Options

So I'm thinking of taking a class

sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
In addition to studying the self-paced MS guide for 70-290, I'm thinking of taking this class at the community college:

Microsoft Windows 2003 Server
Knowledge and skills necessary to install, configure,
customize, optimize, network, integrate, and
troubleshoot Microsoft Windows 2003 Server.
Preparation for Microsoft certification examination.

What do you guys think? They also have a class that seems tailored to the infra exam:

Knowledge and skills to install, configure,
maintain, and support a Microsoft Windows
network infrastructure. Preparation for Microsoft
certification examination.

What do you guys think? (Before I sign up and waste 3 months :p )

Comments

• Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    How much would this cost? Seems like overkill to me for the 70-290 but I guess it really depends on how much experience you have using server 2003 and what you comfort level is with the objectives on the exam.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I took a class like that at my CC. I didn't really learn anything because I was forced to quickly learn the material. If you're self studying and want to review, then I think its all good. The best way for you to learn is the way you can actually learn the material.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    I took a class like that at my CC. I didn't really learn anything because I was forced to quickly learn the material. If you're self studying and want to review, then I think its all good. The best way for you to learn is the way you can actually learn the material.

I'm completely new to IT and am going to be taking a CCNA course pretty soon. :D
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I took a similar course that was employer sponsored and learned a lot from it. Some people just prefer the classroom environment and the ability to ask questions. I'm surprised they're not offering the 2008 coursework instead though...
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

I also had a college class. 3 credits comes out to about $400 or so. We even used the ms press book as our class book. The teacher was an idiot and didn't have a clue what he was talking about, and I lost nothing.

At the same school, I have had teachers that actually knew the material and also knew how to teach. And I did learn things from their class. But that doesn't make me ready for the test. The MS test is much more difficult than even the final for the class. The instruction might help you, but you are going to want to self study as well.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have had some great teachers and they've really laid the groundwork for certifications. I believe that no matter what you are going to have to set aside some time outside of the classroom to really get to the level of passing a certification. I attended the Cisco Networking Academy for obtaining my CCNA and it was a great experience. The convenience of a lab, a knowledgeable teacher, and good course material were well worth it to me. Just taking a class isn't the only thing you'll have to do to really get a cert, it will require some study time also.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    California public CCs currently cost $26/unit (so a typical class is $104 plus miscellaneous fees), and I think it's an amazing deal. At my local CC I did an AS in Computer Info Systems, and I took classes on Windows Server, Linux, Cisco networking and security, IDS, and other relevant topics. Besides excellent instructors, I had access to extensive lab hardware. The CIS track I did included a required "service learning" component where students did volunteer work for local organizations (school district, library, etc.)... several my classmates actually got jobs through the contacts gained from doing that.

I also had classmates who appeared to not get anything out of the courses. They never studied or do any reading, so they didn't understand the material and couldn't participate in the in-class labs. They got poor grades on exams and probably in the class. It really shows that you only get out of it what you put into it.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    I'm aware that the class won't be a complete road to success and whatnot, but seeing as I have no real IT experience and little knowledge, I think taking the classes will help me a great deal.

I guess personally I'd rather pay $200 for the class than $400 for a CBT Nuggets pack and be able to ask tons of questions.

My question is: Along with the class, what study material do you nice folks suggest? I know a lot of people who arent entering a class room use TestOut and CBT Nuggets, but I'm looking more towards using the MS Press book to study when I'm /not/ in class. I suppose if I have good instructors, they'll be able to tell me that one as well.
  • Options
    I think the MSPress book is great to study from. I also found the MCSE in a Nutshell to be very helpful when I was finishing up my studies. Setting up some VMs at home might be a good idea, if you get hands-on experience in class then try to do some of those tasks at home also.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I think the MSPress book is great to study from. I also found the MCSE in a Nutshell to be very helpful when I was finishing up my studies. Setting up some VMs at home might be a good idea, if you get hands-on experience in class then try to do some of those tasks at home also.

Would you say a class + some serious study from one or two books (maybe the MS Press and MS exam cram books?) would suffice for taking the exam?
  • Options
    I think that would suffice. Especially if you get stuck with a good teacher who knows what they are talking about. I would look into some practice test software also to gauge how ready you are before taking the exam.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I think that would suffice. Especially if you get stuck with a good teacher who knows what they are talking about. I would look into some practice test software also to gauge how ready you are before taking the exam.

Oh, I think it'll be a while. I'm more interested in getting my CCNA and probably will be dealing with the client-side test first (hopefully in Windows 7). I do know a couple of network admins. and an MCSE who are my friends, so hopefully they'll have pointers as well.