Options

Passed BCMSN

burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
Well after constant procrastination and on again off again study habits I passed my exam.

There were a few WTF questions that I didn't recall being covered in the book, self-study guide, but overall that one book covered everything.

I thought the labs/simlets were pretty cool. They weren't overly difficult but you probably couldn't complete them if you didn't know about the specific technologies.

So, I plan to take my TSHOOT in about a week, any advise would be greatly welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    What was your score? If you don't mind me asking :D.

TSHOOT. My recommendation is to review everything with BSCI / BCMSN, build a MOCK lab. When you go in pay attention to FINE details. In addition to that, look at the topology a head of time and figure out a "troubleshooting method" AKA plan of attack. My recommendation, is to start at the end of the network, client, and see how far you can communicate, limit the "problem area" to 1-2 devices, that way you can concentrate on their configs, or discovering at which layer the problem exists and which technology! Most of all get comfortable with the network and how it is supposed to be working, it will help you very much in your attempt! I failed my beta, and my try 6/5. I'm re-taking this Saturday, hoping to come out on top! PAY ATTENTION TO FINE DETAIL and you will be ok. That's my recommendations for you! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!!! You're one step closer to the CCNP!!! Good luck with your TSHOOT exam! icon_cheers.gif
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    What was your score? If you don't mind me asking :D.

I got an 850, no the best score but I'll take it. I did good on wireless even though I didn't study it a whole lot. My weak points were security features, and for some reason implementing VLANs (wtf?). Everything else was an 80-90%.
  • Options
    I got an 850, no the best score but I'll take it. I did good on wireless even though I didn't study it a whole lot. My weak points were security features, and for some reason implementing VLANs (wtf?). Everything else was an 80-90%.

Take it and run dude! Congrats. I hope everything goes well on your TSHOOT exam. When is the big date? I would recommend checking out the CISCO demo on Cisco's website so you can get a feel for the ticket structure and everything. Check out the topology Cisco has on their site here. It is available, take advantage, get comfortable with it.

In addition, don't forget to add your awesome BCMSN success to your Cert list icon_thumright.gif. I hope you pass TSHOOT 1st try. I go back 6/12 for my 3rd (including beta). If you have any other questions let me know man! Your almost there!!!!!! Your **** for chumps comment is always awesome and you'll quickly see, good luck to dumpers on this exam!!!!
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Congrats on the pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There were a few WTF questions ...

First off, congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    I quote that because I know the feeling now haha. It hurts the most when you're towards the end of the exam. The scary thing I noticed with these Cisco exams is you can never gauge how well you're doing.
  • Options
    First off, congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    I quote that because I know the feeling now haha. It hurts the most when you're towards the end of the exam. The scary thing I noticed with these Cisco exams is you can never gauge how well you're doing.

I totally agree with you rogue. LOL. Every time I think I passed, I failed, and when I think I failed, I passed. LOL. You just never know :P
  • Options
    I haven't scheduled yet, so nothing definitive, just planning for next week sometime. I have the lab topology, and will probably delete all the configs on my home lab and build from the ground up tonight.

I just got done doing the demo, and that is pretty cool. I got 0 out of 0 right on the first ticket but nailed the rest. Looks like I gotta brush up on my EIGRP.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm sure you'll nail the TSHOOT on the 12th. Best of luck.
  • Options
    NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    I have the lab topology, and will probably delete all the configs on my home lab and build from the ground up tonight.

I just got done doing the demo, and that is pretty cool. I got 0 out of 0 right on the first ticket but nailed the rest. Looks like I gotta brush up on my EIGRP.

Grats on the pass :D

Building the lab from scratch really helped me. I'm sure you'll do fine, it's really not as bad as it first seems.
  • Options
    BluetorchBluetorch Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing!

There always seems to be a completely WTF moment or two in every Cisco exam I've taken thus far icon_lol.gif

As far a TSHOOT, along with what was said find the TSHOOT practice test (I believe its up on the cisco learning network somewhere). It uses the exact topology that is on the exam as well as uses the same format of questioning you will see. It will help you be a lot more comfortable with the exam environment come test day. Good Luck!
    In Progress:
    BS - Information and Communication Technology
    CCIE Written
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
  • Options
    CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Congrats Burbank. Knock that THSOOT out of the park!
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    constant procrastination and on again off again study habits

That's a pretty accurate description of my studies with BCMSN as well. It's just hard to pay attention. It lacks something that BSCI didn't for me (and for others I think as well).

Congrats on your pass. I hope I do as well in a couple of weeks when I take the test.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    iproute wrote: »
    That's a pretty accurate description of my studies with BCMSN as well. It's just hard to pay attention. It lacks something that BSCI didn't for me (and for others I think as well).

Congrats on your pass. I hope I do as well in a couple of weeks when I take the test.

I know exactly what you mean. I finally got to the point where I had to sit down and finish it up. My advice is to just lab all the technologies, then go back and skim through the book for what you lab'd.

I think not having access to a catos, or a 6500 switch was the worst part, so I read stuff that I couldn't practice.
  • Options
    agent2592agent2592 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!icon_cheers.gif
    CCIE written here I come...
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think not having access to a catos, or a 6500 switch was the worst part, so I read stuff that I couldn't practice.

You mean these switches I use running catos which I despise so much might pop up in a CCNP exam? T_T Oh well, at least I have experience with them.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Make sure you know BSCI and BCMSN material for the TSHOOT exam. The best exam I've ever taken for sure! It was a fun and challenging exam. There were some TTs that weren't really covered in BCMSN materials that I've read so start reading stuff that weren't in CNAP BCMSN/BSCI curriculum or Certification Guide book. I wish I can point you to the right direction but it'll be against Cisco's NDA. Good luck on your exam!

Oh BTW, make sure you at least familiarize yourself with the topology. You don't need to know all the IP addresses and what not. Just how they operate. I honestly didn't spend more than five minutes looking at the topology before the exam. Heck, it was several weeks before my exam when I looked at it. Though, I gotta say that if I knew all the information about the topology then I wouldn't have to waste a lot of time moving to different windows just to get the necessary information to troubleshoot the tickets.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    I know exactly what you mean. I finally got to the point where I had to sit down and finish it up. My advice is to just lab all the technologies, then go back and skim through the book for what you lab'd.

Did you use the BCMSN lab portfolio? If so, did you find it helpful/sufficient? I've been through the lab portfolio once and I'm deciding whether or not to go through it again before the exam or to look elsewhere for additional labs.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    iproute wrote: »
    Did you use the BCMSN lab portfolio? If so, did you find it helpful/sufficient? I've been through the lab portfolio once and I'm deciding whether or not to go through it again before the exam or to look elsewhere for additional labs.

No I didn't use it. I just pretty much made my own labs. I had a couple 3550's and a few 2950's and just tried to incorporate all the technologies in the BCMSN into a working home network. Which worked out well because I basically recreated the tshoot topology without even realizing it.
    chmorin wrote: »
    You mean these switches I use running catos which I despise so much might pop up in a CCNP exam? T_T Oh well, at least I have experience with them.

You must be a 3C. Why are you still using catos switches? Tech refresh, then DRMO those bad boys, I know you have the budget for it.