Options

Where's Lammle?

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I enjoyed Todd Lammle's CCENT exam book and thought I would continue with the series for ICND2. After looking around the online book shop there doesn't seem to be one.

Did he not produce an ICND2 study book?

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think he did, all Sybex lists is a number of different editions of the ICND1 book, the full CCNA book, and the CCNA Fast Pass book.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    you're stuck with the full CCNA book for now
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    alan2308 wrote: »
    the CCNA Fast Pass book.

This book was a complete waste if your trying to learn. And even if your using it as a refresher it hardly covers the needed material for the CCNA. The book was littered with grammatical errors, but the worst part was that the book would say "In the next section we are going to cover X topic", but NO where in the book was this "next section"... it is quite literally a chopped down 380~ page version of his 850~ page book...
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Books just on the ICND2 are pretty limited, I used Cisco Press ICND2 by Steve McQuerry. I still needed another source so I used Richard Deal's full CCNA book and just filtered out the relevent chapters.
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    two words:
    Wendell Odom
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    toddlammletoddlammle Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Todd Lammle's CCENT exam book and thought I would continue with the series for ICND2. After looking around the online book shop there doesn't seem to be one.

Did he not produce an ICND2 study book?

You want to get my Cisco Sybex CCNA 6th Edition. Although it covers the ICND1 and ICND2, the ICND2 can cover a broad spectrum of objectives, and my 6th edition covers the latest ICND1 and 2, as well as the composite 640-802 CCNA exam. This book will cover the ICND2 exam for you. However, you must get hands-on. Use the cisco Packet Tracer or real equipment, but you have to use something.
    Cheers!
    Todd Lammle
  • Options
    toddlammle wrote: »
    You want to get my Cisco Sybex CCNA 6th Edition. Although it covers the ICND1 and ICND2, the ICND2 can cover a broad spectrum of objectives, and my 6th edition covers the latest ICND1 and 2, as well as the composite 640-802 CCNA exam. This book will cover the ICND2 exam for you. However, you must get hands-on. Use the cisco Packet Tracer or real equipment, but you have to use something.
    Cheers!
    Todd Lammle

Holy crap, Todd Lammle's a member of this forum!
    Cheers, I'll check that one out.
    BTW thanks for making subnetting so damn easy to understand. icon_smile.gif
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    two words:
    Wendell Odom
    Afraid Odom just doesn't do it for me. It's as painful as watching an Ashton Kucher movie.
  • Options
    Afraid Odom just doesn't do it for me. It's as painful as watching an Ashton Kucher movie.

Now here's a comment that's almost worth a negative rep. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    This book was a complete waste if your trying to learn. And even if your using it as a refresher it hardly covers the needed material for the CCNA. The book was littered with grammatical errors, but the worst part was that the book would say "In the next section we are going to cover X topic", but NO where in the book was this "next section"... it is quite literally a chopped down 380~ page version of his 850~ page book...

^^^^TRUTH^^^^

It was kind of like a very indepth high level outline of the big book.
  • Options
    Now here's a comment that's almost worth a negative rep. icon_mrgreen.gif

Because of the Odom bit or the Ashton Kucher bit? Careful which one you choose. icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    ZZOmegaZZOmega Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I don't know which to choose. Wendell Odom tells it like it is, you need to look no further than his material if you want straight to the point, no bologna answers and explanations. The downside is though, it can become a bit boring and tedious to pay so much attention to every minute detail.

The perfect balance;
    Cisco Press - Study Guide for ICND1 & ICND2 (Wendell Odom)
    CBT Nuggets Training Video Series for ICND1 & ICND2 (Jeremy Cioara)

Todd Lammle is great too and all, but I haven't read any of his books and it seems like you're having trouble studying the up-to-date material. Just lettin' you know what worked for me, cheers mate!

-Devon
  • Options
    Because of the Odom bit or the Ashton Kucher bit? Careful which one you choose. icon_razz.gif

The Ashton Kucher part. He's is absolutely without peer in suckatude. My mind still hurts after my wife made me watch "Dude Where's my Car?"

But I do like Wendell Odom. His book got me through the CNA when the course text books weren't doing it for me.
  • Options
    ZZOmegaZZOmega Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The Ashton Kucher part. He's is absolutely without peer in suckatude. My mind still hurts after my wife made me watch "Dude Where's my Car?"

But I do like Wendell Odom. His book got me through the CNA when the course text books weren't doing it for me.

LOL that movie is seriously far from good. If I had seen it when it came out rather than 2 months ago, I might've liked it. And yes Alan, I agree. I don't see any correlation!

Wendell Odom authors the latest and recommended Cisco Press CCNA study material, according to many(including Cisco themselves!). Now why would that be, I wonder?
  • Options
    ZZOmega wrote: »
    Wendell Odom authors the latest and recommended Cisco Press CCNA study material, according to many(including Cisco themselves!). Now why would that be, I wonder?

Absolutely, Odom has great credibility and his stuff is highly recommended. But I spent years reading tedious, dry study material and now my brain switches off whenever I see it. It just doesn't work for me anymore. Lammle's books show that learning can be interesting and effective, hence my preference, hence the thread.

I'll take back the Kucher remark; noone else can be that bad...

...except Adam Sandler.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    while wendell odom's books come across a little dry and often times hard to compute, the definitely cover all the material that's needed on the exam. he is quite thorough. i'm double teaming using both lammle's and odom's books. lammle's real world anecdotes make his book more digestible. i finished his network+ book in 5 days and passed the exam shortly thereafter using lammle as my primary and cbt nuggets (michael shannon) as my filler. can't complain there.

also, his subnetting method is by far the quickest and easiest method published. there's another one on this very forum that's also very useful. thanks todd!!
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Jr16Jr16 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Was the book sufficient for the exam or did you use any other resources? I too, have this book but it's digital.