Options

My very first C

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
Just took the CCNA today and passed with a 898 :D

I started studying seriously about 2 months back and used the following for study mats.

CCNA study guide : Todd Lammle
TestOut CCNA package
Train Signal CCNA vids
GNS3

I found the exam more difficult then a JNCIA exam for a few reasons. There seemed to be more material covered in the CCNA exam then your typical JNCIA exam, not always a bad thing though, just more to learn. I hated not having the ability to go back and review the questions once I got through them, this really made me feel more stressed about each question. The questions seemed to be worded in a more 'tricky' fashion too, but I expected this so I really slowed down and read each question to make sure I understood what was needed. So I'd say more difficult then the typical JNCIA but not as hard as the typical JNCIS.

I really enjoyed the simlet questions where config/troubleshooting was involved. It really broke up the test and made it more enjoyable. That's something I hope Juniper employs in their exams someday.

Now it's time for me to take that break I've been promising the wify about and them jump back on the study wagon, not to long though, promised her 2 weeks ;). There's another JNCIE on the horizon that I'm setting my sites on :D

All this Cisco studying does make me make me wonder one thing, when is Mike going to pick up a Juniper cert ;)
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done! Congrats icon_cheers.gif.
    Chris Bryant is the man haha.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Congrats on the pass...

What is your reasoning for doing the CCNA in the first place? It looks like you are a Juniper guy...

Do you have plans for more Cisco certs?

It's good to hear your thoughts of the CCNA compared to Juniper exams....I enjoy the sims too, and I think there should be more sims than multiple choice questions...
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!!! How do you compare the CCNA test to the Juniper equivalent (Associate level) exam? Are the similar in difficulty?
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    CONGRATS!!! How do you compare the CCNA test to the Juniper equivalent (Associate level) exam? Are the similar in difficulty?

Read the part comparing the CCNA to the JNCIA :)
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats Aldur on the pass! And it even snowed for you as a gift - wtf is with the weather in that place. Crazy. ;)

Umm no offence peanutnoggin, but did you even read his post? You know this part...
    Aldur wrote: »
    I found the exam more difficult then a JNCIA exam for a few reasons. There seemed to be more material covered in the CCNA exam then your typical JNCIA exam, not always a bad thing though, just more to learn. I hated not having the ability to go back and review the questions once I got through them, this really made me feel more stressed about each question. The questions seemed to be worded in a more 'tricky' fashion too, but I expected this so I really slowed down and read each question to make sure I understood what was needed. So I'd say more difficult then the typical JNCIA but not as hard as the typical JNCIS.

I really enjoyed the simlet questions where config/troubleshooting was involved. It really broke up the test and made it more enjoyable. That's something I hope Juniper employees in their exams someday.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    Congrats Aldur on the pass! And it even snowed for you as a gift - wtf is with the weather in that place. Crazy. ;)

Umm no offence peanutnoggin, but did you even read his post? You know this part...

icon_lol.gif
    HAHAHA... my apologies... I completely overlooked this post in its entirety. I think I just read the passing part and began to type!!! icon_lol.gif Sorry about that!!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    when is Mike going to pick up a Juniper cert
    I'm waiting for Juniper to adopt the Cisco re-certification model -- and a couple of IEs of the double C variety. :D But my cats have been dragging in Juniper hardware so I'll have a nice Lab when that day arrives.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    TrainSignalEricTrainSignalEric Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats man!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    We knew you would be assimulated eventually :)

Grats on crossing over to the good side :)
    Kam.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!

One question , you make it seem like the Cisco exams are much harder than the Juniper ones. Is the Juniper exams really that easy? no simulation questions just multiple choice?icon_confused.gif:
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Thanks for all the congrats guys :D
    What is your reasoning for doing the CCNA in the first place? It looks like you are a Juniper guy...

Do you have plans for more Cisco certs?

From my experience we live and work in a multi-vendor world and making those different equipment work together is a challange. So I figure the more I learn about both Juniper and Cisco equipment the better off I'll be in the long run.

Yup, plan on going all the way to the CCIE but first I'll tackle the JNCIE-SEC that is coming out towards the end of the year. I figure with 3x JNCIE and a CCIE I'll be able to go pretty much anywhere and ask for just about anything ;)
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for Juniper to adopt the Cisco re-certification model -- and a couple of IEs of the double C variety. :D But my cats have been dragging in Juniper hardware so I'll have a nice Lab when that day arrives.

Yea, the Juniper recert model is a bit aggressive but I find myself not being bothered by it to much. For example I have to recert my JNCIE-M/T before October and if the Juniper cert model was like the Cisco cert model I would have had that taken care of by the many other Juniper certs I've got along the way. But then again I'm starting to feel a little rusty on some of the topics of the JNCIE-M/T so it's worth it to me to recert on that track just from a refresh standpoint.
    chrisone wrote: »
    One question , you make it seem like the Cisco exams are much harder than the Juniper ones. Is the Juniper exams really that easy? no simulation questions just multiple choice?icon_confused.gif:

Definitely the CCNA level is more difficult then the the typical JNCIA exam level for reasons that I sited above. I wouldn't call the JNCIA exams 'easy', the JNCIA-M/T contains topics such as MPLS, Multicast, ISIS, multi-area OSPF, and BGP. I believe that those topics for most CCNA's would be scary ;) But from my standpoint the CCNA did seem harder but that could be because of my service provider focus in my career thus far.

And yup, all JNCIA exams are multiple choice, no sims. All though I wish they had sims in them, I really enjoyed that part of the CCNA.
    astorrs wrote: »

Holy hell man, tell me about it! We got dumped on with tons of heavy wet snow, and now today it's all gone... I'll never get use to these crazy Canada weathers icon_exclaim.gif

-Bender
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats Aldur!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    It's nice to hear from someone who has done both, as I'm playing a bit with Junipers (albeit Olives), and would love to get into a service provider world, so knowing how they compare to my current experience is great.

How much Cisco experience do you have out of interest? I just wonder if you are pretty much entrenched in Juniper, or if you have worked in Cisco-land before, and now are revisting it a bit?
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    ZZOmegaZZOmega Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the CCNA!!

My question to you, since I will be taking the exam this Thursday, how far in depth did you study IPv6? I know the rules behind disclosing test information, my question is strictly about your preparation/study model. ;D
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    How much Cisco experience do you have out of interest? I just wonder if you are pretty much entrenched in Juniper, or if you have worked in Cisco-land before, and now are revisting it a bit?

I'd have to say that my Cisco experience is fairly limited. I've been working with them a little bit as of lately but I worked at JTAC before this job which was of course nothing but Juniper equipment :)

Before I studied and took the CCNA one of my co-workers was helping me out with any Cisco configuration that has been needed in any testing so I got a little bit of experience there but not much. So I would classify my Cisco understanding as next to nothing before I started studying for the CCNA.
    ZZOmega wrote: »
    My question to you, since I will be taking the exam this Thursday, how far in depth did you study IPv6? I know the rules behind disclosing test information, my question is strictly about your preparation/study model. ;D

IPv6 was thankfully something that I'm well versed in coming from a Juniper background. Juniper's M/T (service provider) track goes pretty heavy into IPv6 so I didn't focus on it to much during my CCNA studies. I basically read through what Todd Lammle had to say about it, took a few notes, went though the blip they had on it with Train Signal, and the little bit they had on it with TestOut.

-Bender
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    With your background and knowledge I'm sure you will be a multiple CCIE in no time... Congrats!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Congratulations Aldur... I would have to say going from Juniper --> Cisco is a much harder route...The IOS doesn't make sense.. :)
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nice one bud.

Gonna stop there or go on further?
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats Aldur. While you are on that break ask the family to watch for signs of multiple personality disorder. If you were a dog person and you suddenly start liking cats more, you might want to get a checkup. Oops my cat is staring at me strangely.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
    Congrats Aldur!!!! :)