Options

Ok to study with CCP instead of SDM?

JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
I've been lurking on the forum and noticed quite a few SDM threads. Last month I went through the ICND1 and ICND2 courses. For the entire time we used CCP instead of SDM. Our instructor told us that Cisco no longer supported SDM and that we should study with CCP.

But now that I've been doing my own research I'm not seeing many people talking about CCP. I'm concerned there might be some difference between the 2 applications which might make the exam tricky.

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    What the heck is CCP? LOL!!!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What the heck is CCP? LOL!!!

The thing we should be studying since SDM is EOL'ed. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    so we won't see SDM on the CCNA Security exam?
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    Selfmade wrote: »
    so we won't see SDM on the CCNA Security exam?
    You'll still see SDM on the exam as long as it's in the blueprint.

Look at SDM and CCP as Coke and New Coke..... except with SDM being as popular as New Coke

• Options
    Holy cow no way! SDM is being phased out! wow!!

should I celebrate or is this the case of, becareful for what you wish for?

Is the CCP the lesser of two evils? LOL...

I'm gonna have to check this out......

Sorry guys, during my CCNA:S studies, I saw nothing on CCP.....which is why I am so shocked...

Will ASDM be phased out too?
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Holy cow no way! SDM is being phased out! wow!!

should I celebrate or is this the case of, becareful for what you wish for?

I'm gonna have to check this out......

Sorry guys, during my CCNA:S studies, I saw nothing on CCP.....which is why I am so shocked...

Will ASDM be phased out too?

what you just said about your studies is precisely why I asked my question!
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    Selfmade wrote: »
    what you just said about your studies is precisely why I asked my question!

Yes and SDM is definitley on the test, check the syllabus. As for CCP, it is nowhere to be found for CCNA:S.

If someone wants to point me to how I missed it, I'd be willing to take a look. But I find it hard that I studied for almost 7 weeks and never heard of CCP. LOL!!!

You're not off the hook with SDM!!!!
  • Options
    It's the "better working" of two evils -- if you have a supported router (or access to one).

If they ever do change the blueprint from testing on SDM to CCP, SDM would still be a study option for those without access to the supported routers.
  • Options

We were told that CCP is better than SDM but still not perfect. Our instructor reminded us that Cisco's expertise is not in software development. lol

During class I had a problem where CCP was not completely discovering the configuration of the 2800 series router that I was using. Other people in the class had no problem so I don't know if it was CCP or something related to my workstation or router.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow I been using CCP for awhile now along with SDM. I hate SDM it is and always will be crap. I am studing it now but let me tell you I am using CCP as well.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    kkndkakkndka Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The SDM can be used to peek at IOS commands before being sent for execution. Its a pretty useful learning tool.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    When in doubt, stick with the blueprint. I'm studying for CCNA Security as well and I'll stick with SDM since that's what it covers. CCP looks like it's only supported on ISRs, which sucks because they're not cheap and you can't emulate them, so when that change comes that will certainly shake things up.
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Wow, it looks way better than SDM. I can't wait :) Here's the list of supported routers.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_configuration_professional/v2_1/rlsnts/ccp_rel_notes.html#wp334293

Any idea when they plan on adding this to the exams?
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    fly351 wrote: »
    Wow, it looks way better than SDM. I can't wait :) Here's the list of supported routers.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_configuration_professional/v2_1/rlsnts/ccp_rel_notes.html#wp334293

Any idea when they plan on adding this to the exams?

I've been seeing posts on several forums indicating that there are changes coming to the CCNA exam. Perhaps removing SDM and replacing with CCP will be one of those changes.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JSK wrote: »
    I've been seeing posts on several forums indicating that there are changes coming to the CCNA exam. Perhaps removing SDM and replacing with CCP will be one of those changes.

I've seen a bit about potential changes to the CCNA here and there. But a lot of the speculation is that none of the exam topics are going to change, just the format (more sims, less multiple guess). Kind of in the same spirit of CCNP bringing in TSHOOT.