Options

It's terrible when you realize you horde too much gear.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
I brought sadness upon myself just a few moments ago. I had to force myself to confess I have far too much gear and I need to get rid of some of it. Since my divorce we've been trying to sell the house and fortunately have an accepted offer and we close on the 7th of June. That gives me a short amount of time to do what I should have already been doing, packing and downsizing since I have an awful lot of stuff and transitioning from a good sized house to a small two bedroom apartment will necessitate less furniture and so forth.

Well I was cleaning out the unfinished portion of my basement where I have a couple freezers that I have help coming by tomorrow to haul them up to my garage so I can sell them. The room is also my lab room, service area for side jobs, and the room the collects all that stuff I "might use someday". I suppose the nice thing is I probably really don't need all the gear I have sitting in there and can sell some of it, but I'm going to miss having it there even if I only used it now and again :D

I never realized how much I had since it was easy to overlook. So if anybody is in the market for Cisco gear which I seem to have a lot of - keep your eyes out on the for sale thread. Found a whole slew of PIX's of all varieties (501's, 506's, 506e's, 515's, 520's, single 525, and a single 535) and some ASA's (5505's, single 5510). I have a neglected stack of about 100 assorted routers which I'll probably end up recycling a bunch since I would guess half are 2500 series but there's a bunch of 2600's, 2600xm's, few 2811's, 3640's, heavy beastly 3660's, and couple 1800 series. Lots of switches, haven't looked too close but some 2950's, 3550's with and without poe, a single 3560-8PC and single 3560-24ps-e, some old catos switches like a 4506, 4503's, 2948g's i have no idea why i kept, etc. Probably a thousand pounds of rackmount servers from some old S360 Celeron/PIII's to quad xeon rigs, old barracuda gear, a dozen or so assorted workstations, just a ton of stuff.

I suppose when the ex was nagging me for having too much crap downstairs that she may have kind of had a point? I'm kicking myself now - I should have gone through this sooner. Now I'll get to move it all and cramp up my limited space in my apartment and sort through it all to see whats going to the recyclers and what will net me a few bucks and how much it's worth. Kind of a good thing in a bad way I suppose.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Sorry to hear about the divorce.

All I can say about the rest of your post is wow! You certain do have a whole lot of gear! Were you trying to be the next Scott Morris? :)

Unfortunately I'm not in the US so will have to refrain from making my own collection any larger icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    tiersten wrote: »
    Were you trying to be the next Scott Morris? :)

^^ My goal.
    icon_cool.gif
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wow that is a load of stuff. Were you planning to build your own NOC down there?

I can relate to that hoarding of things though. We all do the same. I probably should shift my Juniper netscreens that I am no longer going to use but I always have this thought in the back of my head to keep them! I do also have a few cisco routers to get rid of and a rather large switch.

Best of luck!

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    You certain do have a whole lot of gear! Were you trying to be the next Scott Morris? :)

LOL, I had to look him up to figure out the joke...

http://smorris.uber-geek.net/
  • Options
    Very little of my equipment was actually bought. I have rescued some from the recyclers from my own place of employment and I have a handful of people I know who are independent consultants that have little desire for having any of the gear some of their clients were going to dispose of who also had no desire to spend the time to inventory things and list it on ebay so they let me know and I take it and keep what I want and recycle the rest, I just have to take it all even if there is fairly worthless stuff. But yea, I suppose a Scott Morris type lab would be ideal :D Half the reason I have so much is to be able to do a lot of various scenarios on real hardware, I much prefer to just jump on some gear and use it right away and this reason goes a long way in supporting my "hang onto it just in case" excuse. I know I can get a lot done with something like dynamips, but never really sat down to use it since I often had the real deal available. I'll end up keeping some of the gear but just enough to keep in my 42u cabinet. Probably try to fill in some Juniper gear since a recent acquisition of a bunch of SRX's has piqued my interest in the Juniper line and my lowly SRX100B at home needs a companion :)

Got a few PM's, may be a couple days for me to get back to you guys. I shouldn't really even be posting now nor last night but I had to take a bit of a break from packing stuff up. The ex has been on vacation since last Friday so I have my son through till Wednesday which is great but it's incredibly difficult to get much packing done with an almost 3 year old around. Back to maximizing my time while he is still down for a nap :D
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    You know you've played too much world of warcraft when...

you spell hoard as horde.

:Dicon_lol.gif:Dicon_lol.gificon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    You know you've played too much world of warcraft when...

you spell hoard as horde.

:Dicon_lol.gif:Dicon_lol.gificon_thumright.gif

LOL, and too true. I feel ashamed, though I haven't played in a good 3-4 months :D
  • Options
    Pash wrote: »
    I probably should shift my Juniper netscreens that I am no longer going to use but I always have this thought in the back of my head to keep them

My boss is the same way... we have a couple Netscreen 5GT-101s in the store room that he wont' let me sell. We're never going to use them... we've got a nice Sonicwall on our network, we have some ASA 5505s and a couple Fortigates. Why the would we choose a Netscreen 5GT over those? Oh well. It will at least make a nice introduction to the Juniper way of networking for me.

I would certainly love to see your inventory list, OP, when you get moved. Seems a little dismal to be grabbing at your stuff in such a way, but hey, you posted and the community needs hardware. ;)
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Ugh!

I was just in Pardeeville, WI this past week with my gf visiting her parents. I would have gladly stopped by and taken some of them off your hands.

....for the record, it's not much of a pardee in pardeeville.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Brings back memories of when I first moved in with swmbo, she regularly tells people that when I moved in all I brought with me was a computer grave yard and a load of snakes icon_smile.gif

Since then I've sadly no longer got the snakes and the graveyard has been decommissioned I actually passed a lot of that gear onto friends and family. I'm now building a NOC lol

Ps Pash if you fancy offloading the juniper give me a shout GRIN
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    forkvoid wrote: »
    Originally Posted by tiersten viewpost.gif
    Were you trying to be the next Scott Morris? icon_smile.gif

^^ My goal.
    icon_cool.gif

See, mine is when Scott's goal is to be the next me :D.....That may take a long long time, and of course he might be senile by that time, but hey.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    See, mine is when Scott's goal is to be the next me :D.....That may take a long long time, and of course he might be senile by that time, but hey.

Only one CCIE? Got a ways to go, buddy. ;)

Also, it seems that listing your CCIE number is about like listing your phone number. :)
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To an extent (number as an identifier). I keep my online footprint surprisingly small for someone in this business. Yes you can find some basic details about me but not that much. The number can link to my name, can easily be verified against my Linkedin ID etc. From there you can find my 2 other websites, and mention that I have a relatively untouched Facebook account (can't stand even the notion of 'Social Networking', or broad/multicasting, sticking with the metaphor it's Unicast or bust for people you actually want to keep in touch with).

I added it as we've had a few cases of 'success' stories from low count users that turned out to be scams. If someone really wants to verify mine they can, which is not exactly important except for the blog thingy I wrote in the CCIE section, after slogging through it I figured readers had a right to validate I wasn't just making it all up if they wanted to :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?