Options

Cisco router Audit

sndp_2002sndp_2002 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to do an audit on the routers in my company, clean up configs that are in active, check for security hole, add or remove configs that would assist in making the router more efficent and work better.

I did some research and came across a tool nipper but i cannot find the installation anywhere to download. Have anyone used this before?
Do you have any tips or advice on what I should concentrate on to get the best out of this exercise. I am not very experienced just a newbie

Comments

• Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    Dude I'm certainly not a seasoned veteran, but before I would go around and change configs on your PRODUCTION (and most importantly WORKING) router I'd be certain of what I was doing. I'm not sure of what you mean by an Inactive config. Make sure you have a backup of the current configs too. How many routers are we talking about, and what would you do if it all hit the fan.

Also, just a quick look of nipper software on sourceforge doesn't look too good to me. Mostly thumbs down.

Your lucky enough to get to actually mess with the routers at your company which I envy, but as a newb myself, I would definitely warn you as above.
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Geetar28 wrote: »
    Dude I'm certainly not a seasoned veteran, but before I would go around and change configs on your PRODUCTION (and most importantly WORKING) router I'd be certain of what I was doing. I'm not sure of what you mean by an Inactive config. Make sure you have a backup of the current configs too. How many routers are we talking about, and what would you do if it all hit the fan.

Also, just a quick look of nipper software on sourceforge doesn't look too good to me. Mostly thumbs down.

Your lucky enough to get to actually mess with the routers at your company which I envy, but as a newb myself, I would definitely warn you as above.

+1

If you are only auditing make sure this product has read only capacity
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hacking exposed has a Title called hacking cisco networks exposed that covers alot of cisco security vulnerabilities and countermeasures.

A good audit tool for you is Nessus, the home version is free and what you would be using would cost, but you could use the home version to evaluate it.

With this tool you can create a scan profile that only performs cisco related scans and you should most likely test it on a non-production system while your creating your scanning profile.