Options

Switches and ACL's

stevi3stevi3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

Just a quick question! Ive been asked to set up a switch and add computers into seperate VLANS, the only problem is that they all connect to a central file server. Is there a way to do inter VLAN routing without actually having the router there, maybe through ACL's (trying to use Packet Tracer 5.2 to do this, but i can create an ACL on the router, but i cant apply it to an interface because the command doesnt appear)

Thanks

Steven

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In order to do interVlan routing... you're going to have to have a layer 3 device (router) or a layer 3 Switch.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    In order to do interVlan routing... you're going to have to have a layer 3 device (router) or a layer 3 Switch.

Yea, I gathered that much, sorry I probably worded it wrong. Is it possible to have VLANS connect to the central server (will be on its own vlan too), but not each other.
  • Options
    Okay... I see what you're saying...
    Clients = Vlan 10
    Server = Vlan 20
    ?

If that is the case... you'll still need a layer 3 device. I believe you can do private vlans using ACLs or something to that affect... which may give you what you are looking for... but I could be totally off basis. Someone with more experience may be able to weigh-in on that... HTH

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Please refer to your CCNA study material.

Layer 3 switch to route, then ACL's to lock down.
  • Options
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    Please refer to your CCNA study material.

Layer 3 switch to route, then ACL's to lock down.

Ummm.... actually I was referring the OP to something like this:
    Private VLANs and VACLs which is beyond the CCNA level. I personally hadn't configured this before and was therefore unaware if it would accomplish what he was trying to do. This is why I stated... "Someone with more experience may be able to weigh-in on that"

Thanks!

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Private VLANs and VACLs are CCNP level knowledge. Private VLANs will accomplish what you are looking for.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    Thanks alot for the replies. I know the easier solution would be like you said InterVLAN routing and then use ACL to lock down traffic and still let people connect to file share. I was just asked to look at doing this, but without a Layer 3 switch/router being involved.

Thanks again! :)
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Private VLANs and VACLs are CCNP level knowledge. Private VLANs will accomplish what you are looking for.

He IS alive :)