Options

5 years experience with AT&T, thinking of CCNA

TK7TK7 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello. just found this forum from a google search.

Im currently a service tech for AT&T. Great pay great benefits, especially for only high school diploma. However, i see this job going away in the near future and would like to stay within the related field and use my experience as a foundation.

thinking of starting by getting my CCNA. what kind of job oppurtunities will there be with 5+ years related experience and CCNA? Do you think this would be a good career path?

thank you!

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Out of curiosity, what did your job at AT&T entail? Was it network related?
  • Options
    TK7TK7 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ^yes. Install and repair phone, DSL, uverse from the CO switch, to the customer jack. and Im a CPE tech, working on customer owned routers, PC's and networks. Business and residential.

Im sure its on a much smaller scale than what the average CCNA would normally be employed to work on. But i can still use it on my resume :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to TE!
    I could definitely see it helping you. Some people will probably disagree but I would probably study for the Net+ first. I'm not saying the Net+ will help you get a job but it will be like wading into the water before you get in deep with the CCNA studies.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TE!
    I agree with earweed icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What you said:
    TK7 wrote: »
    ^yes. Install and repair phone, DSL, uverse from the CO switch, to the customer jack. and Im a CPE tech, working on customer owned routers, PC's and networks. Business and residential.

What I heard:
    Future CCVP :D

Some people think the Network+ is redundant if you're targeting the CCNA -- but it is a good foundation if you don't already have a Computer Data Networking background. Plus if you get it before December you have a "lifetime Certification" -- so I'd agree it's probably worth targeting first.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I was a tech for Comcast and did customer installs from the tap to the demarc for about a year then moved into the Data Center as an Analyst. An A.S., B.S. and a CCNA later and I'm a Network Tech II for a national ISPworking in a NOC.

Will the CCNA help? Yes, but it won't be the deciding factor. I would do as others have suggested and go for the Net+ first, best to wade into the deep end than to job head first! I wish you the best.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus