Options

Are you filipino?

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just curious if there are any pinoy geeks out there like me. Well, tisoy actually. Mabuhay!

Comments

• Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm half. AKA Hybrid :)
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Just curious if there are any pinoy geeks out there like me. Well, tisoy actually. Mabuhay!

Not me, but my co-worker is. I've tried to get him on here during one of the several attempts I've endured to try and motivate him to advance his skills and gain some certs - but he seems to be ok with having worked helpdesk for 10 years.

He visits back home once or twice a year and always shares the pictures, I certainly wouldn't mind visiting there someday. I also enjoy cursing him out in Tagalog if that counts for anything :D
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Have any of you ever tried balut?
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    apena7 wrote: »
    Have any of you ever tried balut?

I grew up on that delicacy :)
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I grew up on that delicacy :)

No way! I always wanted to try it, but I always wuss out at the last minute. Heck, regular hard-boiled eggs aren't even appealing to me icon_biggrin.gif.

I guess the most hardcore thing I've eaten would either be stinky tofu or duck-blood soup (and surprisingly, both were really good).
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My first wife was filipina.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In Catholic school, most of my math and science teachers were Filipino/Filipina. They are the only Asians who pronounce my last name with a long a instead of the normal short a (which is really how I know they're Filipino).

There are a number of Filipinos I work with in the metro-NYC area. Good, hard-working people, regardless of profession for the most part. Manny Pacquio is now a politician...but I think Mayweather would beat him down anyday...even my Filipinos friends say so. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello.all..I am filipino.

do you think companies discriminate filipinos for trying to apply for an IT position? I'm just curious.

Erpadim: I see that you have A+ and network+...did you get a job right away when you passed those tests? I have just graduated with my BA in technical management, but I have no IT job experience. Somehow i have to get an entry level job like a Help desk..and I'm wondering If I should take A+ and MCDST or Network+
  • Options
    keeranbri wrote: »
    do you think companies discriminate filipinos for trying to apply for an IT position? I'm just

Um, no. In fact, I know quite a few pinoys working in IT.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not filipino, and I do not know any filipinos, but I must say the new lead singer of Journey is awesome and he's a filipino. :D
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am a Filipino.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    arwes wrote: »
    I'm not filipino, and I do not know any filipinos, but I must say the new lead singer of Journey is awesome and he's a filipino. :D

Thats nothing. Death Angel is an entirely Filipino band. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Thats nothing. Death Angel is an entirely Filipino band. icon_mrgreen.gif

This is most awesome. Glad to see pinoy's doing something other than breakdancing and import racing.
  • Options
    This is most awesome. Glad to see pinoy's doing something other than breakdancing and import racing.

Don't forget about Pinoys cheering for Pacman! c",)

And oh yeah, voting for an impeached President to be President again! To make matters worse, the guy was actually second!!! Seriously?
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anyone got a good old family recipe for Filipino style short ribs? I've mastered the Sichuan Chinese and Thai varieties but really enjoy Filipine cuisine (you see what I did there?)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bayang magiliw...

akoy pilipino (mestizo)
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This thread made me think of "Will the real Filipino please stand up" LOL

I'm not, but my asawa is.

• Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Anyone got a good old family recipe for Filipino style short ribs? I've mastered the Sichuan Chinese and Thai varieties but really enjoy Filipine cuisine (you see what I did there?)

lolz @ Filipine.

And short ribs isn't a common dish in the PI. Lookup pancit or chicken adobo. They are both wintastical. See what I did there?
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I lol'ed at the title of this thread.

I ?'ed at your reply :)
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lolz @ Filipine.

And short ribs isn't a common dish in the PI. Lookup pancit or chicken adobo. They are both wintastical. See what I did there?

Yeah that whole "F for some cases and PH for others" is awful for someone that blows at spelling to begin with.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chicken adobo is good. I love liempo, & sisig too. Buko pandan is an awesome desert.
  • Options
    Champorado!!! Mmmmm. Growing up, this used to be a breakfast staple when I would go camping with my grandparents.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

• Options
    Champorado!!! Mmmmm. Growing up, this used to be a breakfast staple when I would go camping with my grandparents.

Haven't had one of those for more than 10 years!
  • Options
    zerglings wrote: »
    Haven't had one of those for more than 10 years!

Almost 20 years for me! My sis and I grew up on chomporado almost everyday while living there. Going to have to pick some up this weekend :)
  • Options
    Almost 20 years for me! My sis and I grew up on chomporado almost everyday while living there. Going to have to pick some up this weekend :)

It may have been more than 15 years for me!

Nice! Have fun with your champorado! I'd like to get halo-halo this weekend. I haven't had it for a long time as well! Heck, I like to grab some leche flan too!
  • Options
    I grew up around my mom's side (Filipino), and I especially remember my daily visits to my Grandparent's house. Stepping foot in there was basically teleporting to the Philippines. Every single Filipino stereotype was there. The kids had to 'mano' their elders. The house smelled like tuyo (or just fish and rice in general). 10 different tsinelas were outside of every door. Balikbayan Boxes in the garage. Tabo in the bathroom. Plastic runners all over the carpets. The wooden spoons and forks on the wall. Pictures of the Last Supper. My mom and my aunts watching Filipino movies where everyone is always yelling and beating their kids. My Grandma making sure I had my 'baon' before I left for school. My Grandpa scaling and gutting fish in the sink. Trips to Goldilocks for pastries. Man, I miss my family.... lol.

• Options
    I grew up around my mom's side (Filipino), and I especially remember my daily visits to my Grandparent's house. Stepping foot in there was basically teleporting to the Philippines. Every single Filipino stereotype was there. The kids had to 'mano' their elders. The house smelled like tuyo (or just fish and rice in general). 10 different tsinelas were outside of every door. Balikbayan Boxes in the garage. Tabo in the bathroom. Plastic runners all over the carpets. The wooden spoons and forks on the wall. Pictures of the Last Supper. My mom and my aunts watching Filipino movies where everyone is always yelling and beating their kids. My Grandma making sure I had my 'baon' before I left for school. My Grandpa scaling and gutting fish in the sink. Trips to Goldilocks for pastries. Man, I miss my family.... lol.

You totally just described my entire childhood!

I was surprised to find a Goldilocks about 20 mins from my house.