Options

Anyone else pick up an HTV Evo 4G??

Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
By far the best phone i've ever owned. Very fast, never shows any lag or slowdown. Very customizable.

Coming from a Pre which got the "Sorry, too many cards" error just from opening an email, this is a very welcome upgrade.

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I almost got a Pre when they came out. Does it seem that Palm gave up on it?
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »

Honestly the phone was pretty good until the 1.4.1 patch. Not sure what they did but I couldnt even load my email without severe lag. Soon as i'd open one message my reply/fwd buttons would grey out and the phone would start saying I had too many apps open.

I never modified the phone, no homebrew, no root, no preware patches.

I think Palms focus now is on web connected devices like printers and tablets. Though im sure they will still kick out a few phones. I think WebOS has real promise and in a year or two will be a great OS but for now its still in a late beta stage, IMO.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like to get the phone but Sprint sucks from what people say.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    zerglings wrote: »
    I like to get the phone but Sprint sucks from what people say.

I went to ATT from Sprint. My only issue was the area I went to for my two weeks National Guard annual training had pretty much zero coverage out there but ATT was full bars. Another was my wife and I had major issues with their customer service. We had it happen twice where Best Buy sold us phones and Sprint said the rebate was invalid. Now Best Buy does the rebates there which is a big improvement. Another customer service issue was my wife tried to change our plan and they ended up cancelling my phone and switched her to a single plan from a family plan which was nothing what we asked for. When she called back they ended up turning my phone back on, but disabled voice mail. When she called back again they turned her phone off...

We finally got it straightened out though.
  • Options
    Oh wow, talk about getting bad customer service. I guess I am staying with AT&T.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sprint CS department isn't that bad - AS LONG AS you ***** enough and get an American. If you do not, you will deal with India for hours. I kid you not my little sister was on the phone with them for about 45 minutes, I got on the phone, yelled at them a bit, got escalated to America and the problem was solved in 5 minutes. I think that is true with most companies though, to many people concerned about the bottom line rather than actually customer support.

As far as the EVO, I am going to hold off for a few months and wait and see. My contract with Sprint will be up at the end of the month so I could go somewhere else. Sprint is pretty cheap and the phone looks sexy but I want it to get a few patches/updates first. I am not paying almost 800 dollars for my wife and I to get buggy phones. After you add bluetooth and a case for both, I will probably be looking at about 1k that day so I need it to work.
  • Options
    This exclusivity bullcrap must be abolished but still keep the price point of the phones. I know, you can't have everything you want.
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    I looked over the EVO a good bit yesterday, and while its a great phone, there is no way im handing out 300+ per phone that day, without any accessories etc, plus up our bills 10 bucks each per month to have the opportunity to use 4g. My wife and I are due new phones from sprint, and I think we are both going to go with the Samsung Moment. Its an older phone sure, but runs the same OS as the EVO, and by the time its said and done (after mail in rebate) they are 99 bucks each.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am happy with my Pre. I do however wonder what the next step is for Palm. I have read that they are working on a pre replacment... not sure if it is rumor mill BS, or if it is reality.

Honestly... Andriod is why I am not as interested in the EVO... have to wait and see what other OSes come out.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I have it and I'm coming from a 3GS Iphone. So far not 1 droped call and the internet is much faster even tough i'm not on 4G yet. The battery seems to drain much quicker, but hey you can at least swap. So far I like it. I will have it till the end of the month and I will decide.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sprint recently did a change to their customer service department in order to make it better. They realized that customer service was a problem for them and fixed it.

Sprint's recently huge subscriber loss was a big motivational factor for them to improve their business. I hear they give out free wireless receivers for customer who have problems with service in their home.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mishra wrote: »
    I hear they give out free wireless receivers for customer who have problems with service in their home.

I'd like to check on that. I've had friends over to my house and by where I live the only carrier which gets over 1 bar inside is verizon. If Sprint would do this for me I might consider them as Sprint phones only work outside away from the house(during winter, during summer not at all). I currently have Corr and have to carry phone with me because I get nothing anywhere in my house or yard, At the main highway I get 3 bars and get all my voicemails from missed calls.
    My contract with Corr is up next month (finally) and I'll probably switch to Verizon and get a Droid. Although it would be neat to have one of these new 4G phones I don't want to fork over that much cash just to get the newest gadget. My time away from home is either driving, work, family time, or just getting away from everything and I would not use most of the newest and best features available anyway.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I looked over the EVO a good bit yesterday, and while its a great phone, there is no way im handing out 300+ per phone that day, without any accessories etc, plus up our bills 10 bucks each per month to have the opportunity to use 4g. My wife and I are due new phones from sprint, and I think we are both going to go with the Samsung Moment. Its an older phone sure, but runs the same OS as the EVO, and by the time its said and done (after mail in rebate) they are 99 bucks each.

You can get the Evo for $199 + tax from Best Buy with no mail-in-rebate crap.
  • Options
    I've been with sprint for about 7 years and ive never had a real problem. Their customer service wasnt so great about 4-5 years ago, but its way better nowadays.

The Evo is an amazing phone and i'm glad Sprint finally had a winner. Estimates are in the 350,000 range for the FIRST day sales of the Evo.

Oh and if you have Sprint, you can roam on the Verizon network. So you really arent out of service much.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hopefully it's still that price (or lower) next month because I might get one.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Hopefully it's still that price (or lower) next month because I might get one.

You never know. It might go down because of the iPhone 4th generation.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Seriously? Do you have to be a new sprint customer or a returning one?

I am going to have to go check out the big box....
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Seriously? Do you have to be a new sprint customer or a returning one?

I am going to have to go check out the big box....

I don't know if you need to be a new Sprint customer. I think even existing customers that are eligible for an upgrade will be able to avail the $199 price. Check their website, it is listed as $199 with no MIR. Engadget also had an article when HTC Evo was up for pre-order and mentioned that if you get your phone from Best Buy then you don't have to deal with the MIR crap.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been using an iPhony for the past year (iPod Touch with Skype and TextFree on Clear 4G) but I have been considering getting an actual cell phone again. Had AT&T not screwed up their data plans I would actually consider an iPhone 4 but instead I am considering going back to Spring with the Evo 4G. I wonder if they still have any account info for me in their system, was a customer for about 8 years but canceled a year ago.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I have been using an iPhony for the past year (iPod Touch with Skype and TextFree on Clear 4G) but I have been considering getting an actual cell phone again. Had AT&T not screwed up their data plans I would actually consider an iPhone 4 but instead I am considering going back to Spring with the Evo 4G. I wonder if they still have any account info for me in their system, was a customer for about 8 years but canceled a year ago.

If you think you'll go over 2GB/month then it may not be a good move to consider entering the contract with AT&T. However, if 2GB is plenty enough then you'll be fine. As mentioned in another thread, a lot of people don't go over 1GB/month.
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    The price of the Evo 4g for returning sprint members (both at a sprint store and online) is 199 and a $100 mail in rebate, which means, you actually pay $299 for the device, and wait for the 100 to come back to you how ever many weeks / months later. This is also the same price for new customers.
  • Options
    The price of the Evo 4g for returning sprint members (both at a sprint store and online) is 199 and a $100 mail in rebate, which means, you actually pay $299 for the device, and wait for the 100 to come back to you how ever many weeks / months later. This is also the same price for new customers.

Only true if you're going to get it from Sprint and other vendors. If you go to Best Buy, you don't have to deal with MIR. Check their website for more details.
  • Options
    zerglings I would definatly go over the 2GB/month limitation, it is only a couple hours worth of streaming Pandora.

Thanks for the tip about Best Buy, I hate dealing with MIRs, been waiting a couple months for my $50 back on my Touchsmart TM2, just got an email saying it is about to be mailed and I can expect it in 4-6 more weeks...
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »

HP bought Palm. My theory is that they wanted the WebOS to make an ipad rip off. Which would be cool, I love the os.

I also love my palm pre. My only desire is more RAM and more internal memory. I'm on sprint so I only have the 8GB. I am nowhere close filling my 8GB, but if I put all of my music on it I could. An SD card would be awesome too, but if I had 16GB of internal storage I could live without it.

It would also be nice if adobe got off their @**. They promised flash in the first half of 2010, and we are still waiting on it....... I suppose they technically have 3 more weeks, but c'mon!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    zerglings I would definatly go over the 2GB/month limitation, it is only a couple hours worth of streaming Pandora.

Thanks for the tip about Best Buy, I hate dealing with MIRs, been waiting a couple months for my $50 back on my Touchsmart TM2, just got an email saying it is about to be mailed and I can expect it in 4-6 more weeks...

Then don't sign up with AT&T because they took out the unlimited data plan.

Looks like Best Buy is not the only retailer that is advertising HTC Evo for $199 without MIR. I just checked Radio Shack and they're offering the phone for $199 as well without MIR.
  • Options
    I got the Evo at best buy for 199.99, no mail in rebate junk. It was an upgrade (been a customer with sprint forever)

Radio Shack has the same price, no rebate.
  • Options
    zobo88zobo88 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    4G Evo is the first smartphone with WiMAX , although it uses WiMAX for only data but still it is a big step towards the networks of tomorrow i.e. WiMAX and LTE
  • Options
    Shame everyone is sold out around here and online is a 1-2 week wait icon_sad.gif
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Everyone is picking up the phone. Didn't that happen to Palm Pre? The first month it was sold out? But the hype of Pre died down pretty quick?
  • Options
    Everyone is picking up the phone. Didn't that happen to Palm Pre? The first month it was sold out? But the hype of Pre died down pretty quick?

The Pre also had about 1/3 of the units available at launch. The Evo sold as many phones on day 1 as the Pre and Instincts first three days combined.

Considering how staunch a competitor the Evo is for the iPhone, and being that its NOT on AT&T and the plans for it are much cheaper I don't think the demand will die off totally.