Self Study Guide

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Is the Cert guide for this exam enough to learn the basics of VOIP or should I go with another title? I want to take this exam before the end of the year but I need to learn VOIP basics sooner than that.

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Knwminus,

I've been using this book for about a month. I think the book is enough to gather the basics of the VoIP world. This book gives you a lot of information regarding the fundamentals of voice (PSTN & VoIP) and it also provides very detailed examples that build on one another regarding the configuration of Call Manager Express. This book (IMO) is well written and every chapter seems to build on the previous. If you're going to study for the certification... I would always suggest supplementing your studies with additional sources. HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Knwminus,

I've been using this book for about a month. I think the book is enough to gather the basics of the VoIP world. This book gives you a lot of information regarding the fundamentals of voice (PSTN & VoIP) and it also provides very detailed examples that build on one another regarding the configuration of Call Manager Express. This book (IMO) is well written and every chapter seems to build on the previous. If you're going to study for the certification... I would always suggest supplementing your studies with additional sources. HTH

-Peanut

Awesome.

I have the CBT nuggets for the CCVP and I was thinking about picking up IP telephony lab manual and maybe the gatekeepers book. Along with transcender I think this should be enough. I want this cert by the end of the year but I still need to do LPIC-1 and Security+ so I probably won't start with this until September. Are you going for the cert?
    Originally I didn't plan to do the cert... but I'm going to be honest (hopefully not sounding cocky) but I think the material is fairly easy. This may be because the book is well written and the configurations are fun & practical. FYI... I've supplemented my studies with the lab manual as well... So I believe I'm going to sit the exam next week. Again, that wasn't my original intent... but I feel really comfortable with the material from the books and therefore I'm going to attempt it soon. HTH.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Easier than CCNA:S?

That's good to here. I don't want to do the pro levels yet so I would like to round out my NA knowledge/Linux knowledge. Plus I think the matierial will be interesting. What are you using in your lab?
    knwminus wrote: »
    Easier than CCNA:S?
    Yes! Because the information was more practical and fun compared to the CCNA:S.
    That's good to here. I don't want to do the pro levels yet so I would like to round out my NA knowledge/Linux knowledge. Plus I think the matierial will be interesting. What are you using in your lab?

In my lab... I have:
    2621XM (maxed) with NM-2V, VIC-2FXS, VIC-2FXO, WIC-1T
    2x1760 (maxed) with WIC-1T, VIC-2E/M, 2xPVDM-12 (each router)
    1x3560 8-port PoE (borrowed from work)
    2x2950 12-port
    1x7971 IP Phone
    1x7961 IP Phone
    2x7960 IP Phones
    1x7906 IP Phone
    2 Laptops (Running Cisco IP Communicator & X-Lite [for SIP registration])
    1 PC (running trixbox [SIP service provider/trunk] in a virtual machine)

Thats everything in my lab regarding voice. I got an abundance of phones off of a very, very, sweet ebay deal and that's why I have so many phones!

HTH

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Cool lab.

I am thinking of picking up:

1 1760 router
    2 7940s

Since I already have 3 1721s, 2 2950s, and 1 2610 (non xm) would that be enough?

I am still not sure what wics I need for the NA:voice though
    Azaghul created an excellent sticky detailing some of the items you would need for the CCNA:V.

The 1760 is an ideal router for the voice track. I would recommend at least 2 so you can setup dial peers and have them call over your WAN to make calls between CME routers. The 7940 phones will work perfectly (IMO). Ideally you would want to throw in a Cisco IP Softphone as well. As far as WICs... you're actually going to want to get Voice Interface Cards (VICs). I would recommend the VIC-2FXS (works well with 1760s) and allows you to connect regular analog phones to your CME router. Also a VIC-2FXS to connect your CME router to your home PSTN (or PBX if you have one). Additionally, you'll want to pickup at least 1 PVDM12 for each router so you can practice using different codecs between CME routers and conferencing.

Your 2950s are just fine (I'm using 2 in my lab), you'll need the power bricks with your 7940s though... because the 2950s do not do PoE.

Other than that... I think you're good... don't be deterred by the additional items you need... they actually aren't all that expensive.
    VIC-2FXS ~$50
    VIC-2FXO ~$50
    PVDM12 ~$15

That's probably about all you would have to spend. I hope this helps...

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    The PVDM12's are 15 bucks but I thought the 1760's needed PVDM-256K-12 which are about 100 bucks....
    tha_dub wrote: »
    The PVDM12's are 15 bucks but I thought the 1760's needed PVDM-256K-12 which are about 100 bucks....

Tha_Dub,

I was under the same impression... Then I ran into this link which someone else mentioned the PVDM-12. I referenced the afore mentioned link in this post as well.

After reading this, I went on ebay, purchased the PVDM-12s and installed them into my 1760s. Presto... they work like a charm. I can run conferences, multiple codecs, analog phones... they work just fine. HTH.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Thanks for the find guys. I will be going after this for my last (planned) cert of the year.
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Tha_Dub,

I was under the same impression... Then I ran into this link which someone else mentioned the PVDM-12. I referenced the afore mentioned link in this post as well.

After reading this, I went on ebay, purchased the PVDM-12s and installed them into my 1760s. Presto... they work like a charm. I can run conferences, multiple codecs, analog phones... they work just fine. HTH.

-Peanut

Sorry about the late reply I've been busy finishing ccna. That is great news they are only like 15 bucks on ebay! Ordering one now and maybe an fxo too!