Options

What to do and where to go from here.

EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
Hello All, So I'm finally on my way to building a Cisco lab with real equipment. My question is what can I do with what I have and what is best to add to it. I know I don't have much.

I was able to get a Cisco 2801 router with 2 Fe ports and 2 T1 Csu\Dsu cards and looks like I have room for two modules. I also have A Catalyst 2960 48TT. 2 linksys SPA 942 phones I do GSN3 with a few images.

My path is to Renew my CCNA (long since expired) move on to CCNA: Voice then off the the NP and VP track. Can GSN3 interact with the real hardware ? can I use the 2801 for Voice ? and any trick the T1 cards into thinking they are actually connected to a t-1 ?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can GSN3 interact with the real hardware ? can I use the 2801 for Voice ? and any trick the T1 cards into thinking they are actually connected to a t-1 ?
    Yes, Dynamips can interact with real hardware -- and using one of the front ends like Dynagen or the graphical GNS3 make it easier.

The 2801 can be tricked out for voice.

Connect your T1 back-to-back with another T1 card using a T1 back-to-back cable. For voice the trick is to build your own PSTN using another router or two and connecting your individual site/branch/office T1s to your PSTN T1s back-to-back -- and pretending that's your real local Phone System (and doing a bunch of call routing there so your lab sites/branches/offices work like real world sites/branches/offices).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Fun Fun can't wait to get my hands dirty and put together a budget for a few more pieces of equipment. Should I get another 2801 for building a multi site PSTN
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Should I get another 2801 for building a multi site PSTN
    In a perfect world with an unlimited budget you'd just grab a bunch of 2811s....

Deciding (and researching) what will get the job done is a big part of the learning curve for voice..... And if you can find a solution that fits in your budget -- that's even better. icon_cool.gif

The sticky posts in the CCNA:Voice and CCVP forums should point you in the right direction (or at least give you an idea of where to figure out how big your Voice budget needs to be). :D

Since you can do a bunch of the routing stuff in Dynamips, you'd probably focus your hardware purchases on switches. A couple 2950s and a cheap third switch (2924-XL-EN) would get you through the CCNA and a 3550 or two (or 3560/3750) may get you through the SWITCH exam (but I haven't looked closely at the new blueprint).

You can also do some of the Voice Stuff in Dynamips. If you search the CCVP forum for blindhog.net you should find the link to their Video page for building a Voice lab with GNS3 -- and linking in real hardware to overcome some of the virtual lab limitations.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    is the 2924-xl-en layer 3 ?, I know some 3550 can be just layer 2 what do I need to make sure it has to be sure it can do layer 3 switching
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    . Can GSN3 interact with the real hardware ?

Check the CCNA FAQ sticky, particularly my post at or near the end. First, there's a link for the Free CCNA Workbook, which is close to finished (he's getting another lab or two a day up) and completely implemented in GNS3 (switching labs too). There's also a link to a blog post detailing how to connect GNS3 with real equipment.

I'd put the links right here, but I think you'd really benefit from going in there yourself and seeing everything that's in there. Plus I'm a bit lazy. icon_mrgreen.gif
    is the 2924-xl-en layer 3 ?

No, the 2900XLs (and their cousins, the 3500XLs) are the absolute bottom feeders of switches. They're completely layer 2, and missing some features when compared to the more preferred 2950 and 2960's. You can get by with them (note, all I have is 2900XL's), but they're really better when used as your third switch, not your primary switches. But as I said, look at the web site I mentioned already and you can do the switching work in GNS3 as well.
  • Options
    Should I add any other WIC cards in the two available slots which ones would be the bang for my buck to learn on ?
  • Options
    If this is your only router, then another T1 card and a T1 crossover cable as mikej said would be your best bet. According to some of the comments on Wendell Odom's blog the T1 WIC's are the cheapest WIC's right now and would be your best bet since you already have one. I got a T1 crossover cable from cablesandkits for a buck or two, and there are pinouts on the web if you want to make your own (another good learning opportunity).
  • Options
    i actually have 2 in the router at the moment are you suggesting a 3rd and 4th ?
  • Options
    i actually have 2 in the router at the moment are you suggesting a 3rd and 4th ?

No, sorry. I misread the OP.

Just get the cable and you'll be in business. And with extra slots still open, you'll have options should you acquire another router or two.