Options

Cisco Exam retake question

ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
I have a particular question about this that I can't seem to find the answer for.

Now, apparently there is some sort of long waiting period after having successfully passed a Cisco exam. What I'm wondering though, is does that include versions of the same exam in different languages?

Could I take the English exam, pass it and then retake it right away in Japanese in order to show I'm proficient with the material in both languages? Yeah, I'd have to work with people and explain things in the second language, but it would be much faster to study and easier to find resources in the first.

It seems like the Japanese versions probably aren't even as hard since on some of the sample questions I've seen, after eliminating 2 obviously wrong answers, you are left with something like: Which is the correct command? b) blah blah frame-relay or c) blah blah flame-leray
Current Study Track
EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Taken from here :-

Certification Exam Policies - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Retaking Exams
    * Once passed, a candidate must wait a minimum of 180 days before taking the same exam with an identical exam number.

That to me means no you can’t do the exam twice, once in each language.

To be honest I can’t understand the reasoning behind it. The exam shows you have mastered cisco technology, not languages. I would have thought there are easier ways to show you have mastered a language then taking a technical exam in more than one language.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    The exam shows you have mastered cisco technology, not languages. I would have thought there are easier ways to show you have mastered a language then taking a technical exam in more than one language.

The point is more to be able to communicate with groups working in the different languages on the same level.

It's not really a mastering the language in general type thing, but more mastering the jargon in that language. Even if you know the language it can be a hassle to deal with very technical things in a non-technical manner. Also, many euphemisms can be translated directly, yet only be understood by those with a background in the specific area.

I do some technical translation and often I times when I get a native Japanese speaker to proof-read my work, they'll say "the grammar is all correct, but I have no idea what you're talking about" simply because they aren't familiar with the subject material. When take it to the engineer, they'll say it's fine.

Anyway, I guess it's not that big of a deal, but nice to have and be able to point out.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Cisco do it to make it harder to snag all the exam questions.