Options

CCENT Tomorrow

AliShaikhAliShaikh Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
For those who have taken it. Is it very in-dept or just general knowledge? Any tips for first time test takers?

Comments

• Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    I can't comment on the specifics of the exam. But my advice is to manage your time wisely. I failed my first attempt because I ran out of time and had 2 or 3 unanswered questions.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This is some stuff I've gotten from personal experience and on TE.

Time management is very important. If you know your stuff well, this shouldn't be a problem unless the test or computer messes up. Or the power goes out icon_sad.gif

Read the question, read the answers backwards (bottom to top), then read the question again. Select the answer.

Make a subnetting chart on the dry erase sheet for reference once the test starts. You can't make it before the actual test starts.

Use common sense on some questions.

For the output display. Read the question, review the output, and then read the question. Check the output and do the same thing for answers as stated above.

Be patient.

The test is straight forward. There's some tricky questions but they aren't that bad.
    Finding the answers from output can be alittle difficult at times. Whatever is on the objectives is fair game.

Make sure you get enough sleep. Get a good breakfast (no junk) and arrive at the testing center atleast 15 minutes before the exam.

Good luck on the test.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cisco Lists the exam topics over at The Cisco Learning Website -- you may need to create a free account in order to view it.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4987

You can get an idea of the question types by checking out the Exam Tutorial/Demo

Certification Exam Tutorial - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

The Verify, Configure, and Troubleshoot tasks in the exam blueprint could be things you may need to demonstrate on the exam -- so I'd say you may need more than just some general knowledge to pass the exam.

The biggest issue for people taking Cisco exams for the first time is time management. If you get stuck on a SIM, move on after about 10 minutes -- if you haven't gotten it by then you probably never will and you're just taking time away from the "easier" questions.

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Good luck! icon_thumright.gif Best piece of advice I can do is 2nd what Mike said, do NOT spend more than 10 minutes on a SIM. Next, read your question thoroughly. Read the answers, re-read the question, then select the right answer. I caught myself several times on the CCNA going to pick the wrong answer till I re-read what they were asking, I did it as well on my BCMSN and BSCI!! Mike recommended that when I was doing my CCNA and it has stuck since!!!
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can read the last page of my exam review for an idea:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/51728-stupporeds-ccna-progress-thread-4.html
    Read the question, read the answers backwards (bottom to top), then read the question again. Select the answer.

Terrible advice for someone like myself. I thought I was doing good for time until the halfway mark. Then I paniced and skipped what was really worth marks.
    Make a subnetting chart on the dry erase sheet for reference once the test starts. You can't make it before the actual test starts.

Excellent advice... Use that time that they give you to read through the Cisco rules etc (15 mins) to write down all your math for quick reference. It may assisst you when you are down to your last few minutes of crunch time. Just read the Cisco rules ahead of time before you go for the exam so you're not really missing anything.
  • Options
    Ok I'm scared icon_sad.gif
    The test is tomorrow at 3:00 P.M
    Of my friends(best in the class) got an 857. 2 other people(avg) failed and got 400-550. I would say im above avg, but from the stats that means around a 700-750 score which means fail.. AND they ALL said there was stuff on there we barely touched. HALP
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    AliShaikh wrote: »
    Ok I'm scared icon_sad.gif
    The test is tomorrow at 3:00 P.M
    Of my friends(best in the class) got an 857. 2 other people(avg) failed and got 400-550. I would say im above avg, but from the stats that means around a 700-750 score which means fail.. AND they ALL said their was stuff on their we barely touched. HALP

Don't be scared, go in and take the test with normal feelings (try to). You are you, no one else so your score is for you. Believe in yourself.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    These tests are very straightforward. Just relax and when you see questions that are kind of out of left field, take it slow. End advice: No matter what is put in front of you, never give up, never surrender! Now bring home the bacon! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    HALP
    It's only a test. It's only a test. It's only a test. And worst case it's a moderately expensive practice test.

Give it your best shot and hope for the best! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ummm yeah... don't lie to him! You should be terrified of this exam! It will be the worst thing that ever happened to you! You will be shaking when it's all done and over with! Good luck!
  • Options
    620/1000
    I have epically failed icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    BeatlefanBeatlefan Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JSK wrote: »
    I can't comment on the specifics of the exam. But my advice is to manage your time wisely. I failed my first attempt because I ran out of time and had 2 or 3 unanswered questions.

I also ran out of time (last 5) and would say this can be an issue. I think I spent too much time on some, honestly, "bad questions" trying to decipher what exactly they were asking for. Set a time limit for questions like this and be prepared to move on.
    I got a 757 but obviously needed another 15 mins to complete the test.
    Try to relax and give it your best shot.. Good Luckicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    620/1000

Ouch. What was your breakdown? The breakdown should give you an idea of where to concentrate your efforts.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    620/1000
    No, it's a solid fail -- but not epic :D
    2 other people(avg) failed and got 400-550.
    Now THOSE were epic failures :D

Post your score breakdown and we can compare it to exam blueprint. That should give us/you an idea of the topics/areas that need improvement.

It's probably just a good idea to head on over to subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online since subnetting questions give a lot of people trouble. Even if you got the subnetting points on the exam, you may want to get faster so you can save some time to use on the more difficult questions.

If your scores are low on the configure/implement/verify/troubleshoot tasks, you probably had issues with the SIMs -- so you'd need to head on back to the Lab for more hands on practice. The good news is that the SIMS are worth more than the other questions -- so a big improvement here can raise your score quick.

And the multiple choice questions shouldn't be as intimidating anymore since you know what to expect. Since there's a pool of questions you'll probably get a bunch of "new" questions and the breakdown by topics may shift a bit from what you had -- but overall you shouldn't be surprised by anything next time.

Going though the exam blueprint should help guide you to the topics you need more study on. The latest/greatest ICND1 exam Blueprint should be on The Cisco Learning Network Website. You need to login to see the topics, but it's free -- so go for it.
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4987

The old copy on the Cisco website is still available (without logging in), but I'd use The Learning Network Version as the "official word" in case there are any differences.
    640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    620/1000

Don't let a fail eat you up..As mikej412 says just look at it as a practice run.

How was your time management? Believe it or not you'll be alot more relaxed next time. One thing that I think really helps is to not just know the right answer on your practice quizzes, but really know why the wrong ones are wrong. That will help you get in the right mindset for the test.

Good luck, you'll knock it out next go round.