Options

How would you play this in the interview?

langenoirlangenoir Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a SysAdmin (Windows, Lotus Domino, VMWare, etc) interview tomorrow. The job pays well, but it’s a 12hour 3pm to 3 am shift. I was told by the recruiter that it’s either Sun to Tues or Wed to Fri. So I ask if that means I can just work the Sun to Tues shift and he said yes. This sounds too good to be true right, work 3 days and then have Wed through Sat off???

Now on the job posting it says;
*Shift: 3:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. Either Sunday through Tuesday OR Wednesday through Friday.

And under Required Experience it says;
“Must be able and willing to work on a rotating schedule that may include nights and weekends.”

I think he put one over on me because I interpret that as meaning that I would be working either Sunday through Tuesday or Wednesday through Friday depending on the rotation/schedule and not just the Sun - Tues I want.

So if that is the case would you;

1. Ask for more money (The job pays 70- 80k and I asked for 70k . Considering the economy and my experience level, I'm ok with 70k.)
2. Don’t make a fuss and take the job. (I need a job to move to NYC and I can always look for something better once I am moved)
3. Walk

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Go with a combination of all of them. Tell them the hours you want. If they can't meet that then ask for more money to compensate. If they don't want to do that its your choice, take the job or walk.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Go with a combination of all of them. Tell them the hours you want. If they can't meet that then ask for more money to compensate. If they don't want to do that its your choice, take the job or walk.

+1 for this icon_smile.gif

but to be honest I'm not surprised that its rotational. You may find someone who will swap shifts for you but unlikely. Still it doesnt hurt to ask I'd certainly ask for more clarification on the shift patterns.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I worked 6pm to 6am on a rotating schedule for four years. I made $17/hour, non-salary. I would have murdered a bus full of children for $70k on my schedule.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Recruiters are clueless.

A) If this is for a permanent position:

1) Confirm the hours with the client during the interview process. Decide if you can deal with the schedule for $70K.

2) Once you have an offer letter in hand, attempt to negotiate a raise to offset the change in hours.

3) either take the job or don't depending on what they come back with.

B: if temp to perm:

1) Same as above

2) Take the job and do everything you can to be worth a raise if and when they roll you over to permanent.
  • Options
    langenoirlangenoir Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good advise. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I worked 6pm to 6am on a rotating schedule for four years. I made $17/hour, non-salary. I would have murdered a bus full of children for $70k on my schedule.

Even if they were singing "Jesus Loves Me"? icon_twisted.gif
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Selfmade wrote: »
    Even if they were singing "Jesus Loves Me"? icon_twisted.gif
    I think there is a typo. Let me correct this.

Even if they were singing "Jesus Loves Me"!!!!icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    A lot of IT is moving to shift work whether we like it or not.

I worked 4 on 4 off for 2 years. Felt like I was unemployed but still getting basic pay and a nice 20% on top for shift allowance which these types of jobs incurr. (check what bonus it is for shift allowance) Very odd to begin with. I remember getting cut up by another car on a day off shift and the other guy shouting at me to go get a job. I thought that was hillarious.

It was nice to spend decent time with the wife when the kids were at school which we hadn't done in years and being able to go to the gym during the week when it was half empty rather than having to go on weekends when it was full. Yes you miss part of the weekend and some shift patterns start at different times of the day and night but overall, it is worth it for the quality time you get back and the extra pay.
    Kam.