Equipment needed

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello!

I am currently studying the CCNA course with their books and I recently bought the CBT nuggets videos. It's all helping a lot... but, I have seen some people selling routers and switches on ebay and other places. Obviously having the equipment helps a lot, but I am worried that I'll get a router or a switch that is out-dated and won't work for what I need to study on.

I'd like to get equipment that'll help me study for CCNA and CCNP. Can anyone else me out on some information?

Thanks!
Jamie
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    you can try:

ciscokits.com
    newegg.com

I want to buy from cisco kits but I don't have the money. They seem to have very good deals on their gear along with good warranties.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Look at the FAQ. There are tons of posts in this particular forum on exactly what you are asking. Members have been giving out good info on this for years.

Also look at a very good discussion on Odum's blog here
    CCNA Lab Main Post Summary | NetworkWorld.com Community

Be Warned ! Buying equipment for home labbing can be very addictive to the extent I was kinda gutted my wife wouldn't let me have a 42 rack they were throwing away at work. She refused to believe my argument that she didn't need a wardrobe and could hang her clothes on the picture rail icon_sad.gif

SIM labbers should make comments and post links now so you can look at a different way of doing it.
    Kam.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm selling the rest of my CCNA lab.

This is what I have left:

2x Cisco 2621
    1x Cisco 2650XM
    1x Cisco 2650
    2x Cisco 2950-12
    1x Cisco 2950-24
    1x Cisco 3620 with NM-2FE2W
    1x Cisco NM-4T
    3x Cisco WIC-1T
    3x DB60/DB60 DCE/DTE Cables
    2x Smart Serial/DB60 DCE/DTE Cables

Buying Cisco lab is equipment is indeed very addicting. icon_cool.gif
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    SIM labbers should make comments and post links now so you can look at a different way of doing it.

I used a SIM for ICND1 and it served it's purpose well, could probably get me through ICND2 as well. Having said that, after scoring some 2600 series routers through work for free, I'm definately in the "real gear" camp now.

I don't have any decent switches, so I still use Packet Tracer for switching labs. My wife won't let me draw the money out of our kid's savings to buy switches. icon_wink.gif
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    cablesandkits.com Best place for used stuff comes w/ warranty and fairly priced.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    cablesandkits.com Best place for used stuff comes w/ warranty and fairly priced.

And don't forget how great their shipping is. Free shipping on every order over $25 and it'll be at your door in 2 business days.

And no, I'm not a paid spokesman. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Yep, and a mini pack of m&m.
    Also, good customer service, at least for my experience.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold