Options

Totally bombed a phone interview

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
I hate phone interviews =/ They ask questions which I do know the answers to, I just can't get it out over the phone for some reason. I hate it. I sound like a total retard when doing a phone interview.

It sucks because after the interview you know you know the stuff but didn't say it. Sigh. Second one so far ive bombed. How do you practice for phone interviews?

Anyone else have any funny phone interview stories to make me feel better? lol

Comments

• Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a phone interview while I was in the street, walking to the train station, so i can go to work. They called me a half-hour later than they were supposed to, and i couldnt wait any longer. needless to say, i didnt get a call in for an in-person interview. might have been the best thing tho, cuz it was for a non-profit, and the pay was meh.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I love phone interviews because I don't have to wear a suit and tie.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    jtoast wrote: »

Same here. You also don't have to sit in a chair and be stared at by strangers while they grill you. At least over the phone you can pace nervously.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jtoast wrote: »

word up....half the time, when i get phone interviews, i was sleeping prior to them calling. so i like them because, i'm usually in my bed, and when i'm done with the phone interview, i can go back to sleep.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, my last interview was a phone interview and I believe that I did pretty good on it. Considering that they offered me the job and I didn't have to go in for a in person interview. Of course, if I lived closer they probably would have done that.

And I've bombed phone interviews in the past, but 9 tiems out of 10 they'd have me back in for a in person interview. Just remember to slow yourself down and relax during the call. If you need a moment to answer a question just ask them for it because they'd prefer you to take a moment to collect your thoughts instead of making a knee jerk reaction, just as you would in a job. Sometimes they'll toss out an oddball question that will throw you off your game and you need to collect your thoughts. Also, try to avoid using the "likes, so, ummmm's" when you speak to them. Since your first impression is just of your communication and voice you want to make sure you sound calm and well spoken.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Search Google for phone interview tips. There are a lot of sites with useful info.

For phone interviews, I do some of the same preparation as a regular info, such as researching the company, and practicing responses to common questions like "tell me about yourself". I'll print out a copy of my resume, and sometimes one or two pages of notes to help remind me of things to say. The more prepared you are, the more confident you will feel.

Also don't beat yourself up too much. I thought the last phone interview I had didn't go well, but I still got called in for an in-person interview and eventually a job offer.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    loxleynew wrote: »
    I hate phone interviews =/ They ask questions which I do know the answers to, I just can't get it out over the phone for some reason. I hate it. I sound like a total retard when doing a phone interview.

It sucks because after the interview you know you know the stuff but didn't say it. Sigh. Second one so far ive bombed. How do you practice for phone interviews?

Anyone else have any funny phone interview stories to make me feel better? lol

What questions are you having trouble with? Generic questions or technical problems?

During the phone interview, I like to write out the interviewer's generic questions and I'll review them afterwards. Next, I'll type a few bullet-point responses so that I'll be prepared for the next phone interview. Mind you, I favor the bullet-point responses instead of full sentences because I know the interviewer will be able to tell I'm reading from a script instead of speaking extemporaneously -- I don't want to sound too rehearsed and sound like a mindless drone.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    watson09watson09 Banned Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Once i gave a phone interview. The phone came as randomly so i was not able to determine who was on the other side..

I picked the phone and jsut as a flirty person i replied in rudy manner. Even at that point of time i was standing in a shop and there were many who gazzed at me when the interview was over.

Thus i felt uncomfortable when i gave the interview. So there is nothing much that you should feel bad about..
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    What kind of phone interviews do you get anyway?

There are two types: 1) Pre-screening phone interviews or 2) Scheduled phone interviews

Regarding 1) you can prepare for the generic HR questions which can be found online. Shouldn't be too hard. Pre-screnning phone interveiws should be simple because they don't go in depth and don't expect you to have superior answers. They only check if you can speak proper verbal communication skills.

Regarding 2) it is more challenging because they expect you to know how to answer the generic HR questions + specific technical questions.

I always get pre-screnning phone interviews and rarely any scheduled phone interviews. Pre-screening interviews they usually ask if you can speak for a few minutes. All you need to know is a bit about the company, abit about the position, why you applied, what interest you about the position, what you did in your previous jobs, and some achievements, salary expectations, do you drive, etc. Thats it.
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    word up....half the time, when i get phone interviews, i was sleeping prior to them calling. so i like them because, i'm usually in my bed, and when i'm done with the phone interview, i can go back to sleep.

I guess you're getting pre-screening phone interviews (by suprise).

Although I am still unemployed, from my experience, MOST HR recruiters call in the morning from 9:30AM to noon for some reason. I don't know what it is. However, I do get phone interviews in the afternoon sometimes but very very RARE.