Options

Hyper terminal for windows7

AndrewA1981AndrewA1981 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

So I'm studying for my ccent exam and I just got a few routers and switches to start working on a lab at home, I can't get a connection to my switches or routers with my win7 64bit laptop.

I'm using a free hyperterminal program called HyperTerminal Private Edition v7.0 by Hilgraeve and usb to rs232 adapter to connect to my console cable.

I used the same adapter and a netbook running windows xp and was able to connect to each of my routers/switches with no problems with built in windows xp hyper terminal, so it's making me think it could be the program I'm using

Does anyone know of a good free hyper terminal program for windows 7 64? I made sure the drivers for my rs232 adaprter were 64 bit on my laptop as well

anyways, thanks for any help

also sorry if someone has asked this before, I looked through the threads and didn't see one mentioning it but it's always possible I missed it

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I am using that same version "HyperTerminal Private Edition v7.0" on two of my Win7 with no problem.

One Win7 with 64bit, the other as 32bit. I also have a USB to rs232 chord that I use as well....

I would try using that edition on your XP and see if you can connect with it...
  • Options
    ChronusMaximusChronusMaximus Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At my work we upgraded to Windows 7 and I have been using PuTTY which works well over serial but you would have to try it with a usb-serial converter but it should work since it should see it with the USB drivers. It also does Telnet & SSH sessions so its one program to do all three which I have found to be handy. Hope it helps.

Download PuTTY - a free SSH and telnet client for Windows
    WIP: CCNA
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I just copied "hypertrm.exe" and "hypertrm.dll" from my XP Pro machine and used it. That is, until I rececived SecureCRT. I love it, wouldn't ever go back.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At my work we upgraded to Windows 7 and I have been using PuTTY which works well over serial but you would have to try it with a usb-serial converter but it should work since it should see it with the USB drivers. It also does Telnet & SSH sessions so its one program to do all three which I have found to be handy. Hope it helps.

Download PuTTY - a free SSH and telnet client for Windows

I love Putty since it is cross platform and does so much, but one thing it doesn't do is xmodem. For that, take a look at Tera Term, which is an open source continuation of the now defunct TeraTerm Pro.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    "Hyper Terminal" is actually the name of that particular software package you're using. The generic name for what you're looking for is a terminal emulator.

SecureCRT or CRT will do everything you want but it costs money.
    PuTTY or TeraTerm if you want free.
  • Options
    AndrewA1981AndrewA1981 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the responses, got it working!

I grabbed PuTTY and also I want to try coping over the files from xp for hyper terminal, my issue was with my adapter though, I uninstalled the drivers rebooted, reinstalled and it worked ok, even with the original program I was using

thanks again
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    I love Putty since it is cross platform and does so much, but one thing it doesn't do is xmodem. For that, take a look at Tera Term, which is an open source continuation of the now defunct TeraTerm Pro.

I use putty on my Win7 computer at work and home. I suggest it.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    teraterm is all ive ever used its free and works good. Also does ssh.

here is the link Download Tera Term 4.66 :: Freeware | Download
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »

$80 for a terminal client? icon_eek.gif

It better configure the router for me for that price.
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    PuTTy is what I use also, it's very easy to use, and is pretty intuitive while yet giving you options too, more than Hyperterminal does.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Maybe this will help, but I have found that sometimes those USB to Serial adaptors set the strangest COM ports. Double check what COM port you set your Hyperterm to.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    alan2308 wrote: »
    $80 for a terminal client? icon_eek.gif

It better configure the router for me for that price.

Work paid for it. And it works just fine without paying.
  • Options
    Work paid for it. And it works just fine without paying.

It says its only a 30 day trial on the site.
  • Options
    It just gives you a popup when you launch it, nothing major. It doesn't disable it or anything. /shrug to each his own. I have putty on my windows XP VM and I like it just fine. I just like ZOC.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It just gives you a popup when you launch it, nothing major. It doesn't disable it or anything. /shrug to each his own. I have putty on my windows XP VM and I like it just fine. I just like ZOC.

On your mac... what's wrong with good old terminal? That's what I use, nothing fancy, I can ssh, telnet, whatever... I also have Zterm if I need to console in, but I'm usually going in remotely so its no big deal... As you said above though... to each his own.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    On your mac... what's wrong with good old terminal? That's what I use, nothing fancy, I can ssh, telnet, whatever... I also have Zterm if I need to console in, but I'm usually going in remotely so its no big deal... As you said above though... to each his own.

-Peanut

I use ZOC on my Mac too....how did you know I have a Mac? lol

Anyway, I like tabbed windows for when I have several routers open. I SSH from ZOC into my Linux machine to start/stop/reconfig my Dynamips setup. Then I have tabs for all the routers I'm working with. Terminal is cool and all but I like the tabs.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use ZOC on my Mac too....how did you know I have a Mac? lol

Anyway, I like tabbed windows for when I have several routers open. I SSH from ZOC into my Linux machine to start/stop/reconfig my Dynamips setup. Then I have tabs for all the routers I'm working with. Terminal is cool and all but I like the tabs.

You can do tabs in terminal as well... that's how I use mine. I'll open 5 tabs, then each tab, I'll ssh to my access server and from there I'll connect to my router/switch/pix/etc... the only downfall is I can only ssh 5 times due to the limitation of the router (line vty 0 4). icon_lol.gif I used ZOC before, but I found it wasn't too much different from Terminal... with the exception of cost (but that was a while ago)! icon_wink.gif

No worries man...

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Well this is my first Mac and I'll be damned if you can't tab in Terminal. LOL learn something new everyday. Feel like such a newbie.

sorry for the derail