Options

Looking for some training

Howling MonkeyHowling Monkey Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently working on my CCENT/CCNA, and my company is allowing me to pick my training.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks a bunchicon_thumright.gif
This is the end and the beginning

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a real good experience taking the Cisco Networking Academy classes at a local community college. You can't put a price on having a knowledgeable instructor available who goes above and beyond the material that's going to be on the exam. Plus during the time I was there I had access to much nicer gear than I would be able to afford for my home lab (2800 routers, 2960 switches).
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stay away from these so called "bootcamps", those who claim you can pass the exam after 1 week of taking them. Save yourself the $2000. I'm talking from personal experience.

The Cisco Academy is a great way of going about it if you have the time to get to a class after work.

If you don't, I recommend the following:

Cisco CCNA Official exam prep books. (3rd edition I believe)
    Cisco Network Simulator from Cisco.
    Video Mentor by Wendel Odom (the Author of the 2 books I just listed)

You can buy all this on Amazon.

Depending on your knowledge, plan to spend at least 6 months on these books and the labs.

The books recommend a certain pattern to readying the 2 books and I recommend that, you'll see how it works out as you go through it. The ICND 1 starts you off with the basics and ICND 2 dives into more complex routing protocols etc.

If you master these books and the labs as you go through them (do the labs that match the chapters that you're reading), you should be able to nail this exam.

My .002 cents.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of people also like the CBT Nuggets videos as opposed to Video Mentor. Jeremy is so great, he can use a Fudruckers milkshake to explain frame-relay. :)

And which ever way you choose to go, spend some time here, especially the CCNA FAQ. There's free lab manuals, free ebooks, websites to practice subnetting, and a ton more.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    While I agree that anyone who says they can pass you in a week is full of $^#$6%^ I don't know if a bootcamp is 100% out of the realm of being reasonable. If time is an issue and your company will pay for a 1 or two week bootcamp just before you are getting ready to write it might be a good idea. You could save up any nagging questions you have and get a full albeit quick go through of everything.

Just my 2 cents