canadian public services exams

slikmanslikman Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
for IT support jobs.
what kind of questions to expect in the exam?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I didn't know there would be an exam....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to TE!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • slikmanslikman Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't know there would be an exam....
    once we pass the first screening, there will be a computer exam...it's confirmed
    earweed wrote: »
    Welcome to TE!
    thank you:D
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    slikman wrote: »
    once we pass the first screening, there will be a computer exam...it's confirmed

I suspect it's mostly aboot computers.

MS
    eMeS wrote: »
    I suspect it's mostly aboot computers.

MS
    c'mon guys
    looking for serious input!!!!
    c'mon guys
    looking for serious input!!!!

Apologies. Seriously, you definitely should know how to mountie a filesystem.

MS
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    eMeS wrote: »
    Apologies. Seriously, you definitely should know how to mountie a filesystem.

MS

eMeS: the most helpful, sarcastic jerk around.

I jest, of course.

He's not all that helpful either. :p
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    eMeS, stop being a hoser and take off, eh!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    for IT support jobs.
    what kind of questions to expect in the exam?

What type of study aids are available for your Public Service exams? Have you checked with your local bookstore or library?

Certainly, the Canadian agency responsible for the exams provide a some sort of guideline for the exams, don't they?

In the US, if you wanted to 'work' for the Post Office, there are typically books in the reference section of stores and libraries to assist people with their studies. I would think Canada would provide/sell a similar tool.

Regarding an IT portion of an exam??? I don't know. Didn't consider that could be a public service job, so I learned something new today icon_cheers.gif

When you found the job posting, what requirements are listed for the job? I would expect a basic position would cover similar objectives to the A+ exam. I would recommend you check with the agency offering the exam and see if they recommend study materials.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    steve13ad wrote: »
    eMeS, stop being a hoser and take off, eh!

It tuque you long enough....
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Quick search:

Practice Test

Haven't read all the details, but looks like Mulitple Guess, Essay and simulations are options:
    PSC Tests By Method

Again, I would think you can find all this locally at whichever office provides the exams and such.

Why not go Private sector IT rather then Civil servant?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Quick search:

Practice Test

Haven't read all the details, but looks like Mulitple Guess, Essay and simulations are options:
    PSC Tests By Method

Again, I would think you can find all this locally at whichever office provides the exams and such.

here is what job advertizing says:
    provide technical support to user on site or by phone.solve users issues related to software,hardware and database.
    also it is mentionned that they use windows XP,Vista, MS office 2003 and 2007, Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange 2007,blackeberry Entreprise Server, and remote tools like SMS,SCCM, Active directory group policy.
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Quick search:

Practice Test

PSC Tests By Method

I just finnished 1 year attestation in Microsoft servers 2003,and i don't have lot's of experience.
    Private sector is pratically impossible to land a job with 0 experience.
    while in the public sector, you can get away with it, plus they offer you the training .
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I just finnished 1 year attestation in Microsoft servers 2003,and i don't have lot's of experience.
    Private sector is pratically impossible to land a job with 0 experience.
    while in the public sector, you can get away with it, plus they offer you the training .

Except there is a massive hiring freeze on the public sector in Canada. So, the pool you are likely to enter will end up expiring before you see anything. Nevertheless, the exam is a general computer exam - TCP/IP, Microsoft, etc.. The exams are delivered, marked, and developed independently of each government department - this means there is no standard and no way to find a practice test that will cover all the grounds. I would recommend reviewing whichever qualifications they are asking for. Remember, they are also looking for experience.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."