Options

Forest/Domain Functional levels and group scopes

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
This is my downfall of the test. Memorizing some things. Is there an easy way to remember how different functional levels work and also the restrictions of groups? (universal, global, and local).

Thanks
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    For the functional levels, this table helped me.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't have any easy answer, basically learn it the best you can.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    For the functional levels, this table helped me.

That is a nice collection of information. I'm going to print if off and study it. Thanks

earweed wrote: »
    I don't have any easy answer, basically learn it the best you can.

If you don't have an answer, then why did you post?
  • Options
    When raising the DFL, what is the order? Does it go 2000 mixed, 2000 native, 2003 interim, 2003?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    When raising the DFL, what is the order? Does it go 2000 mixed, 2000 native, 2003 interim, 2003?

From what I have in my notes, yes, that is the order.

I also have in my notes that in order to raise the forest level to the latest, the domain functional level must be at the latest.
    To activate the newest domain features, all the domain controllers must be running the newest Windows Server operating system version in the domain. If this requirement is met, the administrator can raise the domain functional level.
    To activate the newest forest-wide features, all the domain controllers in the forest must be running the Windows Server operating system version that corresponds to the desired forest functional level. Additionally, the current domain functional level must already be at the newest level. If these requirements are met, the administrator can raise the forest functional level.

How to raise Active Directory domain and forest functional levels
  • Options
    Yes, in order to go to the FFL of 2003 all of your domains need to be the 2003 DFL. Not sure how that works entierly, since there are 4 FDL's and only 3 FFL's.