Options

How boring scale?

timespacetimespace Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
From a scale of 1 (working at a call center or at an assembly line) to 10 (something like navy seal/swat), how boring is your job? Also, I'd appreciate it if you could list your title or position. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Network Technician II / National ISP / 5 out of 10.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    timespacetimespace Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    Network Technician II / National ISP / 5 out of 10.

That's what I was thinking. 5/10.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    About a 8/10. I'm the senior consultant for a VAR that does a lot of lean manufacturing work... we're constantly doing new projects to improve efficiency.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Administrator (both Network and Systems)

4/10

With that being said, I have extenuating circumstances that are causing my job to be extremely slow, for the past 1.5 years or so, and thats basically a lack of funds. Lately my job consists mostly of doing technician work, trying to keep older systems running, in particular older MACs (running os 8.6-9.2), and keeping them working with a W2k server, as well as newer macs running 10.6 (and every OS in between), Win XP, Vista, and 7 all on the same network, with an avaya phone system (over 100 phones), cisco switches and routers. All in all, its a very complex juggling act, that ive got down to a science, but could be so much better if more funds were available.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    8-9/10 | Information Security Analyst

I love my job, probably more than I should. Easily the most exciting part is social engineering. In the last 2 years in my job I've learned about double what I did in my entire 4 years of college. As I pick up on more complicated concepts and connect the dots, it gets better and better.

Sadly, I imagine that will drop a point or two when I have to start doing IT audits and risk assessments. Yawn.
    :study:
  • Options
    Xargon61Xargon61 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, what were the prerequisites for the Information Security Analyst position you've landed?

4/10 - Network Tech/Jr. Sys Admin
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It all depends on the day.

4/10 average. Sr. Lan Manager/Information Assurance Security Officer/System Administrator
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Xargon61 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what were the prerequisites for the Information Security Analyst position you've landed?

I'm the wrong person to ask. I was in the right place at the right time with the right friend. Ask Paul Boz or Dynamik. They can tell you more about the interview process and all.
    :study:
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    I'm the wrong person to ask. I was in the right place at the right time with the right friend. Ask Paul Boz or Dynamik. They can tell you more about the interview process and all.

I'm not good to ask either. I had drinks with Paul one night, and my "interviews" were simply brief chit-chat to make sure I wasn't socially incompetent. I was never even asked a technical question.

That goes to show the value of networking though (and not the bits and bytes kind). When speaking with hiring personnel, I almost always hear that they're eager to hire individuals that show promise, even if the technical skills aren't there yet. I definitely encourage everyone to develop as solid of a foundation as possible before branching off into advanced topics, but don't set unrealistic goals (i.e. mastering everything on your wish list) before you get out there and try to land a great gig. A lot of people out there will take a chance on you if you can sell them on your potential.

Getting involved with in-person and online social networks is a great way to get known. This site is a great example. I got four job offers (and several other potentials) from the contacts I'd made here when I was looking. If you're interested in security, Ethical Hacker is a great resource. I posted a position there a couple of months ago, and two of the guys that contacted me got offers. In the real world, consider going to some ISSA, ISACA, and/or OWASP meetings. Toast Masters is another great way to network with some professionals, and that will help you build some valuable skills regardless of your discipline.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm not good to ask either. I had drinks with Paul one night, and my "interviews" were simply brief chit-chat to make sure I wasn't socially incompetent. I was never even asked a technical question.

That goes to show the value of networking though (and not the bits and bytes kind). When speaking with hiring personnel, I almost always hear that they're eager to hire individuals that show promise, even if the technical skills aren't there yet. I definitely encourage everyone to develop as solid of a foundation as possible before branching off into advanced topics, but don't set unrealistic goals (i.e. mastering everything on your wish list) before you get out there and try to land a great gig. A lot of people out there will take a chance on you if you can sell them on your potential.

Getting involved with in-person and online social networks is a great way to get known. This site is a great example. I got four job offers (and several other potentials) from the contacts I'd made here when I was looking. If you're interested in security, Ethical Hacker is a great resource. I posted a position there a couple of months ago, and two of the guys that contacted me got offers. In the real world, consider going to some ISSA, ISACA, and/or OWASP meetings. Toast Masters is another great way to network with some professionals, and that will help you build some valuable skills regardless of your discipline.

Yeah same here. My current and last job interviews had some easy technical questions but were more "will you get a long with the rest of the team" type talk.

My current job I got ran through some easy Security+ type questions and then they asked me out to lunch with the rest of the team. They talked about hunting which I said I did not care for (I think they liked that I was honest) then they talked about Modern Warfare on Xbox which took up 20 minutes. Then movies we saw recently, etc, etc.

They wanted to make sure I was not some social moron I guess.

At my guard unit several people have gotten jobs by networking on the weekends.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    8/10 - Internetworking Engineer at an ISP

It really depends on the projects I'm working on at the time. I usually don't do the same thing for more than about a week or two so it keeps things fresh and interesting. I wouldn't feel right giving any IT job more than an 8 with 10 being Navy Seal though lol.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say around 5-6. Though some days it feels like 1-2...

Network Administrator
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Excitement? 10/10. If hacking into banks and dressing up like a pest inspector to rob them isn't exciting, than god, I don't know what is. Sure the job has its downsides but where some of my co-workers might view travel as a negative, I love it. I like feeling important enough to be on jets every other week. I like being in different cities and being familiar with the hotel industry (beyond night calls to Dynamik's mom). I like interfacing with large clients and exposing their security weaknesses. Report writing is a drag but I don't count that against the excitement of the job because when I'm two seconds from entering a bank with the intention to steal their data and assets the farthest thing from my mind is getting caught up on reports.
    Xargon61 wrote: »

There isn't a specific mold that all of our candidates fall into. Some of our guys came into the position with little to no security experience (myself included). Because its so difficult to find people with experience specifically related to what we do, other, more intangible factors come into play. If you've got a solid work history that's a plus. If you have certs which you've self-studied for that's a plus. If you have a lab at home which you can describe that's another plus. When I interview people I look for a certain mind-set more than a specific skill-set. Anyone can be taught to do just about anything but its often much harder to teach someone how to think about things the right way.
    8/10 - Internetworking Engineer at an ISP

It really depends on the projects I'm working on at the time. I usually don't do the same thing for more than about a week or two so it keeps things fresh and interesting. I wouldn't feel right giving any IT job more than an 8 with 10 being Navy Seal though lol.

I would rate my previous ISP experience as a 7-8/10 as well. There's just something inherently cool about working for the phone company / ISP.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Excitement? 10/10. If hacking into banks and dressing up like a pest inspector to rob them isn't exciting, than god, I don't know what is. Sure the job has its downsides but where some of my co-workers might view travel as a negative, I love it. I like feeling important enough to be on jets every other week. I like being in different cities and being familiar with the hotel industry (beyond night calls to Dynamik's mom). I like interfacing with large clients and exposing their security weaknesses. Report writing is a drag but I don't count that against the excitement of the job because when I'm two seconds from entering a bank with the intention to steal their data and assets the farthest thing from my mind is getting caught up on reports.

I would rate my previous ISP experience as a 7-8/10 as well. There's just something inherently cool about working for the phone company / ISP.

Almost sounds like a god complex, circa "Hackers" lol!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Almost sounds like a god complex, circa "Hackers" lol!

Explain how finding satisfaction in my job is a god complex? I've often heard the term used to describe brain surgeons but I don't do anything life and death. I'm not insulted or anything, I would just like some clarification.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    For me? a 6.5 to a 7. It could be better, but it's my most interesting yet.

I'm not working in the designing/project work which I would quite like to, but I'm doing a lot of network implementation, configuring and playing around, so I could be doing far worse.

I'm not unhappy with my job, I quite like going to work, just I would rather like to have a bit more responsibility and a bit more one-on-one project style work with customers network departments to discuss individual requirements.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    8/10 Data Centre Comms Room Manager

Job is really interesting even though it is mostly layer 1 but I work out how the theoretical design will be physically implemented through the comms rooms and into the tech halls in various data centres for many new and existing large name brand clients and government.

Work autonomously with the power and backup to make key descisions about the way things will be done with regard to WAN links.

Pay could be a bit more but I would still say that if they doubled it. 9-5 on installations so no overtime or shift bonus.

Then again, I have been there a couple of years now so it is getting near time to move on to something else.

In my defence, I have spent nearly 20 years working my way upwards and sideways from initially working on the helpdesk for several years earning next to nothing thinking I would never amount to anything in this industry.

Perseverance and informed but risky moves at the right time do pay off. Just got to keep bum on seat.
    Kam.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□

This is exactly the kind of stuff I want to get into at some point in my career; minus the dynamik stuff haha. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    -10/10.....yes negative 10/10
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is exactly the kind of stuff I want to get into at some point in my career; minus the dynamik stuff haha. icon_lol.gif

I agree, this would be my idea of a dream job. icon_cool.gif
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□

There isn't a specific mold that all of our candidates fall into. Some of our guys came into the position with little to no security experience (myself included). Because its so difficult to find people with experience specifically related to what we do, other, more intangible factors come into play. If you've got a solid work history that's a plus. If you have certs which you've self-studied for that's a plus. If you have a lab at home which you can describe that's another plus. When I interview people I look for a certain mind-set more than a specific skill-set. Anyone can be taught to do just about anything but its often much harder to teach someone how to think about things the right way.

This is a very good point and well articulated. I need to keep this in mind the next I time I see my dream job and don't apply because I don't meet the certification requirements... yet.
  • Options
    Currently I'd rate my job as being a 7-8. I'm tempted to say 9-10, but I have to have room to grow! I still have to deal with some mundane roles such as dealing with quotes and managing the internal ticket system, but my job as it stands today is like heaven compared to what it was 3-5 years ago.

My title is network administrator, but I end up doing system administration and IT management as well.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    2ndchance wrote: »
    This is a very good point and well articulated. I need to keep this in mind the next I time I see my dream job and don't apply because I don't meet the certification requirements... yet.

I thought that too until my experience with a recruiter this morning... icon_blackeye.gif

Scratch that. I know my skills. I know my knowledge. Their loss. icon_thumright.gif
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    About 3-4. I'm currently a sys admin at a govt dept. Almost nothing to do. Projects are all delayed due to red tape, delays in budget approvals and general bureaucracy involved with the public sector.
    Currently administering mailboxes and keeping a simple backup strategy from falling over.
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    I thought that too until my experience with a recruiter this morning... icon_blackeye.gif

Scratch that. I know my skills. I know my knowledge. Their loss. icon_thumright.gif

I don't know what experience you have, but what were they looking for if your certs didn't make you qualified enough to even get an interview??
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Here's a thread where I explained what happened.

I am definitely qualified for this position - case in point, i don't just ensure that entire systems are accredited, I actually write the accreditation packages.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Like some other people pointed out, that recruiter will be selling real estate in a small town before long. That was very absurd.