastic reviews.

As noted earlier, you might be better of starting with the A+/Network+ since a lot of that knowledge is the foundation of the Security+.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 They do build off each other. Unless you already possess A+ knowledge I'd take it first. The Net+ should be a prerequisite for the Sec+ with the amount of material you'll be seing again in more detail.
    For the A+ I'd go with Mile Meyers 7th ed, For Net+ several books are good and use the Labsim as the videos will show you things you may later need in a work environment.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also all 3 (A+,Net+,Sec+) will no longer be life certifications at the end of this year. So scooping them up now isn't a bad idea.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • securityparlaysecurityparlay Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick replies guys!!

Good luck to everyone!
  • OPRYSTAROPRYSTAR Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No offense intended, but I am curious about your age and level of education (and in what field).
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    Darril's actually a member here; that book has gotten fantastic reviews.

As noted earlier, you might be better of starting with the A+/Network+ since a lot of that knowledge is the foundation of the Security+.

+1 You have to have a foundation to begin with before trying to get into security. I don't plan to touch any serious security certifications until I finish the MCITP:EA, and get a job in Network Administration, or System Administration.
    Also all 3 (A+,Net+,Sec+) will no longer be life certifications at the end of this year. So scooping them up now isn't a bad idea.

A very good point.
  • DAVID QDAVID Q Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good morning everyone,

Yes if your fortunate enough to live in a medium to big size city I suggest go to the Main Public library of your city. I know in Cleveland where I am from the Main branch IS located Down Town they have Tons of books on Networking and computer related materials also if a certain book is not available ask librarian if they can order it. Many are nice enough to order a book for you to check out.

I once saved money on a college textbook.
    Amazon is also a good place to find bargins so is AbeBooks Official Site - New & Used Books, New & Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books especially older versions of books. Some real bargains can be found. And many of the last AND back editions of books only change slightly more than the newest editions but not that much.

I now have books by Mike Meyers his A plus and Networking plus also lets not forget about Scott Muellers Upgrading and Repairing Pcs.all provided by my local library the Main Branch. Youtube.com is another secret which I shouldn't let out the box but they have tons of IT related material and tutors. from networking, to building computers, and certification materials.

If you want to know the latests about processors visit Uncomplicating the Complicated | Hardware Secrets, and PCSTATS.com - PC Hardware Reviews and Guides - Get The 'Stats and Stay Informed! they have many tech secrets for beginners and intermediates like you and me.
    OTHERS ARE.
    MC MCSE Certification Top Sites

Front Page | StudyNotes.net

AND Free MCSE MCTS MCITP CCNA CompTIA CWNA and CISSP exams and study notes IS FAR THE BEST

But the main thing you will need is hands on so to purchase computer equipment for building desktops,workstations, and servers visit ebay.com, computergeeks.com, and pcsurplusonline.com. If you want the latest computer parts I suggest www.compusa.com,www.tigerdirect.com, and microcenter which should have a physical location plus all these companies that I have mention sell the Barebones Kits which is a savings.

ALSO SCHOOLING WILL BE NICE. I attend a community college in Cleveland Ohio hope to earn and associates degree in networking along with some certifications before graduating. Also reading many computer books and IT related materials and getting certifications ahead of time will help you breeze through college courses.

Now on the other hand If you have some experience behind your belt and your kind of confident and you know what your doing already and you have the basics down I would try a Temp Agency that specializes in IT RELATED JOBS for something maybe in tech support or desktop support which requires and above average understanding of Windos Xp,Vista, and 7 and as a bonus Apple Mac Os X and Linux would be a good resume builder along with Office 2007 and Open Office.
    While! I just create too much competitions for myself by giving all this Info up

OTHER THAN THAT WELCOME TO THE CLUB I AM A BEGINNER MYSELF.
    OPRYSTAR wrote: »
    No offense intended, but I am curious about your age and level of education (and in what field).

I'm 29 and I have a BA in Economics.
    ok, so after some asking and reading around... sounds like i should get the A+ certification.

the one thing that confuses me is that everyone i've talked to has commented on how easy A+ is.

ok, so let's say that is the case, are online resources/cram sheets, good enough to pass the exam? ummm.. is it enough to give me the proper working knowledge so that i know what i'm doing when i actually get a job?

and lastly, are old A+ books at the library useful enough to pass current A+ exams? i went to a library nearby and found that most of their A+ and Network+ books are, at best, 5 years old.

sorry for all the questions guys, but i know how important foundation is and i want to make sure i get this part right.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Questions are always good! :) I'll speak on behalf of the A+ questions.

I wouldn't say the A+, as an exam, is simply "easy" as easy is relative to the test taker's experience. "Passing" is also a relative term based on what you define as passing. Some people just "brain ****" and pass an exam (highly frowned upon) but they usually do not learn anything and when it comes time to be on the job with these skills the test taker is supposedly proficient in, employers are unforgiving when you have this cert and that cert, lets take A+ for example, and you can't replace a simple ATX power supply.

In terms of the A+, I wouldn't take the test for granted; make sure you know the objectives in and out; this is the same for all exams (double use of colons in one sentence = epic). Make sure you gain some lab experience just messing with an old computer (however minimal); it will definitely help you out if this is your first time messing with computers as a whole.

The only difference I saw between the 6xx series and this when first looking at the objectives is the inclusion of some Vista knowledge.