Options

Why is Vista stealing hard disk space?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I have to say I hate Vista with passion!

I'm using a loaner Vista and there wasn't enough space, so I deleted some music and got about 3GB of disk space. Without me dowloading anything, it's now down to 24MB !

What's going on guys?

Comments

• Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How big is the partition you're installing it on? How much free space did you have before the installation?

Even with loaner copies to use the trial version you'll still need to meet the system requirements and Vista has a lot (just like Windows 7 since both are basically the same with 7 just being a better tuned version of Vista really...) Also, are you using the x86 or x64 version?

Here's a link to the requirements for Vista just so you can consult that if need be: Get Windows Vista: System requirements
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It isn't Vista doing it. It is something else. You're "Blaming tfosorciM" when it isn't their fault. I'm not surprised you don't like Vista if you're automatically blaming it.

Vista will create some log files and some other housekeeping files as will any other mainstream OS but it won't suddenly create 3GB+ worth of it without you noticing. If it did then something else is badly broken and making it do this.

Go look at the other software installed and whatever you've done recently.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To go along with what they've said, where did you get your "loaner" copy? Did you actually borrow a Vista installation CD or did you download it via a Torrent file since there is no "legit" trial version of Vista for download online.

If you downloaded it then it's possible that it may be laced with some sort of virus that is eating up the rest of your hard drive space. Just a possibility.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I installed Vista when it came out my cat died and my house burned down.

True story.

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you just installed this on your comp then it may have done updates (many updates including service pack) which will take up a lot of space.
    If it's a loaner computer with vista installed it's probably something besides Vista doing the disc space usage.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    humdingy02humdingy02 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Shadow Copy feature could be using a lot of space (though not all of it like you mention). Even though it's not a usable feature on the Home versions, it's still running for some reason. I had a Home Basic machine with around 40GB wasted on this.

Open an elevated command prompt and type: vssadmin list shadowstorage
    It'll show how much is being used and how much is allocated for it. It may not be the entire problem, but looking doesn't hurt.
    WGU - BS, IT Security (starting Feb 1st, 2012)
    Remaining: LUT1,QBT1,DFV1,BOV1,HHT1,QLT1,RIT1,IWC1,IWT1,DJV1,KET1,TPV1,MGC1,CVV1,CJV1,KFT1,CNV1,SBT1,RGT1
    Completed: WFV1,CLC1,INT1,CUV1,CQV1,BNC1,GAC1
    Transferred: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,AXV1,CPV1,INC1,CSV1,COV1,CTV1,DHV1,BVC1
  • Options
    jrmeulemansjrmeulemans Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    powercfg.exe -h off
  • Options
    humdingy02 wrote: »
    The Shadow Copy feature could be using a lot of space (though not all of it like you mention). Even though it's not a usable feature on the Home versions, it's still running for some reason. I had a Home Basic machine with around 40GB wasted on this.

Open an elevated command prompt and type: vssadmin list shadowstorage
    It'll show how much is being used and how much is allocated for it. It may not be the entire problem, but looking doesn't hurt.
    Volume Shadow Copy is used internally by Windows. Its part of the System Restore mechanism and the backup/restore tool. It wouldn't suddenly use up 3GB anyway.

All that is lacking from Home is actually the GUI interface for VSS. The rest of it as you've found out is still running and you can use it like you would with other editions if you get a utility that allows access.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is hibernate enabled? If so, this could take up a couple gigs. Look under disk cleanup to see if this is the case.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    When I installed Vista when it came out my cat died and my house burned down.

I really shouldn't laugh.......... but I did. Sorry.

Anyway...

Why don't you just do a search for files modified/created today (or when the disk fills up again)?
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I said true story I was joking lol
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Yes, VSS or "Previous Versions" can use a ton of storage. I regular delete some on Server 08's at work and on previous version date can free up as much as 5-6 GB.

Clean up the old ones you don't need or just turn it off (although it can really save your arse)

EDIT: and even if its Vista Home
    The worst part is, although Previous Versions feature in not enabled in Vista Home Premium and Basic, but the snapshot backup of Shadow Copy actually includes all files including user data files, which is not necessary for System Restore function. This behavior eats up plenty of hard disk space and system resources, yet users cannot access the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]backups[/COLOR][/COLOR] of these user data files in the event they need it most.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Yes, VSS or "Previous Versions" can use a ton of storage. I regular delete some on Server 08's at work and on previous version date can free up as much as 5-6 GB.
    It automatically purges old copies though when you're low on disk space. It won't go all the way down to 24MB free.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    do a disk cleanup. You'll get your space back. There is a cleanup for system restore aka vss that will only keep the most recent copy.