Just ordered my CCNA Lab

TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
Would this be sufficient enough?

R1: Cisco 2520 Frame Relay Router with 4 Serial Ports
R2: 2620XM Router 128D/32F
R3: 2620XM Router 128D/32F
SW1: 2950 24 Fast Ethernet Ports
SW2: 2950 24 Fast Ethernet Ports

Plus the Cisco CCNA lab book from Cisco Kits!

I'm currently reading CCNA Sybex!
Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida

Comments

• Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    Would this be sufficient enough?

R1: Cisco 2520 Frame Relay Router with 4 Serial Ports
    R2: 2620XM Router 128D/32F
    R3: 2620XM Router 128D/32F
    SW1: 2950 24 Fast Ethernet Ports
    SW2: 2950 24 Fast Ethernet Ports

Plus the Cisco CCNA lab book from Cisco Kits!

I'm currently reading CCNA Sybex!

Yes, that will be sufficient for CCNA level studying, and it will also be a very good start towards a CCNP lab as well. Just be sure that you have at least one serial port (though two is preferred) on each of the 2620XM's and the necessary cables.

All you really HAVE to have is two routers and two switches though you will not be sorry you bought the 2520. It will be very useful as a frame relay switch (as you already know) and as a third router for other simulations.
  • Options
    The kit also includes:
    - 1 Console Cable
    - 2 Serial Cables Crossover Back-to-Back (DCE-DTE)
    - 2 Cat-5 Ethernet Straight Cables
    - 2 Cat-5 Ethernet Crossover Cables
    - 5 Power Cables
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • Options
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

I paid $599 for it, I could have gotten it cheaper thru ebay but I went through this company because of the warranty, I will be starting the CCNP route once I pass the CCNA in July, so in case some faulty happens with the equipment I can exchange it will preparing for the CCNP.
  • Options
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    I paid $599 for it, I could have gotten it cheaper thru ebay but I went through this company because of the warranty, I will be starting the CCNP route once I pass the CCNA in July, so in case some faulty happens with the equipment I can exchange it will preparing for the CCNP.

It may have been cheaper through ebay, but you have to be careful. A lot of times you think you're getting a deal, but then the router doesn't have enough flash and/or RAM to accommodate the IOS version you need (which becomes much more important when you move into the CCNP world) and they usually don't have WIC's that are actually of use to you (anybody need some ISDN cards? I've got a few. icon_mrgreen.gif). And once you buy the WICs and memory you need, you might not have gotten much of a bargain after all.

So all in all, I don't think what you paid was that bad considering everything you got plus a warranty that you won't get from some guy on ebay.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    It may have been cheaper through ebay, but you have to be careful. A lot of times you think you're getting a deal, but then the router doesn't have enough flash and/or RAM to accommodate the IOS version you need (which becomes much more important when you move into the CCNP world) and they usually don't have WIC's that are actually of use to you (anybody need some ISDN cards? I've got a few. icon_mrgreen.gif). And once you buy the WICs and memory you need, you might not have gotten much of a bargain after all.

So all in all, I don't think what you paid was that bad considering everything you got plus a warranty that you won't get from some guy on ebay.

Yeah, ordering these kits from vendors are great because you know what you are getting before you as well as the warranty. With an investment such as this, I was very hesitant going the ebay route.
  • Options
    Yea, I only go the ebay route because my OCD kicked in and I keep buying crap that I don't need. But I have yet to pay more than $25 for anything so even if I do get burned eventually, I'm still way ahead. :)
  • Options
    Dilbert65Dilbert65 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I buy all my equipment through Cisco Kits. If you have any problems send them an email they really are helpful. Bob have been a godsend when I first stated learning Cisco.