Options

thenjduke road to CCNP

2»

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah which makes it kinda suck for any vendor who is antsy to implement a feature.

They would have to spend their own money and research just to get it done.

Then IEEE will see how many people are using it in networks and create an open standard.....

exactly the idea, IEE standards are not really meant to be at the cutting edge. Take EIGRP for instance, its not a standard because there is no need for another standard routing protocol.

They are for the times you need to send data/work between separate manufactures. most companies use a single manufacture across there sites, so they can take advantage of the high end stuff that are propriety to them. you turn to standard where you need to pass data over to a different manafacture.

Remember the funding for IEE is not high, they mostly made up of members who often work for the big companies like cisco, who decided what parts of the technologies they have spent time and money researching, are in effect to become open source.

but that's the only point of standards. To make it easy for manufactures to have a set of specs to insure that there hardware works with others at least at some level.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    DevilWAH wrote: »

Remember the funding for IEE is not high, they mostly made up of members who often work for the big companies like cisco, who decided what parts of the technologies they have spent time and money researching, are in effect to become open source.

Very well said. Something that I've forgotten. I think the IETF functions this way as well. They really have no "leader". Just a lot of technical guys who meet annually to discuss protocols/RFC's....

If the vendor's proprietary feature is superior than an open standard, it gives the vendor a good excuse to keep their equipment in customers networks and to force them to use them again for future equipment. As long as there's no open standard as an option.
  • Options
    CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Felt a tad peckish so I opted for a sandwich. Went with fresh lettuce, tomato, and mayo on some whole wheat along with assorted meats. Tasty. Tomorrow planning on experimenting with kaiser bun. Stay tuned.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll start compiling the list as I run into them....

I remember those IRQ days, wow such a pain....when PnP came out, I just didn't believe it....

I didn't believe it either. Wow all the problems I ran into with old hardware. I got to say thank God for Plug and Pray.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Finish Chapter one and the Two first videos for Spanning-Tree off CBT Nuggets. I am going to read second chapter tonight. I have a break between classes for next two weeks to get some studing done. So far this has pretty much been review but looking for to Rapid Spanning Tree. I have pretty much learn RSTP as well but like to go over it again. I have manage to come up with the money to get a 3550 for lab so as soon as see one on ebay I want then off I go to get it.
    The nuggets were pretty much about port states, bridge id, elections of root bridge, cost, and path to root bridge. Normal STP stuff and PVSTP as well. Not much difference from the CCNA stuff.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Now you know why I went with SWITCH first. The ROUTE is going to be a major speed block for me. My brain slows down when thinking about routing protocols......it's a weakness I must face head on though....

Good luck on the 3550 switch, it's a fun switch indeed....

I am in the same situation with you. I always hated the route table on Windows and after learning routing on CCNA I am not so nervous of routing anymore.
  • Options
    Well last two days I have been studing etherchannel and multilayer inter vlan routing. I watch the cbt nuggets videos but going to read a few more chapters in the book. It is nice to finally get out of CCNA topics and get in more depth. I have to admit alot of it feels like review with a few items added to the top. I guess once you get theory down it is all the same :)
  • Options
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Well last two days I have been studing etherchannel and multilayer inter vlan routing. I watch the cbt nuggets videos but going to read a few more chapters in the book. It is nice to finally get out of CCNA topics and get in more depth. I have to admit alot of it feels like review with a few items added to the top. I guess once you get theory down it is all the same :)

It really is a review. You're going to slow down a bit more when you start hitting some newer topics but they aren't hard, just new!!
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    It really is a review. You're going to slow down a bit more when you start hitting some newer topics but they aren't hard, just new!!

Really? I don't remember learning about RSTP, MST, STP TCNs, STP enhancements like BPDUGuard/Filter, port security, aaa, etc.

Although I did take the CCNA like 8 years ago.

*EDIT*

I guess I'm thinking of 1 or 2 chapters ahead of where you are. They're fun topics, so enjoy when you get there.
  • Options
    tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□

Yep, It was a lot of review for the first part of the cert book with a few minor additions (depth into CAM and TCAM) and I was blowing through it. Then I slowed down when I got to HSRP, VRRP, GLBP and everything from then on seems pretty new to me, though some were vague mentions from Todd Lammele's CCNA book.

I have ran through the book once, and through some of the exam review and I can say the "concept" isn't that hard, its just trying to remember all the commands and details concerning the concepts. Though my problem is not having something to practice on atm (and its really frustrating).
  • Options
    Really? I don't remember learning about RSTP, MST, STP TCNs, STP enhancements like BPDUGuard/Filter, port security, aaa, etc.

*EDIT*

I guess I'm thinking of 1 or 2 chapters ahead of where you are. They're fun topics, so enjoy when you get there.

Actually they did go on the cbt nuggets and books on CCNA about RSTP, STP enhancements and aaa was cover on the security I was studing for. I have not taken the certification for it as I got bored but learn some of the concepts. Port security is actually talked alot in CCNA course now.
  • Options
    Actually they did go on the cbt nuggets and books on CCNA about RSTP, STP enhancements and aaa was cover on the security I was studing for. I have not taken the certification for it as I got bored but learn some of the concepts. Port security is actually talked alot in CCNA course now.

you are right I noticed a lot common from the CCNA, However you need to know it all in so much more detail. The CCNA brushed the surface with things like VLANS and STP. When you take the CCNP SWITCH exam its a different game.

The CCNA expect you to have heard about them. the CCNP expect you to be able to trouble shoot them and go in to much more depth.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    you are right I noticed a lot common from the CCNA, However you need to know it all in so much more detail. The CCNA brushed the surface with things like VLANS and STP. When you take the CCNP SWITCH exam its a different game.

The CCNA expect you to have heard about them. the CCNP expect you to be able to trouble shoot them and go in to much more depth.

Yes I am becoming aware of that. I been building my labs and messing around with them more and making things break.
  • Options

*EDIT*

The best path to the new SWITCH exam is from CCNA to CCNA Security then SWITCH.

Everything you just mentioned is either in CCNA or CCNA:S. Which makes studying for SWITCH pretty lovely...

Until you hit QoS, VOIP, Wireless, FHRP's and PPDIOO....
  • Options
    The best path to the new SWITCH exam is from CCNA to CCNA Security then SWITCH.

Everything you just mentioned is either in CCNA or CCNA:S. Which makes studying for SWITCH pretty lovely...

Until you hit QoS, VOIP, Wireless, FHRP's and PPDIOO....

Do you think I should finish the studies for the CCNA security?
  • Options

I liked the CCNA security. and I want to do the CCSP so yer I would carry on and complete it .
  • Options

Well, it depends, it sounds like you're about halfway through the book now? At this point, you might as well just finish SWITCH.

Then what I would do is before you go with ROUTE and TSHOOT, take a look at CCNA:S, you might be able to bang out that cert before you then finish up the CCNP.

I only went with CCNA Security because others have mentioned how much of an overlap there is with CCNA S and SWITCH/BCMSN, and they were right on the mark....

And on top of that, I now have two certifications as oppose to just one....
  • Options
    Well, it depends, it sounds like you're about halfway through the book now? At this point, you might as well just finish SWITCH.

Then what I would do is before you go with ROUTE and TSHOOT, take a look at CCNA:S, you might be able to bang out that cert before you then finish up the CCNP.

I only went with CCNA Security because others have mentioned how much of an overlap there is with CCNA S and SWITCH/BCMSN, and they were right on the mark....

And on top of that, I now have two certifications as oppose to just one....

Yeah I might just do that. I actually started the CCNA Security but got bored of it. I just hate SDM :)
  • Options
    I liked the CCNA security. and I want to do the CCSP so yer I would carry on and complete it .

This is a track I have been looking at but I want to get the CCNP behind me as well. I am a good portion of way into the book already and the nuggets and it actually becoming a addiction with Cisco Certifications to go for them all :)
  • Options
    Yeah I might just do that. I actually started the CCNA Security but got bored of it. I just hate SDM :)

SDM is good for one thing.. Getting a demo config :)

I learnt zone based firewalls by running through the wizard on SDM. dumping the config to a text file and then running through it by hand and manually configuring the firewall useing CLI,

did the same to learn easy VPN config.

it produces tacky code, but the very process of going through it and tidying it up teaches you loads.
  • Options
    Okay I configured some ether channels today and I actually enjoy that on my live equipment. I was also doing some more reading. I started to watch the CBT Nugget about Cisco Express Forwarding. Wow want to talk about speed on layer 3 switch :)
  • Options
    Okay I configured some ether channels today and I actually enjoy that on my live equipment. I was also doing some more reading. I started to watch the CBT Nugget about Cisco Express Forwarding. Wow want to talk about speed on layer 3 switch :)

Etherchannels is pretty easy. Of course I need to do more etherchannel labs but it's pretty straight forward.

I'm finding that a lot of these terms I hear aren't all that hard once you give them a try.

But there's a difference between just configuring it, seeing it work, and then REALLY understanding how it works....the latter part is what takes time to sink in....
  • Options
    CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Wow want to talk about speed on layer 3 switch :)

Its all about the ASICs icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Cyanic wrote: »

Oh yeah! Hardware beats software every time!!!
  • Options
    Cyanic wrote: »

Yes it is and the theory is always the hard part to sink in but that is were repeat of topics is good to do because it will sink in.