Options

What else do I need for CCNP Lab

Comments

• Options
    NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Whats the difference between a 3550-SMI with an EMI image and a 3550-12T which is EMI with regard to Layer 3. I've put their routing protocols side by side and they seem identicle.

SMI is very basic, I think it's just RIP that it will do. You probably have the EMI image loaded on an SMI switch. If it says IPSERVICES then it's the EMI image.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    With a 3550 SMI (c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-20.EA1a.bin EMI IOS Crypto Image) and a c3550-12T (c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-20.EA1a.bin EMI IOS Image) Feature nav has both running BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, etc.

What I don't understand is the 12-T is dedicated EMI whilst the SMI has an EMI image. Does that make any real difference to the routing they can do.
    Kam.
  • Options
    tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been reading a bit on some of the responses, would everyone say that if I picked up:

2x3550's
    2x2950's

and used the Dynamips for the rest I could get by just fine for the entire content? I don't mind memorizing some command stuff, but I really have to get some time at the keyboard for me to grasp it and cash is a bit limited to pick up routers and switches. I picked 4 switches because it seems to be the standard among most of the configurations in the material.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    tanix wrote: »
    I have been reading a bit on some of the responses, would everyone say that if I picked up:

2x3550's
    2x2950's

and used the Dynamips for the rest I could get by just fine for the entire content? I don't mind memorizing some command stuff, but I really have to get some time at the keyboard for me to grasp it and cash is a bit limited to pick up routers and switches. I picked 4 switches because it seems to be the standard among most of the configurations in the material.

Yeah that's about right. 4 switches would be pretty suffice and the one's you listed is what everyone usually has at home.
  • Options
    VancouverTechieVancouverTechie Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am new to the forum and expect the rest of my equipment today. From what I have read over the net I hope this will be enough for the CCNP.

3 2620XM - 3 WIC-1t,
    1 3640 - NM-8A/S
    2 2924 XL EN
    1 2950G

Server stuff:

2 Dell Poweredge 840s 16GB RAM ESX4 400GB SATA RAID
    1 Dell Poweredge 2650 6GB RAM 450GB ISCSI SAN - Openfiler

Most of the equipment I got from CablesAndKits.Com The server stuff locally.

John
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    VancouverTechie
    The only thing I could see you needing is 1-2 3550's to do L3 switching. You shouldn't need those until you get to SWITCH. I would start with ROUTE, then add your 3550's and then go after SWITCH. 2950 is good for L2 and the 2924XL's are good as 2nd-3rd switches, but you'll probably still need the 3550's unless your going to simulate in Dynamips/GNS3 and you won't be able to do "everything" that is required.
  • Options
    tanix wrote: »

2x3550's
    2x2950's

That should work out fine! icon_thumright.gif I should have done this when I got my equipment. I still need to add another 2950 and 2 3550's and whatever else I need for CCIE. lol. Just don't have the money right now.
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    That should work out fine! icon_thumright.gif I should have done this when I got my equipment. I still need to add another 2950 and 2 3550's and whatever else I need for CCIE. lol. Just don't have the money right now.

Gotta get the 3560's for CCIE, at least 1 anyways.
  • Options
    Gotta get the 3560's for CCIE, at least 1 anyways.

Yup. I have 3 3550s waiting on a 3560 to join it. If I can't find one soon on the cheap I'll probably just buy another 3550 and buy rack time when I need to work on the stuff the 50s can't do.
  • Options
    VancouverTechieVancouverTechie Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I think I can borrow a 3550 or two from work when I get to that point. I hope to have some time this weekend to get the IOSs updated and configured. But after my VCP exam this Friday.

Has anyone seen a good price on a 3550? Right now I seen one WS-C3550-24-SMI for 299.00

John
    VancouverTechie
    The only thing I could see you needing is 1-2 3550's to do L3 switching. You shouldn't need those until you get to SWITCH. I would start with ROUTE, then add your 3550's and then go after SWITCH. 2950 is good for L2 and the 2924XL's are good as 2nd-3rd switches, but you'll probably still need the 3550's unless your going to simulate in Dynamips/GNS3 and you won't be able to do "everything" that is required.
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    So right now I have a 3725 and a 2610. I am waiting on 3 2950T's to arrive, and I am about to buy two 3550's.

What else do I really need as far as routers go? If I am not mistaken I won't need a 2621xm since I have the 3725.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    fly351 wrote: »
    So right now I have a 3725 and a 2610. I am waiting on 3 2950T's to arrive, and I am about to buy two 3550's.

What else do I really need as far as routers go? If I am not mistaken I won't need a 2621xm since I have the 3725.

I would just use what you got and simulate the rest with Dynamips/GNS3. Tie your real equipment into your virtual equipment. There are tutorials on "how" to do it on Dynamips website. In addition, it will save money. But, if you want to purchase a router, I would say get 1-2 2650XM's or something like that and you should be good to go. I know there is a dude named Brandon on Ebay that sells used Tech Equipment, the 2650xm's I think you can get at a decent price.
  • Options
    I really can't stand GNS3, I would rather have real equipment.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2 x 2950 is enough and you probably won't use it when you start taking CCIE R&S. The recommended setup is 2 x 3550 and 2 x 3560, at least this is based from INE's topology when it was still posted.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□

Has anyone seen a good price on a 3550? Right now I seen one WS-C3550-24-SMI for 299.00

John

I have a few that I will part with for $250.
  • Options
    It's all based on personal preference. I have seen a bunch of people slam GNS3/Dynamips. It's all good, I know what you mean, I got the real equipment sitting right here beside my PC. But, I still use Dynamips as well. I actually like tying dynamips into my real equipment too icon_thumright.gif. I wish I would have knew what I was doing when I started CCNA and all of CCNP. I would have saved myself a good bit of money until now. But, I got the equipment, all I need to do now is add to it. That or buy rack time when I do the CCIE lab practice. :D
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Okay bought myself 2 3550 EMI ones for 400.00 together. They both work. I got them from a buddy of mine
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Okay bought myself 2 3550 EMI ones for 400.00 together. They both work. I got them from a buddy of mine

Solid acquisition. That should be good enough for your entire CCNP.

The only things the 3550 does NOT support are:

dhcp snooping
    DAI
    pvlans
    IPv6

I might be forgetting some but other than that you should be able to rock out.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just got my 2 3550s in today!!! Woohoo!!! I have the EMI image... as long as I install the image, I'll be able to perform advanced routing protocols... is that the only benefit of EMI or am I totally off basis? Thanks!

-Peanut

EDIT:

Just read this link: EMI vs. SMI and got the answer I was looking for!! Time to toy around now!!! WooHoo!!!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options

$400 total? That is a slammin' deal then...

Is it PoE too?
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure will take a look tonight. I just got them last night. At work today. I might have to hold off on my studies for CCNP. I was reading more into the CCNA Security and actually finding it interesting now.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure will take a look tonight. I just got them last night. At work today. I might have to hold off on my studies for CCNP. I was reading more into the CCNA Security and actually finding it interesting now.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! crash.gif

Sorry, i just had a SDM flashback!!! Good luck with your studies icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options

One reason I went with CCNA:S is that I knew when I started CCNP that it was going to be a pretty long studying period. So I wanted to pick up CCNA:S first, then jump on CCNP. Studying for CCNA:S is almost like studying for SWITCH so I felt the overlap was worth it.

And it's nice to have at least 2 certs under your belt.

You may get frustrated with SDM though as it seems to frustrate most people, I can vouch for that.....
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can vouch for that.....

me tooicon_lol.gif
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    I did a different route, because I heard that ISCW overlaps with CCNA: Security a good bit, I went right into my CCNP studies after my CCNA. With intentions to take the ISCW. But, I ended up doing TSHOOT instead of ONT, and ISCW. I read and studied ONT materials though, and I'm doing ISCW now. So, I thought about picking up the exam cert guide, and going through it and getting the CCNA: Security. But I can't decide if I should or just go after my CCIE. CCIE I'm going after either way, just don't know if I want to do CCNA: Security first.
  • Options
    If you are looking for a good deal on 3550's, search ebay for...

"LOT OF 3" +"WS-C3550"
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCIE I'm going after either way, just don't know if I want to do CCNA: Security first.

Go for the CCIE. You'll earn more money after your CCIE than having CCNP and CCNA:S in my opinion.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    I finally finished buying my lab. I can't wait for the gear to show up :)

3 x 2950T
    2 x 3550
    1 x 2610 (already had)
    2 x 2621
    1 x 2650xm
    1 x 3725
  • Options
    zerglings wrote: »
    Go for the CCIE. You'll earn more money after your CCIE than having CCNP and CCNA:S in my opinion.

Bill and I were talking about this yesterday over IM yesterday actually. I was considering going back and getting my CCNA:Security as well. The reason being that at interviews I'm getting knocked out of consideration because of my lack of firewall experience. I can follow a config and figure out what it's doing for the most part, but I'm not expert. Unfortunately, all the jobs I've gone for want you to be a Master Jedi for everything under the sun. So, my thinking was study for the CCNA:Security and knock that out to get the fundamentals of down so I can be more confident about my abilities. Once I get a better job, I can afford to take the CCIE lab more than once.
  • Options
    Nuul wrote: »
    Unfortunately, all the jobs I've gone for want you to be a Master Jedi for everything under the sun.

geez tell me about it.... most of the jobs I have seen in the past 6 months are like... "X years exp in Unix management, X years exp in <insert programming lang>, X years in networking, X years in VMware, X years in security, X years Windows Server.. Oh and BS in IT, CCNP, CISSP" etc etc.. icon_sad.gif