Options

CCNA Voice and CVOICE

vidya_vrajanvidya_vrajan Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is the CCNA Voice and CVOICE are one n the same?

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    No they are two different exams.

CCNA-Voice 640-460 is the Associate exam. It's a great entry level exam into voice.

CVoice 642-436 is the professional exam and if passed gives you CCNA-Voice certification but also counts towards the CCVP track.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you guys recommend to read the IIUC before reading the CVOICE and take the exam? Someone I know said to skip the IIUC and just go straight CVOICE. I've taken the boot camp last year but I forgot most of them except the ones that we use at work.

IIUC costs $250 (all CCNA specialization) IIRC while CVOICE only costs $150. That said, I plan to take the CVOICE exam before the year ends.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    It all depends, if you have no voice exposure\knowledge I'd recomend the CCNA-Voice. It's a nice little intro. If however your going to go for the CCVP or then I'd skip the CCNA-Voice and go straight for CVoice. It requires a little more work to obtain but worth it imo. It also sounds like you have a little backround\exposure in voice that helps icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    It all depends, if you have no voice exposure\knowledge I'd recomend the CCNA-Voice. It's a nice little intro. If however your going to go for the CCVP or then I'd skip the CCNA-Voice and go straight for CVoice. It requires a little more work to obtain but worth it imo. It also sounds like you have a little backround\exposure in voice that helps icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your input. I've heard the same thing from other people. I know some concepts but my voice fundamentals can be better. I've read part of the ONT where it talks about voice and the limited voice information found in DESGN and BCMSN. I still haven't read the CVOICE book that I received from my boot camp that I took last year.

I work with some of the voice stuff but since I moved to another department it is pretty strictly routing & switching and I am being trained (not always because of other projects that I need to finish) to do packet analysis on our three different packet analyzers. I can still probably understand some of the configs on our remote routers but probably a little rusty now.

My original plan was to skip IIUC altogether and just jump on CVOICE. Now though, I am beginning to feel that it may be a better decision to start reading the IIUC before start preparing for the CVOICE exam. I am still fixed on taking the CVOICE exam just because I believe it is a waste of company's dime to take the IIUC.
  • Options
    zerglings wrote: »
    My original plan was to skip IIUC altogether and just jump on CVOICE. Now though, I am beginning to feel that it may be a better decision to start reading the IIUC before start preparing for the CVOICE exam. I am still fixed on taking the CVOICE exam just because I believe it is a waste of company's dime to take the IIUC.

I'd certainly read through the IIUC, its easier to follow and not as heavy going as the CVoice material. And will probably help understand some of the theory involved with CVoice.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    zerglings wrote: »
    Do you guys recommend to read the IIUC before reading the CVOICE and take the exam? Someone I know said to skip the IIUC and just go straight CVOICE.

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but did something change with Cisco certifications? Don't you need a CCNA first, before going for the CCNA: voice?
  • Options
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not reading this right, but did something change with Cisco certifications? Don't you need a CCNA first, before going for the CCNA: voice?

Nope nothing has change and your quite correct, the CCNA is a pre-requisite to the specialization exams and the professional ones.
    But given that the op and zerglings have these covered already I didnt think to mention that. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I did the CCNA Voice because when I strted preparing they hadnt made the CVOICE good for the CCNA Voice cert. I checked the CVOICE book and it's a step forward of the CCNA Voice. I would suggest that you go directly to CVOICE and read some of the CME features. There is a configuration guide in cisco.com that is truly great. Pick it up and familiarize with it.

Lots of companies are using CME. Learning about it can't harm you.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    I'd certainly read through the IIUC, its easier to follow and not as heavy going as the CVoice material. And will probably help understand some of the theory involved with CVoice.

Alright. Sounds like a good plan to me!

I have to admit that when I was at the boot camp most of the stuff covered went over my head! I learned bits and pieces while at work so it wasn't really a good voice fundamentals and then jump right in with CVOICE boot camp. It was a suggestion of one of the consultants that used to work for us that helped deploy and support the early days of our VoIP/IP Telephony infrastructure for us to take CVOICE and not the IIUC. It did however helped us understand most of the stuff that we work on though. But the CVOICE boot camp really didn't benefit me and my other team members to take it because only about less than 25% of the curriculum were related to what we do at work.
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    Nope nothing has change and your quite correct, the CCNA is a pre-requisite to the specialization exams and the professional ones.
    But given that the op and zerglings have these covered already I didnt think to mention that. icon_smile.gif

laidbackfreak is correct. If you look at my certifications list I have completed CCNP. That said, I also completed CCNA.
  • Options
    AlexMR wrote: »
    I did the CCNA Voice because when I strted preparing they hadnt made the CVOICE good for the CCNA Voice cert. I checked the CVOICE book and it's a step forward of the CCNA Voice. I would suggest that you go directly to CVOICE and read some of the CME features. There is a configuration guide in cisco.com that is truly great. Pick it up and familiarize with it.

Lots of companies are using CME. Learning about it can't harm you.

We use CME for SRST mode.