Options

What do I need to know about 802.11n for CCNA?

IPDirectIPDirect Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm taking the CCNA in a few days and all the exam material I have talks about 802.11n from it's predraft 2007 perspective.

What do I need to know about 802.11n that would be relevant on the test today? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    IPDirect wrote: »
    I'm taking the CCNA in a few days and all the exam material I have talks about 802.11n from it's predraft 2007 perspective.

What do I need to know about 802.11n that would be relevant on the test today? Thanks

You need to know all about 802.11, not just N, you should understand the different types, A, B, G etc etc.....
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    from the exam objectives the wlan concepts look pretty basic. i'd imagine if you've setup a linksys wireless router before you probably understand the concepts they're looking for.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    IPDirectIPDirect Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need to know all about 802.11, not just N, you should understand the different types, A, B, G etc etc.....

I know about the other types, just confused about N.

For example my Odom CCNA prep book from 2007 says that Wireless N runs in the 5GHz frequency, yet we know today that it runs in both 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies. So I'm curious what the other "updates" that i'd need to know for the CCNA.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    from the exam objectives the wlan concepts look pretty basic. i'd imagine if you've setup a linksys wireless router before you probably understand the concepts they're looking for.

You're probably a lot closer than you might imagine with that guess. icon_mrgreen.gif

In the Academy, the only hands on we had was with a couple Linksys wireless routers. Even in Packet Tracer, the only wireless gear is a Linksys router and a generic AP with no real configuration options. Out of the entire 4 semesters, wireless was one single chapter.

And for the OP, everything in the Academy still talked about Draft-N, but based on what's actually on the CCNA blueprint, I don't think anything we're worried about here changed when N was finalized.