Options

VMWare server noob problems

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I just installed VMWare Server and can't seem to get it to work. Are there some settings I need to make somewhere to get it to work.
I get, from diagnostics "name" is not set up to establish a connection on port "###" on this computer
How do I set this up? (I used name and ### instaed of my own identifiers.)
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not sure about the error, but since VMware Server 2.0 is an EOL product, I'd look at VMware Player 3.0 or VirtualBox before you waste too much time with it.
  • Options
    That's where I'm probably headed. Something wrong with my workstation and the deal they (VMWare) have with WGU is one dl and no support pretty much. Somehow my workstation got corrupted (first all of my clones were messed up, then original builds were corrupted, then old VM's started messing up)
    I'm switching back to virtual box, their new version is better than when I last used it. I'm already using it now. I had been using it on the side for playing with Linux but hadn't touched it in weeks.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    earweed wrote: »
    Somehow my workstation got corrupted (first all of my clones were messed up, then original builds were corrupted, then old VM's started messing up)
    Bad HD or memory?
  • Options
    Every build or clone has been buggy, and I mean really buggy. Trying to lab with 2k8 VM and have to go in circles to get it to work. Early VM's I had built worked fine but even reverting to a snapshot made it buggy. So after doing labs I had to undo everything instead of reverting to a snapshot.
    I've checked my HD and RAM and they're fine. Virtual box is working great, don't know what went wrong with workstation.