Options

CBT Recommendations

docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
I did a quick (lazy) search and didn't find recent answers... Can you guys share some of your experiences regarding the various CBTs out there for the CISSP? SANS offers an OnDemand option, Logical Security has one (of course), and then there's CBT Nuggets. There are probably others like PrepLogic but I haven't researched into them yet.

I took a CISSP prep course a couple of years ago and I still have the class material(s) for it. I also have the older official (ISC)² CBK and Shon Harris' AIO fourth edition. The problem I'm facing is that reading the material is a rather dull experience and I'm thinking I'd rather plop down some cash for something more multimedia. I've dove into cccure.org a bit, but I'd like something more professionally-done.

It's not like I'm totally new to the various domains in the CBK, but approaching the CISSP is a difference experience from my previous, more technically-oriented certification exams.
Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/

Comments

• Options
    cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    docrice wrote: »
    I did a quick (lazy) search and didn't find recent answers... Can you guys share some of your experiences regarding the various CBTs out there for the CISSP? SANS offers an OnDemand option, Logical Security has one (of course), and then there's CBT Nuggets. There are probably others like PrepLogic but I haven't researched into them yet.

I took a CISSP prep course a couple of years ago and I still have the class material(s) for it. I also have the older official (ISC)² CBK and Shon Harris' AIO fourth edition. The problem I'm facing is that reading the material is a rather dull experience and I'm thinking I'd rather plop down some cash for something more multimedia. I've dove into cccure.org a bit, but I'd like something more professionally-done.

It's not like I'm totally new to the various domains in the CBK, but approaching the CISSP is a difference experience from my previous, more technically-oriented certification exams.

Shon Harris CBT (expensive) is a great supplement to reading, about 34 hours.
    The CISSP Video Mentor was great to help me understand Cryptography a lot better, really breaks it down and gets into the basic of the Network Security Domain. The price is worth it.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Options
    I'm leaning more towards the Logical Security video seminar right now, although if money were no object (which is not the case) the SANS course would definitely be a contender since I checked out the OnDemand demo.

A Logical Security salesperson linked me to a demo for the video seminar. Is the whole video course basically just a talking head of Shon Harris (and David Miller?) with only occasional diagrams? I'm used to seeing both people and slides to reinforce the material.

I'm a little iffy about the CBT Nuggets offering based on the small video clip of the instructor on their site. These things are subjective, of course, so this is nothing against the instructor's competency. The K-Alliance CISSP video demo seems cool and I liked the instructor's teaching style along with the video screen behind him. Has anyone tried them? I couldn't find a video for CBT Planet.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    I highly recommend the Shon Harris CBTs.
  • Options
    Well, I went ahead and ordered the Shon Harris CISSP Video Seminar DVD. I'm going to spend a few weekends running through the material, some domains several times over so it sets in.
  • Options
    showstoppermdshowstoppermd Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would avoid the cbtnugget as the video series is dated. If you have a .mil address you could sign into vte.cert.org. Its free training from Software Engineering Institute which is pretty decent stuff.
  • Options
    hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    I would avoid the cbtnugget as the video series is dated. If you have a .mil address you could sign into vte.cert.org. Its free training from Software Engineering Institute which is pretty decent stuff.

Check. I've been on the VTE site for over a year learning CISSP and McAfee HBSS over and over. It's free and it's good stuff. I'm going to take my exam in October, sometime after I leave Afghanistan. I highly recommend VTE.