Internal Use of RDP

genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
Hey guys,

Would like to garner a general consensus from you all on whether your allow RDP internally for the average user. If you do, what are the business reasons for it and if you don't, what are the security reasons you don't?

I've been asked to grant rights for certain employees to RDP from one site to another because the shared folder that houses a small mdb (5MB) file takes a long time to load accross the T1.

Thoughts? Thanks!
1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I actively encourage the use of any technology that improves productivity.

Are they RDPing into a server? If not, I don't see the issue. The only problem I have experienced in situations like this is two users trying to RDP to the same PC at the same time or one closing his session w/o logging off the PC.

Now I have one question for you since we are talking MDBs. Have you seen Access Services in SharePoint 2010? OMFG!!!! It makes Access not suck!
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Internally we use Real VNC as opposed to RDP as its quicker and the user can see what we do and interact with us to show us what is going on etc.
    Internally we use Real VNC as opposed to RDP as its quicker and the user can see what we do and interact with us to show us what is going on etc.

I think you might need to re-read the question.
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    We allow users from remote sites to rdp onto one or two computers at our office. It works really well, generally speaking allowing port 3389 through the firewall isn't much of a risk - not that I'm a security expert.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used RDP in Iraq because the network connections were horrible so I would RDP to the server that I installed the firewall management console on so I could work on it "locally"
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Of course.

Remote web workplace and Terminal Services.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Our networks sit behind a firewall so users really start out with nothing until given access for a business need lol icon_thumright.gif

You cant have part timers or people that are just at the work place for a short period of time while they work on their , perhaps hacking or IT degrees , on the network using your network as a study tool / lab lol

any news on that new ccnp security track? i think im going to buy my ccna security book along with my ccdp book.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    I actively encourage the use of any technology that improves productivity.

Are they RDPing into a server? If not, I don't see the issue. The only problem I have experienced in situations like this is two users trying to RDP to the same PC at the same time or one closing his session w/o logging off the PC.

Now I have one question for you since we are talking MDBs. Have you seen Access Services in SharePoint 2010? OMFG!!!! It makes Access not suck!

Nope, just into Desktops. :) What makes Access in SharePoint 2010 so great? We're actually in the process of deploying SharePoint 2010 Std. :)
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Thanks to everyone else for your input. :)
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Nope, just into Desktops. :) What makes Access in SharePoint 2010 so great? We're actually in the process of deploying SharePoint 2010 Std. :)

The Access Show: Access 2010 demo of Access Services and web databases | The Access Show | Channel 9

Access Services allows non-technical users to easily create Access applications and then share them on the the SP site and it transforms them into web based applications with SQL backend. You then lose the (5-)10 user (practical) limit and you lose all the other crap that made Access suck and gain a ton of functionality. Of course you need the E-CAL and Office Enterprise 2010 so caching, caching $$$$$$$$.

But when you consider Excel Services, Access Services and PowerPivot all together it might be worth it.