Options

Taking CCENT tomorrow!

locust76locust76 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
After actually working as a network admin in a Cisco environment for a year and studying relevant portions of CCNA material, as well as reading CCENT-specific materials, I'm as confident that I'm "ready as I'll ever be" to take my first step towards Cisco certification!

I've gotten pretty good at subnetting; I can do most problems from subnettingquestions.com in under a minute, some I can do under 30 seconds and even a few I can just eyeball and figure out sub-10-seconds.

I'm confident that I know a good amount of how to deal with Cisco IOS, how to configure switches and routers, as well as file management/IOS upgrades. I'm pretty solid on how packets move around between networks and how frames are forwarded in the local LAN. However, I still get caught up sometimes on these "practice exams," which sometimes contain CCNA-level material and are absolutely full of trick questions.

From what I've heard, the actual Cisco exam requires you to know the material and don't require you to figure out what tricks they're going to play on you with the wording. Can anyone confirm/deny this thought?

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck...

The exam is pretty much straight forward. There are some confusing things on the test though.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Good luck!!
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the same boat; I got it on thursday! Good luck homie!
  • Options
    Good luck...

The exam is pretty much straight forward. There are some confusing things on the test though.

That's good to hear... I can deal with some confusion, but an endless string of trick questions is rather bogus. Good luck Rogue2shadow!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif

While Cisco doesn't go out of their way to develop "trick questions," it is possible that if you don't read the question carefully you might misinterpret what they're asking -- so always read the question, ALL the answers, then read the question AGAIN.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif

While Cisco doesn't go out of their way to develop "trick questions," it is possible that if you don't read the question carefully you might misinterpret what they're asking -- so always read the question, ALL the answers, then read the question AGAIN.

You notice how most every time someone complains about trick questions its someone who failed the exam? Granted, my only experience is with the questions on the Academy quizzes and exams, but every question that I missed was because I didn't know it or I misread it. You either know it or you don't.
  • Options
    I passed! ;) Got a score of 950! My weak spots were basically routing and WAN, which makes sense because I don't really deal with routing or WANs at work, so I didn't really get much practical experience.

Anyways, there are tricky questions, but not trick questions like some of the practice exams I've seen. James was right, the test was pretty straightforward. If you know your stuff, you'll pass the exam.

Just don't read part of the question and assume you know the answer already. Read everything!
  • Options
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    locust76 wrote: »
    Just don't read part of the question and assume you know the answer already. Read everything!

Totally agree. That is how Cisco gets yah!

Congrats!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! YES! (preemptive excitement)

Congrats! icon_cheers.gif

I'm going to aim for that score or higher hahaha.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    locust76 wrote: »
    I passed! ;) Got a score of 950! My weak spots were basically routing and WAN, which makes sense because I don't really deal with routing or WANs at work, so I didn't really get much practical experience.

Anyways, there are tricky questions, but not trick questions like some of the practice exams I've seen. James was right, the test was pretty straightforward. If you know your stuff, you'll pass the exam.

CONGRATS!!! Great score!!! Good luck on your future icon_study.gificon_study.gif!!!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker