Options

keyboard makes computer beep/sticky keys

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey

I've been having this problem ever since I had to reload windows. After so many keystrokes on the keyboard the speakers and computer will beep. Sometimes if I'm holding down the shift, ctrl, or alt keys. It'll function as if I'm holding down one of the other listed keys. For example, if I hold down the ctrl key, and try to click on an icon, it'll select every icon on the desktop. Also when I'm typing, it'll skip letters that I was typing or I will have to press the same letter twice in order to start typing. When I'm playing a game such as CODMW2 or HL2DM and I'm going in a direction, sometimes it'll beep and keep my character going in that direction.

Any clues on whats going on??
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It could be a dying keyboard. Do you have another one handy to try, or another PC you can plug that one into?
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't commit Harry Karry if your BLT goes AWOL!

i wonder if anyone remembers where that came from icon_wink.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    try start --> run --> cmd --> net stop beep

I noticed this on several computers. Particularly when playing games involving the left arrow key or spacebar. When you hold so many keys down, the computer beeps. I don't know what causes it, or if it is on every computer. You could have some keys that are sticking down which causes this problem.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like you're activating one of the accessibility features. Turning it off varies by Windows version. Google for your OS and disabling StickyKeys, FilterKeys, and ToggleKeys.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    alan2308 wrote: »
    It could be a dying keyboard. Do you have another one handy to try, or another PC you can plug that one into?

All good comments, but I have had this sort of thing happen too and it turns out to be the simplest, especially if the KB cord has been stretched or bent excessively (say behind near a wall or cabinet and bent up/down to reach the desktop).

If you have ruled out hot keys and all the settings at your control panel...change the KB out.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks everyone, I'll give it some tries. :S
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****