Options

Advise please.. taking a layer3 switch off

han.nethan.net Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there ,

We have a layer 3 switch connected to 2 other layer 3 switches , and we need to take that switch off for maintenance and I need to know who will be efffected from our client ,.
1- Is there any tool or a good way to aproach this rather than investigating every config ?
2-we vo got a QnQ links from that Switch , how can I veryfiy that all vlans are trunked through it , I dont know tha commands .

Regards

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Knowing who will be affected will depends on how well documented your network is. If you know that switch serves a certain physical location, you can assume that they are the ones being affected.

Since the other switches are layer 3, they should be able to operate within the network just fine. If they all have a redundant link to the core to get outside to the WAN, they would be fine too.

If you do not have a well documented network, you will need to look through the configs. I tried to find some applications to map out my network and none of them work very well. It needs to be done by hand to be any kind of accurate.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Agree with chmorin,

That's kind of a loaded question, we have no idea how your network is configured!!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    There are tools that help you map the network topology but you still need to do a lot of work yourself and at the end of the day, I wouldn't trust the raw output without checking the configs. You'll have to do it manually and just work out how everything is configured yourself.