Options

Laptop screen

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I have a toshiba laptop with damaged screen, I also have a sony viao with damaged mobo

So it would be awesome if i could put the screen from the vaio onto the toshiba

Now firstly i dont care about making it function like a laptop lid all I would want is to get it to work and maybe fashion something out of wood to hold the screen at an angle from the laptop, anyhoo...

there is 1 big fat cable prob containing many cables inside going to a silver plug that goes into the mobo, if i cut the plug off and attach to the corresponding cable from the sony vaio screen ie. red to red blue to blue, you catch my drift

would this work??

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Lee H wrote: »
    would this work??
    Depends on the panel interface on each laptop.
    Depends on whether the Toshiba graphics chip can handle that panel resolution.
    Depends on whether the Toshiba graphics BIOS will accept that panel.
    Depends on whether the Toshiba CCFL inverter will handle the Sony panel.

As you're not even sure of how many wires are connecting the panel to the motherboard, I'd say no. The wires are generally unmarked and don't show their function.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hi

I have a toshiba laptop with damaged screen, I also have a sony viao with damaged mobo

Now firstly i dont care about making it function like a laptop lid all I would want is to get it to work and maybe fashion something out of wood to hold the screen at an angle from the laptop, anyhoo...

there is 1 big fat cable prob containing many cables inside going to a silver plug that goes into the mobo, if i cut the plug off and attach to the corresponding cable from the sony vaio screen ie. red to red blue to blue, you catch my drift

would this work??

It depends.

You'll want to do a bit of homework and then you'll likely determine that 'no' it won't, but if you are interested in the learning opportunity...

Carefully disassemble and search out an exact replacement part for each. You may find that you can at this stage (again, you probably cannot).

Learn as much as you can about the original configuration and hardware, know the specifications of the components (this is definately where you'll rule out if they can be swapped...again, probably not).

If after this point, you want to try it to see what happens...know that there may be a 'no-going-back-point' at this time...then have fun and learn. Record what you learn. Continue to research and see if you can gain some great knowledge.

Then after all these hours invested (and the little fun you do receive) you'll see why it costs what it costs to replace an LCD on a notebook, and why many times it is less costly to upgrade the whole laptop :)

Nevertheless....I would opt for the 'fun' route myself (if I had the time).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How good of a laptop is the Toshiba? Unless you're just set on experimenting with it or it's not that great anyway then you could pick up a cheap monitor and turn it into a desktop.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    earweed wrote: »
    How good of a laptop is the Toshiba? Unless you're just set on experimenting with it or it's not that great anyway then you could pick up a cheap monitor and turn it into a desktop.

See....that takes ALL the fun out of this ;)

Make a clarkconnect box! icon_thumright.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Make a clarkconnect box! icon_thumright.gif

Excellent :D
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi

would this work??

I would be interested to see how you get on with this!

Keep us posted on whether you are successful or the problems you ran into.

Sorry I cannot offer any advice on this, I would just be playing around with it (Trial and error) nothing concrete.
  • Options
    Sorry to be the wet blanket here, taking all the fun out. Now I've gotta google clarkconnect boxicon_wink.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This project is relevant to my interests. I too am interested in the outcome.
    :study:
  • Options
    I'd like to see if it works too. I've replace a few laptop screens myself, but always ordering a new one matching the old one. I recommended using the monitor since I did that with my daughters laptop after she broke her second screen.
    That clarconnect box looks interesting.
  • Options
    Sony Vaio PCG-7M1M, dead mobo
    Toshiba SPL10 PSL15E, dead screen

Sony is quite a few years old so finding a mobo for it needle in a haystack type thing

Toshiba will connect to a TFT monitor but only in safe mode can i see it, the Toshiba doesnt have Fn-F5 drivers installed so I cannot switch to this display when I turn it on

gonna have an attempt at it tonight, am not very hopeful as the wires for each of them may not be colour coded and there may even be different amounts, lol

wish me luck
  • Options
    Sony Vaio PCG-7M1M, dead mobo
    Toshiba SPL10 PSL15E, dead screen
    You need to look up the model numbers on the actual LCD panels and not the model number of the whole laptop.
    Sony is quite a few years old so finding a mobo for it needle in a haystack type thing
    Not worth it to find a new or replacement motherboard since it will be expensive and you'll still end up with an old laptop.
    Toshiba will connect to a TFT monitor but only in safe mode can i see it, the Toshiba doesnt have Fn-F5 drivers installed so I cannot switch to this display when I turn it on
    You check the BIOS to see if there is any options for which display is preferred? Uninstalling the display driver from safe mode may be enough to make it fallback to the BIOS routines that handle the display switching.
    gonna have an attempt at it tonight, am not very hopeful as the wires for each of them may not be colour coded and there may even be different amounts, lol
    You're going to have to look up each of the LCD panels and find out how they're wired along with their specifications. Just blindly connecting them together by following the colouring of the wires assuming they are even coloured in the manner you're thinking of is a recipe for near certain disaster. If they differ in the number of wires then no chance.

Be aware that there is a chance that you'll completely fry the motherboard in the Toshiba. Also there will be high voltages present from the CCFL inverter so take precautions about getting an electric shock.
  • Options
    I have found out that the connection for the screen on the mobo is exactly the same so no chopping wires, lol

BUT.......

I cant get my toshiba to power on its dead as a dodo? i managed to get the sony screen plugged into the toshiba mobo and swithed on......nothing......was working only few night ago

grrrrrrrr
  • Options
    I have found out that the connection for the screen on the mobo is exactly the same so no chopping wires, lol
    Did you actually look it up or you just going by the fact the connector is the same shape and size?
    I cant get my toshiba to power on its dead as a dodo? i managed to get the sony screen plugged into the toshiba mobo and swithed on......nothing......was working only few night ago
    You tried unplugging the screen?