Options

Datacenter basics

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone have any good quick guides for Datacenter basics? I know of this book Amazon.com: Data Center Fundamentals (0619472050231): Mauricio Arregoces… which is sitting on my desk at work. I also know there use to be a "Datacenter fundamentals" course by APC which I have been meaning to check out. I saw a few books on Amazon but I wanted to check and see if anyone here knew of anything better/cheaper.

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Datacentre Basics:-

1. Do not bring a bottle of water into the server cab rooms and leave it ontop of a block of servers and network equipment :D

2. Do not give the security guard a reason for being there as "I am here to burn the building down with this can of petrol I have in my bag. Do you have a match?"

3. Do not go into the back of a datacentre loading bay with heavy equipment only to be told you cannot leave the equipment there and you need to go around to the front for a pass and key. On a hot summers day.....

4. Do not leave your toolkit balancing near the bottom of a server cab only to watch it spill into the hole where the patch cables feed up from. You are not getting those floor tiles up to retrieve it.

5. This is for anyone in the UK London who has to visit the Sunguard Centre near the telehouse docklands. Do not feel embarrased about talking to a metal pole when asking if you can come in from outside.

6. Do not make funny movie reinactments in transparent turnstyle doors to impress your colleague when there are people watching you from behind.

Sorry knwminus, no intention to hijack your thread BUT....

ITTTSSSS FRIIIIIIIDAY.

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I faild the "Datacenter fundamentals" course by APC beta exam in October 2006 :D

It had the basic stuff, power, cooling, disaster recovery etc.

Nice things to know if you work in a data-centers.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would add:

"Avoid the data center at all costs, because once you go in everything tends to break and you will never leave"
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    A big one is don't forget to take a coat with you even if its really hot outside :)

As for knwminus' actual topic, not really. It is such a wide topic that I've not looked for anything which condenses it down into a single book. Just handling the power requirements of a decently sized datacenter could warrant a few books itself and you know how many books there are on SP/ent level networking.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would add:

1) Find the location of the bit bucket on the first day, and ensure that you understand the proper procedures for emptying it.

MS
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    tiersten wrote: »
    A big one is don't forget to take a coat with you even if its really hot outside :).

I always get strange looks when I go into any. I'm nearly always in shirt sleeves and spend many an hour in there. My colleagues moan like buggery how cold it is and I barely notice (The cold!), I think it's one of my favourite places to work icon_smile.gif

Being a Geordie helps I guess, my mrs says we're injected with anti-freeze and given an extra liver when we're born lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    My colleagues moan like buggery how cold it is and I barely noticeI think it's one of my favourite places to work icon_smile.gifl

Just so I'm clear. You barely notice the buggery, or you barely notice how cold it is?

:)

MS
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    I would add:

1) Find the location of the bit bucket on the first day, and ensure that you understand the proper procedures for emptying it.

MS

You mean the one you have to hold the ethernet cable over to let the Virii pour out? Yup, mucho importante :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    eMeS wrote: »
    Just so I'm clear. You barely notice the buggery, or you barely notice how cold it is?

LOL yeah I dont feel the cold, the buggery I'd notice a LOT!! eeek lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS has a funny story about that in the data center...
  • Options
    eMeS has a funny story about that in the data center...

Yeah, that was straight *** from what I remember.

Unless you're speaking about one of my many annual performance reviews from years past....

MS
  • Options

As Dynamik will tell you, it only hurts for a second, or so he says....

Prediction: <22 (edit) mins before a Dynamik's mom post is made in this thread....

MS
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    7. Tip dynamik's mum on the way out....ohh wait wrong centre.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The datacenter exam by APC looks great! i registered but cannot go full force on it yet until the end of the year when i complete my CCDA / DP first. The information in those study courses are priceless! Plus that certification will look great in the resume no matter how popular the exam is or isnt, a Datacenter or APC certification will earn you points regardless , perhaps more points than one would think. One of my goals for 2011 icon_smile.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    The datacenter exam by APC looks great! i registered but cannot go full force on it yet until the end of the year when i complete my CCDA / DP first. The information in those study courses are priceless! Plus that certification will look great in the resume no matter how popular the exam is or isnt, a Datacenter or APC certification will earn you points regardless , perhaps more points than one would think. One of my goals for 2011 icon_smile.gif

Interesting idea, I always thought that this exam is unknown, so I did not bother to study for it, but it might be useful if my CV reach the IT Department.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    The datacenter exam by APC looks great! i registered but cannot go full force on it yet until the end of the year when i complete my CCDA / DP first

I have thought about taking that test but I know I am going to start going through that material. A person I know who builds/designs DCs told me that the cert isn't well known. Keep that in mind.
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    You mean the one you have to hold the ethernet cable over to let the Virii pour out? Yup, mucho importante :)

Yep, the place in every data center where all of the left over bits go from shift operations...

These things fill up, and you MUST empty them regularly.

MS