Home class vs business class

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Can someone please explain the difference between the two?
The speed and the price of home type of internet connection is seem to be faster than the business type, but I am sure the business class is better; I just don't why.

Also, a cable question. I know the answer is pretty obvious, but I would like to know your answer.
Lets say you have a home class connection with the speed of 15Mbps/7Mbps, and the cable you are using is fastethernet with a full duplex home router like Linksys.
Fastethernet is more than enough to support that speed, right? Since the cable supports up to 100Mbps, it should not be a problem.

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Business = better SLA or a SLA at all.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    Can someone please explain the difference between the two?
    The speed and the price of home type of internet connection is seem to be faster than the business type, but I am sure the business class is better; I just don't why.

Also, a cable question. I know the answer is pretty obvious, but I would like to know your answer.
    Lets say you have a home class connection with the speed of 15Mbps/7Mbps, and the cable you are using is fastethernet with a full duplex home router like Linksys.
    Fastethernet is more than enough to support that speed, right? Since the cable supports up to 100Mbps, it should not be a problem.

Thanks

As tiersten already said, you buy a business plan over a home plan for the SLA. If your service goes down for a significant amount of time with a home plan, their answer is it sucks to be you. With a business plan, they have some explaining to do.

For your second question, theoretically yes. But you have to remember, just because the router has a FastEthernet port doesn't always mean that it can route packets at FastEtherent speed. As you can see on a chart like this, the amount of traffic a router can move varies.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fast ethernet is more than fast enough.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    SLAs, contention ratio, QoS (business traffic in many cases will be prioritized over home traffic), usually static IPs are given out to begin with, a lot of the time they also tend to be symmetric, and it also doesn't say things in the terms and conditions like not allowing business level web serving and other services, or at least not supporting them.

Basically, anything a business would want over a home connection is available. Plus, a lot of the time if you buy enough of the circuits, you have your own account manager who deals with your problems direct at the carrier, rather than just hoping for the best with the first agent you talk to.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Alright, thanks
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold