Options

CCNA-V or SWITCH first?

IPDirectIPDirect Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking to get both my CCNA-V and my CCNP.

Is there any benefit to having done the CCNP SWITCH exam before I do my CCNA-V? Is there much overlap? Which would you do first?

Comments

• Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not having done the CCNP SWITCH exam, I wouldn't think there would be much overlap at all. The only topics that would be relevant would be on access and voice vlans, and maybe a little on trunking (CCNA is ok at this level).

So I don't think there would be any advantage in doing SWITCH first. CCNA-V is, for the most part, a fully self contained subject.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are reletive few overlaps, but the old BCMSN exam had a little bit of telephony configuration in it. If the switch is anything like that, it could get your feet in the water.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IPDirect wrote: »
    I'm looking to get both my CCNA-V and my CCNP.

Is there any benefit to having done the CCNP SWITCH exam before I do my CCNA-V? Is there much overlap? Which would you do first?

It depends on what your end-state goals are. Do you plan on working in the voice field, networking field (in general) or what? Initially my answer would be to do the voice first because it is only one exam. Like I said... it all depends on what you want.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    IPDirectIPDirect Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends on what your end-state goals are. Do you plan on working in the voice field, networking field (in general) or what? Initially my answer would be to do the voice first because it is only one exam. Like I said... it all depends on what you want.

-Peanut

I didn't know if there was a lot of QOS, PoE, etc questions on the CCNA-V so I thought maybe doing the SWITCH exam would make a difference. Doesn't seem like there is.

As for my future plans, I'll be getting a CCIE in R&S, CCNP, and CCVP....ultimately I plan to start a network consulting firm, as starting and growing businesses is my forte.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure of the amount of QoS and PoE... But I suspect them to both be on the exam. The QoS has an entire track CCVP QoS. So I'd expect more in depth QoS questions from there. If you plan on doing consulting... I would suggest you start with the associate level exams and work your way up through the Professional tracks. That way you don't miss out on any of those good ole fundamentals of Cisco. icon_thumright.gif

HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker