Options

Bl8ckr0uter's Security+ trek

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've decided to postpone my test until 8/11. Haven't had a chance to study much lately and don't want to risk failing. Should be wrapping up with cbtnuggets this weekend and then reading the Sybex review book. How are you guys doing?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm scheduled for the morning of the 12th. I still have about a third of Darril's book to read, and I've only watched 3 trainsignal videos, (which so far are extremely boring) so there is still lots to do. I also have my transcender to run through several times.

I think I could take the test today and do fairly well. I scored 61% on Darril's pretest, and the one transcender I did 2 days ago was 70%. So while I still have a lot of work to do, I likely won't need it all to pass, so I'm not worrying (yet).
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cool guys. I'm looking at August 13th or so. Probably no later than the 20th. The issue is going to be making sure I have enough time between jobs to do the exam. I am still on chapter 4 of the Network Security Bible and I am honestly not sure if I will finish it before the exam. I most likely will but that won't be a priority. There are a lot of things I can lab out in the book so if it takes me a little longer to get through it, I am ok with that.

At any rate, I finished Darrils book a while back. I have some notes I am going to go over and I will probably pick up some testing software.
  • Options
    ha 11th, 12th, 13th
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    ha 11th, 12th, 13th

Lol that's pretty awesome. I'm expecting us to turkey out guys! And I still want my 950 lol.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lol triple threat test taking!

Good luck all. I'm sure you won't need it icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Lol triple threat test taking!

Good luck all. I'm sure you won't need it icon_thumright.gif

Honestly I'm most worried about the legal stuff. I did the worse on those end of chapter exams and I was the most bored when I studied it.
  • Options
    Ok it looks like I'll be taking this at the end of the month when I have some free time. So now I'm shooting for the 28th or so.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    About time you've decided to schedule it.lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    earweed wrote: »
    About time you've decided to schedule it.lol

No kidding. I've seen shorter CCIE study threads :p
  • Options
    Im thinking of doing the same, havent studied in a week....
  • Options
    Ouch guys
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Im thinking of doing the same, havent studied in a week....

You should man. We could totally double up on blog post and cover all of the objectives lol
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Ouch guys

You should man. We could totally double up on blog post and cover all of the objectives lol

I've also been tempted to change it. I went to wefest last Wednesday and just got home last night. Without giving too many details, I only got drunk once. (Lasted from Wednesday afternoon to Sunday morning).

So now I'm feeling very behind. I'm still working on Darril's book, have half the train signals, and I've taken 1 Transcender. 3 nights studying from the moment I get home is still only 12 hours of study and to complete everything I'll likely need more icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    I've also been tempted to change it. I went to wefest last Wednesday and just got home last night. Without giving too many details, I only got drunk once. (Lasted from Wednesday afternoon to Sunday morning).

So now I'm feeling very behind. I'm still working on Darril's book, have half the train signals, and I've taken 1 Transcender. 3 nights studying from the moment I get home is still only 12 hours of study and to complete everything I'll likely need more icon_sad.gif

Man move it. Move it to the 28th. It would be awesome.
  • Options

I'm going for the 31st. It'll give me enough time to blog about encryption and certificates, probably my weakest point. Everything else looks cake.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why don't all 3 of you shoot for the 28th? You can IM each other while you're celebarting your new certs and getting drunken_smilie.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Why don't all 3 of you shoot for the 28th? You can IM each other while you're celebarting your new certs and getting drunken_smilie.gif

I refuse to bump it back. I might not be prepared as I would like to be, but I have confidence that I'll pass. Plus I already have the time off work. August 12th it is.
  • Options
    Darril's book is history. Well not quite, I still have to take the final, and I want to reread chapter 9 (encryption and hashing).

Watch some more Trainsignals and do some Transcenders, and I'll be set. The lowest chapter test I scored was 86%. That was chapter 9 and was part due to me taking an entire week to read that chapter and part because it is tough stuff. If I score 90%+ on the final test, I'll be feeling pretty good.
  • Options
    I refuse to bump it back. I might not be prepared as I would like to be, but I have confidence that I'll pass. Plus I already have the time off work. August 12th it is.

Ok Gangster. Well I am bumping mine back although I finished Darrils book a while ago, I am only on chapter 6 of the Network Security Bible.
  • Options
    93% on the final test. And two of them screwed me up because I read dvd RW as DVD r.... it helps to take a test when you know how to read.

I think I've got this one in the bag. I need to go back and review some port/protocol numbers, encryption, and probably some of the HR policy type stuff. Then I'll be golden
  • Options
    93% on the final test. And two of them screwed me up because I read dvd RW as DVD r.... it helps to take a test when you know how to read.

I think I've got this one in the bag. I need to go back and review some port/protocol numbers, encryption, and probably some of the HR policy type stuff. Then I'll be golden

Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll pass. I'm opening a new branch office so I get to configure the network gear, server, and workstations all by myself. Not much time to study.
  • Options
    Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll pass. I'm opening a new branch office so I get to configure the network gear, server, and workstations all by myself. Not much time to study.

I'm trying to parse through this pix config still and roll to sonicwall and a few new internal apps. I should be able to get it done by the end of the month.

I think he is going to beat us dude icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    I think he is going to beat us dude icon_redface.gif

Yeah, but I'm also going to copy down all of the answers like we talked about. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, but I'm also going to copy down all of the answers like we talked about. icon_lol.gif

You know I can't read icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    You know I can't read icon_sad.gif

Getting grilled by Transcender right now. Maybe this isn't going to go so hot. 70% is the best that I have done so far...
  • Options
    Getting grilled by Transcender right now. Maybe this isn't going to go so hot. 70% is the best that I have done so far...

Switch the date man lol
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□

Haha. You'll do fine. I used to get like 50%-60% on tests two days before the exam after getting high 90s for the "serious" study duration. Once the test is in front of you you'll auto-focus yourself and get into the zone.
  • Options
    Switch the date man lol

Haha too late though right? It's under 24 hours. Sink or swim Dbane icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Haha too late though right? It's under 24 hours. Sink or swim Dbane icon_thumright.gif

I still could (I think). Test is 9AM Thursday so I think I technically have until 9AM tomorrow to. But I won't. If I can't get it I can sure come close. I need to get moving back on the MCSE.

Transcender is pulling out terms that weren't mentioned in either Darril's book or Trainsignal. Such as an armored virus... wtf is that?
  • Options
    Took my first full 100 question Transcender. Many foreign terms showed up, but I did by best and walked away with an 86/100. I think thats a pretty respectable score, but I'd still like to see it in the 90's.

Now to go google some of these terms...