Options

Packet Tracer

SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
Hey all... quick question: For the CCENT exam, would Packet Tracer be sufficent for simulations? I have a few legacy routers to work with in the house (1700s, 2500s, and a 2600) but they don't have the latest IOS version obviously. I obviously intend on building up a lab for the CCNP but I don't want to go all out just yet. Any thoughts?
Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)

Comments

• Options
    logicmyfootlogicmyfoot Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PT is good for CCENT, CCNA.You should be able to build up complex lab using PT
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In my CCENT classes (Cisco Net Academy CCNA Explorations 1 and 2), all we did was use PT for the main material; we used the real stuff for the labs and skill based finals. You'll definitely be fine with PT for this and the CCNA.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Packet tracer is very helpful but it just sucks that it doesn't have all the commands the CCENT/CCNA exams. I would suggest to start buying parts of the CCNP lab with the latest IOS so you can get some hands on and use full commands. Using PT and real gear is good so if you want to do a quick and simple 10 min lab, you don't have to turn on your gear.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    PT will be just fine. I used solely pretty much Packet Tracer when I was preparing for my CCNA. You'll be fine with it.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I swear I made a post in this thread earlier, but I guess I was wrong.

Anyway, those router that you have are a lot more useful than you're giving them credit for. Especially the 1700, which can run 12.4 with the security feature set. You can get pretty far with those, depending on how many and what configuration they have. And as far as the 2500's and 2600's, those are also still quite useful for CCENT and CCNA. Don't rely solely on Packet Tracer, make sure you spend some time working with the real gear too.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    alan2308 wrote: »
    I swear I made a post in this thread earlier, but I guess I was wrong.

Anyway, those router that you have are a lot more useful than you're giving them credit for. Especially the 1700, which can run 12.4 with the security feature set. You can get pretty far with those, depending on how many and what configuration they have. And as far as the 2500's and 2600's, those are also still quite useful for CCENT and CCNA. Don't rely solely on Packet Tracer, make sure you spend some time working with the real gear too.

Agreed. I have 2600s using a 12.3 IOS, and I haven't come across a command that I can't use for CCNA. I believe that 2500s can also be used for CCNA. There's nothing like working with real gear, you can't simulate a dodgy (flapping) cable with a simulator!

Another problem I have found with PT, it can be a little buggy..there have been several occasions where I could swear that everything is configured correctly, but for some reason I just can't ping a remote host. After tearing my hair out, saving my config, and shutting down PT, restarting it the next day solved the problem!

PT is pretty good, but if you've got the gear, use it.
  • Options
    The 2500's can run 12.3 as well.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No need to buy hardware when you can use GNS3, Also I have a Free CCNA workbook available that uses GNS3; check out the first link in my signature.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    mgeorge wrote: »
    No need to buy hardware when you can use GNS3, Also I have a Free CCNA workbook available that uses GNS3; check out the first link in my signature.

Your site is already in this sections sticky (properly attributed of course), I made sure of that a while ago.

But I still think n00bs such as myself still have plenty to gain by picking up a couple cheap routers to get some hands on. GNS3 still doesn't help much when it comes to layer 1 and layer 8 issues.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    biggest issue is the fact that i do not have a support license for these routers and have no legal route by which to obtain new versions of IOS. the crypto command for instance is nonexistant on my 1721.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your site is already in this sections sticky (properly attributed of course), I made sure of that a while ago.

Didn't even know it was posted there. Thanks :)

I did however just complete Section 5 yesterday and trying to get section 6 done today. Just published 6-1 which goes over static routing... After section 6; it all gets interesting ^_^
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    mgeorge wrote: »
    Didn't even know it was posted there. Thanks :)

What can I say, I'm the one with enough free time to file bug reports on the facebook page. :)
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503

But I still think n00bs such as myself still have plenty to gain by picking up a couple cheap routers to get some hands on. GNS3 still doesn't help much when it comes to layer 1 and layer 8 issues.

Layer 8....is that the User layer? :D
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Layer 8....is that the User layer? :D

Yes. I believe it was mikej412 that I stole it from. icon_mrgreen.gif