Options

Choice between 3 jobs all offering.

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
So I have a choice between careers right now.

1.) Stay with current full-time contracting company with benefits. Pay is not great right now, but they will pay for certs (1yr commitment with company) and that increases my pay. 1 hour commute one way.

2.) Medium-size private company I am contracted with wants to hire me on. A little more pay and promise of certs (haven't ironed out the details) Not really connecting with coworkers at this site, they're nice and like me which is why they want to keep me permanently though. Not too happy, desktop support is getting stale, but feel secure in my job. 1 hour commute one way.

3.) Friend trying to get me a job working as technician for Microsoft. Pay would be about the same as point 2 and they are upfront about me getting certified and increasing pay in the next 6 months within hire date. New and bigger environment. 30-40 minute commute one way.

I have expressed interest to all 3 parties in either staying on or interviewing for the new position. So, I guess I am looking for advice on what would be the best option. I can't say I am too happy where I am, but I feel secure in my job. Going to another contract for Microsoft would be risky, but I have a good resume and good references and I know some friends over there so I'm sure I could land the job.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    i'd go for Microsoft job, shorter commute and they will increase your pay within 6 months, and it looks GOOD to have Microsoft on your resume.

But ultimately you have to do what you think is best for yourself and your family, those 1 hour each way commutes have to be killer. and i do understand where you're coming from somewhat, my commute is a 30-40 min drive each way.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only wish I had your problem..lol
    Personally I would probably go with 3 for several reasons
    1)less commuting
    2) you know people there already and those people know people higher up who could probably advance your career
    3)They already said they would be looking to increase your pay after 6 months, and hopefully move you up to better (non-contract) position.
    4) less commuting, again
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    The Microsoft job.

Just think, if you ever decide to leave down the road, that's awesome resume dressing.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like earweed said I wish I was in your situation lol

But I also agree with the Microsoft option, I mean its MICROSOFT, I think that job is more secure than the other options and less commute time has to be awesome as well
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    I think I would pick Microsoft lol. Let the paradigm continue!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say the Microsoft job for sure.
  • Options
    so we all agree, in our collective wisdom, that you should take the Microsoft job!!

and get us all hired there too :D
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    can we get an update?
  • Options
    TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love this forum =D def. Microsoft, not a question
    Needs 100K