Options

Vmware workstation

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Is Vmware workstation worth picking up or for most purposes is virtualbox ok? I am considering picking up a copy with my student discount. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Is Vmware workstation worth picking up or for most purposes is virtualbox ok? I am considering picking up a copy with my student discount. Any thoughts?
    VirtualBox is pretty comparable to Workstation nowadays. Give VirtualBox a shot and if something isn't working well, try Workstation to see if it's better.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    VirtualBox is pretty comparable to Workstation nowadays. Give VirtualBox a shot and if something isn't working well, try Workstation to see if it's better.
    +1 I've had my problems with workstation. Mostly because their deal with WGU to give us workstation doesn't include customer service apparently. My workstation got corrupted somehow and all my builds/clones/revert to snapshots were all messed up I went back to Virtual Box.
    The newest version has a little better networking capabilities. It also seems from what I've heard from Linux users that VirtualBox is the preferred for most Linux uses. It's all I've used so far with the little bit of Linux studying I've done so far.

On a side note I'm also giving Virtual PC another shot as it is just easier to set up to go along with the MS studies I'm doing right now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't bothered with VirtualBox but I have been using VMWare Workstation for about 2 years and I love it. Check with your school first, you may be able to get a free 1 year license for it. I had to ask around alot because none of my professors knew we had access to it but it turned out we did. Worth looking into atleast.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I <3 Workstation.

I use it extensively at home and work. I probably spend more time in it than in my host OS.

VirtualBox or VMware Player will get you started if you're tight on money. The additional functionality is definitely worth it if you make use of it though.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I personally own Workstation and use it at home, however at work I currently use VirtualBox. Both work well for my needs. The main problem I have with Workstation is that I use Linux hosts, and there have been issues with getting it to work. I have yet to have any problem getting VirtualBox to run on a Linux host.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have much experience with virtualbox, but I am pretty fond of workstation. Price isn't too bad considering how much use I get out of it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.