Big monitor interference problem.

matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
Hi guys. :)

I put a water cooling system in my computer just over a month ago. I absolutely love it! Major overclocking and it never breaks 40C under full load.

The one problem I do have though is my pump is a magnet drive pump which I put *inside* the case. My tower sits on my desk about 2 ft from my monitor. The side of the monitor closest to the computer has a flicker effect do it.... like you'd see on a really low refresrate. I keep my computer on 24/7 and I just turned it off and back on....... it's alot worse now.

It seems like the side closest to the pump isn't as bright as the rest and flickers eve more. I'm guessing eventually this will lead to permanent damage to the CRT. icon_sad.gif Do I need to worry about anything else in the system?

Does anyone have any tips for possibly shielding the monitor to eliminate this problem? I guess as a last option I could try moving the case under the desk, but I'd hate to do that since it's a $100+ case. Kinda nice to show it off.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Nice. I also have a water system, which like yours, runs ultra cool. Although mine is not magnet pump based. I would say that yes, it will eventually lead to permanent damage to the CRT. Also, I don't think you want strong magnets near your hard drive. I would try to shield the pump if possible, or move the pump away from the system by extending the hoses. If you do extend the hoses, just make sure the length doesn't exceed the pump output.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    I agree about the hard drive note. You really need to convert to a nonmagnetic pump if possible. If the magnet is strong enought at 2 feet to affect your monitor, it could wreak havoc on your hard drives.
  • matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Thanks for the tips guys. Actually the more I look at this thing the less I think it's the magnet. It seems almost like a frequency the pump is running at (say 60Hz). Is that possible? The magnet is pretty small and isn't very powerful.

Another weird thing it does is my wireless NIC...... with the antenna screwed on I can't keep a connection. With it off I can get full strenght (router on the same desk). Weird eh?

Definatly interference, but I haven't figured out what kind.

And to think I thought putting it in would be the hardest part.. :)
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You sure that you do not have a transformer block near the monitor. Did one come with your pump?? The magnetic fields may affect your monitor over the long hall "IF" it interferes with the fly-back circuit causing excess heat. Otherwise you will only suffer a need to eventually get a commercial degaussing coil to get you picture back in shape if the internal one can not handle it. crash.gif You could use it as an excuse to switch to a flat screen. icon_santa.gif

Concerning your disk drive being affected that probably falls in the urban legend category. One of the strongest magnets likely to be near your computer is inside the drive itself. The voice coil head actuator contains a powerful permanent magnet similar to the one used in a stereo speaker to react with the head positioning coil hence the term voice coil. The metal case of the disk drive forms an effective hysteresis shield from outside forces. People tend to forget that magnets are in every motor and fan in your PC. Now that floppies (and tape outside of servers) are mostly dead (which were affected by magnets); other than CRT's magnets are becoming the thing of myths and legends. Someone a long time ago told you they were bad so it gets passed on again and again.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO