DNS Issue - MS Press Book

mattymmattym Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
So im using the MS Press Book to study for my 70-291 exam

I am on page 5-15 where you start the install for AD

Where is runs the DNS Registration im getting the following
Diagnostic Failed

The registration diagnostic has been run x times.

Warning: Domain Controller functions like joining a domain, logging onto a domain, and Active Directory replication will not be available until the DNS infrastructure for Active Directory is correctly configured.

None of the DNS Servers used by this computer responded within the timeout interval

For more information, including steps on how to correct this problem, see Help

Details
The SOA query for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain1.local to find the DNS server returned:
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.
(error code 0x000005B4 "ERROR_TIMEOUT")

Current Ip settings are
Hostname ... computer1
Primary DNS Suffix ... domain1.local
Node Type ... unknown
IP Routing Enabled ... Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled ... No
DNS Suffix Search List ... domain1.local

DHCP Enabled ... No
IP Addres ... 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask ... 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway ...

I am going crazy trying to get this to work and it wont, and i cant go any further because the next practice asks me to find a SRV resource record and its not there because DNS doesnt get set up properly

Comments

• mattymmattym Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i decided that i would select the option where it would still install all the DNS stuff required.

Still doesnt work.

i have tried adding computer2 to domain1.local it could not find the domain.

but when i tried to add computer2 to "DOMAIN1" it could.

If anyone can help me out with this, that would be great.
  • mattymmattym Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so... after hours and hours of doing my head in (im sure it was about to pop off)

i looked into my system32/dns folder... and what did i find

NO netlogon.dns

AHHHH

so copied it in, and now it works... i think
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need to redo this install. The objective here is to know how to do this correctly. One thing I have learned the hard way is that when you have to fix an install this way it is likely to have issues in the future.

Troubleshooting an AD install is not something you want to do. In a production environment there is no grey area here. If something goes wrong, you reinstall. You do not want to be in a position that in 6 months something starts going wrong and you have 200 users in you AD.

Don't get me wrong, this is good experience. But getting it to work right the first time is even better.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Troubleshooting an AD install is not something you want to do. In a production environment there is no grey area here. If something goes wrong, you reinstall. You do not want to be in a position that in 6 months something starts going wrong and you have 200 users in you AD.

Don't get me wrong, this is good experience. But getting it to work right the first time is even better.

Agreed.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Agreed.

And just to be clear here I am talking about the initial installation of AD on a server. I know there are cases when a unit is in prduction and begin to have issues. But you should not troubleshoot a new installation to put it in production (even when production means your lab).

Labing should mirror real life as much as possible.
  • Norrlands TurkNorrlands Turk Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am having trouble with 70-291 practices as well.

I think my issue is with my lab setup but I am still not sure. I have two Server 2003 OSs installed on Virtual PC on my laptop, and what I want to do is to connect one of the systems to internet by installing Microsoft Loopback Adapter to my host laptop. I follow all the steps in this article but it doesn't seem to be working.

When I turn both systems' Network adapters to "Local only" there is no problem (other than not having any internet connection). Both systems can ping eachother.

But when I switch the first system's adapter to "Microsoft Loopback adapter" first system can't ping anything.

Article:
    Networking in Virtual PC and Virtual Server

I am missing something but I don't know what it is..
    WIP (Q2 - 2012):
    Undecided
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you remember to enable ICS in the host system?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mattym wrote: »
    i decided that i would select the option where it would still install all the DNS stuff required.

Still doesnt work.

i have tried adding computer2 to domain1.local it could not find the domain.

but when i tried to add computer2 to "DOMAIN1" it could.

If anyone can help me out with this, that would be great.
    I had that same problem when I got to 5-15.
    Tore my hair out for hours.

What I did was use Manage Your Server to remove the DNS role.
    Then installed AD and allowed it to then install DNS.
    Worked perfectly.

You will need to adjust 2 settings afterwards in order to have it configured the way the book wants. I think one was something to do with secure updates. You'll come across it in the book. Easy to do.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project