Private Vlan

johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
Does anyone know of some good resources to learn about private vlans? Ive done a little bit of googling ad didnt come up with much.

Thanks for the help
CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I have a post about them on my blog. I think Stretch (Packetlife) does too.
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    thanks, im headed their right now.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
    Thats a great site!! Great info, keep up the awesome work!!
  • tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of some good resources to learn about private vlans? Ive done a little bit of googling ad didnt come up with much.

Thanks for the help

If you don't mind spending the cash, the SWITCH Cert kit that David Hucaby has does an excellent job on explaining them in his lab videos. In fact, I was pretty impressed with how simple he explains it. Just make sure you put your speed listening ears on, the guy talks at sonic speed. *chuckle*
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tanix wrote: »
    If you don't mind spending the cash, the SWITCH Cert kit that David Hucaby has does an excellent job on explaining them in his lab videos. In fact, I was pretty impressed with how simple he explains it. Just make sure you put your speed listening ears on, the guy talks at sonic speed. *chuckle*

I'm just waiting for my free copy to arrive he is sending me :) He seems a real top bloke! pity you missed out he was giving some away free on his blog.

Oh and the BSMSN cbt nuggets has a nice bit on them as well.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for my free copy to arrive he is sending me :) He seems a real top bloke! pity you missed out he was giving some away free on his blog.

Do you know who I am on his blog?
    Do you know who I am on his blog?

yep :) cause you have your own blog to ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    here is another question about private vlans. does anyone know if you can set them up on a cisco WAP? So no two wireless users can see/talk to each other.

thanks
    yep :) cause you have your own blog to ;)

Ok just wondering if I've conversed with you on his blog or not....

here is another question about private vlans. does anyone know if you can set them up on a cisco WAP? So no two wireless users can see/talk to each other.

thanks

Well you can do that with multple SSID's. Each SSID would belong to a different VLAN.
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

What notgoing2fail said. Check out this doc.

Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide for Cisco Aironet Access Points, 12.2(13)JA - Configuring Multiple SSIDs [Cisco Aironet 1100 Series] - Cisco Systems
    CCNP :study:
    notgoing to. yep deffently. I the one doing the labs in my head :)
  • tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□

Well, seems about par for me. Always a day late and a dollar shy. *chuckle*

It is ok, it was worth the expense.
    Is there a way to seperate hosts on the same ssid? For instance in a hotel setup the device so that no 2 hosts can communicate.
    Is there a way to seperate hosts on the same ssid? For instance in a hotel setup the device so that no 2 hosts can communicate.

There might be a way with VACL's. But I think this goes against best practice and maintenance could be a nightmare.

You could try setting a DHCP pool for guest users and creating a VACL not to allow any IP's from that pool to communicate with the rest of your network.
    many wireless access controles have prvt vlan you can set up for this very purpose. so host can't communicate with each other. look at the ciso wireless access controler range and you will see this function. nd you right many hotel or palces with open wireless access use this to keep clients seperate and secure from eachother.