Options

Need to buy a punchdown tool/kit

drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
Can anyone suggest a good basic punchdown kit for Cat5e? I just need to practice, cheap would be good.

Thanks,
Andrew

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Get a cheap one off ebay. They are good for the job of practicing. Get a crimping tool, some rj45 ends and a cheap patch panel while you are at it. Connect your console cables, pc nic and ethernet ports to the back of it and you can change around topologies just by repatching the front of the patch panel. Makes your home lab nice and tidy too.
    Kam.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Spend slightly more and buy a metal ratcheting crimping tool instead cheap crap plastic ones that never crimp properly and break. You'll make up the increased price just in time saved in the future when you don't have to diagnose bad crimps.
  • Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    I've always bought Ideal brand they are little more expensive buy my crimper punchdown, etc have been with me for about 12 years not. cost me about $400 total as complete kit but you can by them individually with less cash out the door.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I got most of my networking tools from monoprice. I even bought my 1000' bulk Cat5e there as well. I bought my cable tester from newegg. And the dry wall ring from local homedepot.
    I was so happy that I wired the entire 2nd floor of my house(townhouse). My dad help me to put the Cat5es inside the drywall. It was hard, but it was fun at the same time.
    I was thinking to use a patch panel, but decided not to because we only wired 4 rooms, and 1 for the network printer.

After I finished everything, that was when I realized that networking is freaking awesome. Also, that was when Cisco was the right path, I told myself. I just hope that I get a network engineer position someday(still working on my CCNA).
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    What do you think of this one? $16 sounds pretty cheap but it looks like it ratchets and has some metal components.

For only $14.42 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3 Ways Modular Plug Crimps, Strips, and Cuts Tool with Ratchet [HT-L2182R] | Professional Modular Crimps, Strips, & Cuts Tool

Thanks,

Andrew
  • Options
    This one is also within budget @ $37. It looks a little more professional, but I don't want to simply throw money away!

For only $33.18 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Professional Modular Crimps, Strips, and Cuts Tool with Ratchet [HT-2008AR] | Professional Modular Crimps, Strips, & Cuts Tool

Wow, Monoprice is a great site!

Andrew
  • Options
    jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    drew2000 wrote: »
    This one is also within budget @ $37. It looks a little more professional, but I don't want to simply throw money away!

For only $33.18 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Professional Modular Crimps, Strips, and Cuts Tool with Ratchet [HT-2008AR] | Professional Modular Crimps, Strips, & Cuts Tool

Wow, Monoprice is a great site!

Andrew

The one thing I would suggest is get a crimper that crimps and cuts the wire at the same time, that way you can use the RJ45 connections that the wire feed all the way through the connection. You just leave a couple inches of wire and then put them in the RJ45 and the excess will feed all the way through the connection, then you can double check your color code before crimping with the wires hanging out the other side of the connections. I've put on a lot of connections the last year and have yet to put on a bad one with these type of connections.
  • Options
    jmc012 wrote: »
    The one thing I would suggest is get a crimper that crimps and cuts the wire at the same time

I will look and see if I can find one. I am new to using crimping tools -- if you have any brand/model recommendations please let me know!

Andrew
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    If I were you I'd look around for a kit with all the basic punch/crimp tools.

Tool List (someone chime in if I missed anything)
    66 punch
    110 punch
    bix punch
    crimper for 4, 6 and 8 pin RJ 11/45 connectors.

I found couple online that sell the whole kits but I can't recommend anything I bought all mine separately for a lot more dough.
  • Options
    Are both the 66 punch and the 110 punch needed for standard connections? What is the bix punch for?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I work in a totally fiber environment.

Andrew