Options

Managing user attributes from the CLI

LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
I know that in the 640 exam, we need to be familiar with creating user accounts with csvde, ldifde, dsadd, PowerShell, and VBScript; no problem. But do we need to focus on managing accounts with those commands as well? The MS Self-Paced training book is going through it, but the other books I have seen do not. I just want to be able to focus my time the best that I can for the exam and learning this information.

Thanks,
Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
Currently Working On: Security+
2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can easily see MS thowing a command line at you.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most of what you need to know about those command lines is when to use them, be able to recognize if it's set up right ( may be the mult choice quest where the command lines will be choices of what to use) and you'll need to choose right answer.
    Are you studying for the 70-640, make sure to lab a lot.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Great, thanks for the responses. I am studying for the 640 exam. Currently I have a 2008 Server set up for my labs. This weekend I am going to set up VMWare Server and create 2 more servers for the labs coming up that require multiple servers. I am doing all of the labs in the MS Self-Paced book as well as the MS Official Curriculum book. I am a hands-on person, so I learn the best with labs and experience.

Are there any more labs I can use that y'all might suggest?

Thanks.

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find on most certs, you don't need to know the ins and outs of the command. Several books that I have read list the command, followed by a table 2 pages long of different switches and what they do. Not once have I memorized an entire list, and not once have I failed the test.

It ususally comes out like this. You have problem x, which command would you run?
    A. chkdsk.exe D: /f /r
    B. defrag c: -f
    C. ipconfig /registerdns
    D. tracert 192.168.0.1

Sometimes they will throw the same command in with different switches, but on tests I have taken it is fairly clear which one to pick, at worst case a 50-50 guess.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    You may want to do the suggested practices at the end of the chapters. They helped me. Don't forget the 70-640, when you schedule it, will be the 83-640 with simulators, not the dinky simulated questions on some of the other test but you'll be logged onto a VM server.
    If you have access to IT Academy through MS they use the same simulators as the test does, different tasks to do but you'd be used to the look and feel of the simulator.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I wish I had access to IT Academy, but I don't. I should have no problems with questions like the one Devilsbane showed. I'm curious to see what the simulations are like. I've heard mixed reviews, but I think I am going to like it better than the 50 question exam.

• Options
    Just make sure you lab it up. The simulator questions are no cake walk. Good Luck.